Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Anyone been to Key West?

We went last year on our motorcycle, but it was very short notice and I did not research the area first like I usually do. So we were clueless for the most part and only stayed a very short time. This year, we are going back again but this time we are researching all the things to do, places to eat, etc before we go. We have a room reserved in the old section right in the middle of the action, so that's taken care of. If you've gone, what are some good things to do and places to eat? Thanks! So looking forward to this. It's a long ride on a motorcycle from North Carolina, but fun!!

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Salem:
    We went last year on our motorcycle, but it was very short notice and I did not research the area first like I usually do. So we were clueless for the most part and only stayed a very short time. This year, we are going back again but this time we are researching all the things to do, places to eat, etc before we go. We have a room reserved in the old section right in the middle of the action, so that's taken care of. If you've gone, what are some good things to do and places to eat? Thanks! So looking forward to this. It's a long ride on a motorcycle from North Carolina, but fun!!

I was stationed in Key West when I was in the Navy, but that was waaay back in 1954/55. My child bride and I did a nostalgia trip back there just a couple years ago. The only eating establishment that comes to mind is the Turtle Kraal. It's out on a pier where they used to unload/store captured turtles - back when it was legal to harvest 'em. And there was a small place near Duval Street at the end closest to the Hog's Breath Inn. I don't remember the name of this little restaurant but it was converted from a house and you could eat on the patio in the rear. Seems like it was called Timmy's or something similar.

The other thing that stands out in my mind is the cigar trade. There are various street vendors all over the place but the only one I'd deal with was the Conch Republic Cigar factory. It was only a hole-in-the-wall place but I watched a lady roll cigars... She rolled one for me while I waited. I bought a handful of others here and they were pretty good, as I recall. They also have a website which I thought was interesting.

Key West is definitely more fun now than it was as a Navy town. I think Duval street is about 12 blocks long and there must have been 400 bars on it. At least it seemed that many.

Have a great trip.... Stay safe..... Enjoy.
  • Options
    P.S. Don't forget to go through Hemingway's house while you're there.
  • Options
    SalemSalem Posts: 717
    jlmarta:
    Salem:

I was stationed in Key West when I was in the Navy, but that was waaay back in 1954/55. My child bride and I did a nostalgia trip back there just a couple years ago. The only eating establishment that comes to mind is the Turtle Kraal. It's out on a pier where they used to unload/store captured turtles - back when it was legal to harvest 'em. And there was a small place near Duval Street at the end closest to the Hog's Breath Inn. I don't remember the name of this little restaurant but it was converted from a house and you could eat on the patio in the rear. Seems like it was called Timmy's or something similar.

The other thing that stands out in my mind is the cigar trade. There are various street vendors all over the place but the only one I'd deal with was the Conch Republic Cigar factory. It was only a hole-in-the-wall place but I watched a lady roll cigars... She rolled one for me while I waited. I bought a handful of others here and they were pretty good, as I recall. They also have a website which I thought was interesting.

Key West is definitely more fun now than it was as a Navy town. I think Duval street is about 12 blocks long and there must have been 400 bars on it. At least it seemed that many.

Have a great trip.... Stay safe..... Enjoy.
    Thank you for the information!!
  • Options
    Allyn with Marilyn in Key West. Yeah, I was kinda jealous, lol! image
  • Options
    Salem:

Is that Mr. Salem there.... Nuzzling up to Marilyn?? My my my.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't waste your time on Margaritaville there. It's a big gimmick. There is a company there that does snorkelling out on the coral reefs. It's about $20 a person (or at least it was in 2002) and they take you out on this massive catamaran, provide you with all the gear you need, and then you get free beer on the cruise back to shore. Other drinks are also available. It's a really nice afternoon.

If you like some good night life, I definately recommend Ricks. It's on Duval street. Lots of different areas throughout this place with live music outside. Don't drink too much of the Gold Schlager though or you may end up sprinting shirtless down the center line of Duval Street like I did!
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are looking for good Cuban food, go to El Meson de Pepe, absolutely wonderful. At the end of the restaurant is Key West Cigar City, probably the largest inventory of Arturo Fuente products I have seen. Mark is the manager there and such a wonderful individual. I spent about a hour and a half to two hours with him just talking cigars and getting some education. Also, if you are a drinker, ask him where the best Mojitos are in town (hint, you'll find them a few steps away. A little pricey but TOTALLY worth it. they make the ones at Casa Fuente in Vegas taste like toilet water).

A ton of damage can be done on Duval Street. Greatest thing I found there was that the majority of bars allow smoking inside, being from California this was a foreign concept to me. When I was there in December I spent a good bit of time in a bar called Irish Kevin's, no food served as it is just a bar.

Most of the cigar vendors on Duval were very nice but be very careful when selecting sticks. Most were underhumidified and the wrappers cracked quite easily. I second the suggestion about the Conch Republic Cigar Company. I got a few several years ago and they do age pretty well.
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    Salem:

Is that Mr. Salem there.... Nuzzling up to Marilyn?? My my my.
    Yes, that is Mr. Salem!