Home General Discussion
Options

Coolidor

Can anyone suggest what kind of cooler I should get to make a coolidor? Any particular brand or style I should look at? and how about beads and other things I would need to make this work? I'm trying to do this right the first time because I'm very OCD and if it's not done right the first time I usually give up on it. Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Options
    SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    A cooler with a secure lid, like the like someone would take to a large picnic. Coleman 48 qt cooler. Also I recommend leaving the lid open for a couple weeks before use, due to the plastic aroma of a new cooler. Clean it out with a mild soapy mixture a couple of times and rinse completely in the air out process. As for beads, either Heartfelt beads, or search amazon for Ultra Pet Cat Litter Pearls in the 7 lb box. You can also by the digital temp/humidity meters at most stores for $6 to 10
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Here ya go...this is what I went through. I use heartfelt and shilila beads to control the humi. Seal is great on it and the slits that are already there come in handy. I have 3 oust fans running in there, without the scent of course..

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/282331.aspx
  • Options
    IrishAJIrishAJ Posts: 135
    Thanks everyone for the help. I needed it.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    I bought these beads.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HWE6F0/ref=pe_175190_21431760_cs_sce_dp_1

I bought this cooler
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000G64I1A/ref=pe_175190_21431760_cs_sce_dp_p2

After much research, I decided to go for it doing the "on-the-fly" method, using the KL without any "training". I made five 1/4lb. KL trays, shallow, covered with pantyhose.
    I set those in the cooler, along with 6 full cigar boxes (which came from a RH stable environment) and multiple plastic trays with loose sticks (also from a stable environment) totaling about 250+ cigars...there's still quite a bit of room in the cooler.

I put it all in there (the KL being dry), and waited 12 hours, RH was at 58%. Moderately misted one of the KL trays. 12 hours later, RH at 62%. Moderately misted a second tray. 12 hours later, RH at 65%. Did nothing. 12 hours later, RH at 68%. Did nothing.
    It is now 72 hours later, RH still holding at 67/68%.
    It's still very early in the game, but I'm a happy camper.
    Very easy and cheap for me to set-up additional coolers now, which I'm sure I'll be doing sooner than later.

As a separate exercise, I am "training" 1/2 pound of KL using humicare pillows (67%), just to see if it works.
    This worked for me. Your mileage may vary.

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I literally put some old cigar boxes broken up in it and a gel jar... It's holding a couple hudred sticks and has never dropped below 68% adn stays at 70%. I open it daily for circulation, but honestly...they seal so well and hold RH perfectly, it is very little hassle and easy to do. I may buy some beads, which i sue in my humi's, just because I know they work so well...but have not had to at all. Good luck, and good idea...you will need it.