Home General Discussion

Problems using a punch

I used a punch cut on an Undercrown today and man the stick was tasting aweful. Like a real strong chemical taste. Then I noticed tobacco juice running onto my hand. I grabbed my straight cutter and nipped the end. The cigar then tasted fine. Anyone experience this before?

Comments

• slickricslickric Posts: 705
    I have had a few sticks do this to me. A hemingway was just bleeding tar all over my lips. That's es terrible. Everytime it happens all u can do is just clip the end off and keep smoking
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Its called love nectar....lol.
  • zeebra:
    Its called love nectar....lol.
    LMAO. My buddy was laughing at me as I told him my cigar was pissing on me. Ric, yah, I clipped that baby and she was all better. Just never had that happen before.
  • slickricslickric Posts: 705
    Yah man. First time blows
  • SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    It's a risk you take using a punch cut, more often than a normal cutter. I also find it more frequent on cigars that don't have a lot of age on them, especially a more robust cigar.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I've had that happen with a V-cut before. Seems to me to be more prominent in maduros or something with a particularly oily wrapper. I've done like you and used a giuillotine cutter and cut deeper/beyond where the v-cut was - took care of it with no more 'love nectar' (lol) after that. But that taste is so freakin bad it takes a while to get out of your mouth.
  • LOL, ya it was horrible tasting crap. My buddy swore up and down how nice this stick was, and I was sitting across from him with my bitter beer(cigar) face wanting to like it. Luckily I had a drink with me and a guillotine cutter. Decent cigar though after cutting it more. Got a free Drew Estates Natural Root and Tabakk Negra Toro with the Undercrown and LP T52. Nice lil evening.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I've never had that issue, then again...I never punch. I peel the head. I use my Xikar scissors to cut around the cap, peel it off and its ready to go! Better than cutting imo and you keep the whole cigar shape. The Undercrown is one of my fav cigars!! I'm glad it panned out for ya. Def give it a second whirl without the punch. That T52 great as well!!
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is interesting. I've used a punch since I started smoking cigars and haven't ever had a problem. I've tried a guillotine, a V-cut, and a closed-end guillotine and none of them impressed me like the punch. Maybe it's all in the way you use it, I don't know. What I DO know is that with anything other than a punch, I'm constantly spitting small bits of tobacco. That's annoying to me, hence the punch.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually use a punch but I've had the occasion when I had to pull out the guillotine because the tar tried to plug the hole.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if your RH is at or above 70% get it down a point or two.
    also make sure to smoke as dry as you can. do not slobber your cigar at all. both of these will help. they are a bigger factor than the cutter you are using.

i punched for years and only had this happen once. it was when i kept my cigars at 70% and wet my lips before every puff.
  • I've never had that happen with a punch. But when I do use a punch, I notice an increased chance of the wrapper splitting when I cut into it. That doesn't really happen when I use scissors.
  • LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    I have it happen frequently when I use a punch or even on torpedoes if I don't cut deep enough. I've been known to slobber cigars which I think that has a lot to do with it. That being said, I've never had it happen with parejos.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Been using a punch lately and haven't had a problem.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unthought_Known:
    I've never had that happen with a punch. But when I do use a punch, I notice an increased chance of the wrapper splitting when I cut into it. That doesn't really happen when I use scissors.

When you use the punch - do you twist it? Or just "Punch" it? I know that may be a silly question but I've seen folks do some funny things related to cigars.

When I was just beginning, I read somewhere that a person shouldn't twist the punch back and forth in a sawing-like motion... that it could produce a jagged edge to the cut, and that one should always just rotate the punch in one direction only. Since then, I've tried it both ways and haven't had any jagged edges as a result. Jus' sayin"......