Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Outdoor Kitchen

2»

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had Lyme Disease infection three times, once a co-infection with babesiosis, no fun. Cape Cod is a hot spot. Got to be careful how you remove ticks that might be vectors, squeeze them or burn them and they will regurgitate whatever they are infected with into you. Best approach with black legged ticks is tweezers as close to the head as possible.
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    60? Holy Crap! My Dachshunds would come home with a few ticks a summer. I was a kid but could pull them out at the head with a good pair of tweezers. Now as an adult I have two Golden Retrievers (brother and sister) and I have only found a couple on both, but they don't run as hunting dogs.   
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    My wife is afraid of ticks and when she adopted one of our dogs at the animal shelter and she was cleaning him up she found he had several large ticks on him.  I came home to find him in the back yard waiting for me to take care of the problem, which I did carefully with tweezers and a jar of alcohol to throw them into.

She's pretty rigorous about tick checks when we've been camping or hiking.

@silvermouse, sorry to hear about your battles with Lyme Disease, I'm glad you were able to overcome it.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    @avengethis that is my worst nightmare!  I get one and I freak out like a 7 YO girl. 

I still think pulling them out with tweezers is the best, and it can be fun to get/give a tick check to your significant other...
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need a SO, so I can take her out in the woods and perform the requisite tick check.

I'm guessing that's where the motivation came from for the BOTM thread.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, yes. The BOTM thread - sorta like a pantry to many of us.... Chock full of delicious-looking morsels....  B)
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Y'all think you're ever gonna remember this thread's title in a couple of years when you want need to dig up that old thread with the tick conversation? Maybe you should go ahead and bookmark it now. 
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    Y'all think you're ever gonna remember this thread's title in a couple of years when you want need to dig up that old thread with the tick conversation? Maybe you should go ahead and bookmark it now. 
    maybe we can get the mods to sticky this thread....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a tick burrowed into my backside while in the shower, three days before a flight home from the Congo, a quick google search came up the crimean-congo hemorragic fever which in about 3 days would have me bleeding out over the atlantic somewhere on the way home. turns out they really didnt have any records of tick related problems over there. don't believe everything on the internet
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    having spent three years in the north Carolina woods I learned a very simple trick.  ticks hate Avon skin so soft.   best preventative measure ever.  that and eat a lot of garlic.  on the rare occasions that didn't work I had to resort to the lighter trick.  damn that hurt but I served with a guy that got Lyme desiege and that was worse. 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I just noticed @dirtdude is from Green Valley.  Can you send me some pecans?

Never mind; not needed, I might be there in a couple of months.

I've heard about the skin so soft.  I really don't attract ticks that much, and I tend to be vigilant about them.  Lyme is horrible.  I know a guy that has horrible after effects years after contracting it.  He's basically in constant joint pain.  I know a kid who has it, but they hopefully caught it soon enough to avoid lingering effects.  

As to outdoor kitchens, I'd love one, but I don't even own my own place, so that's not in the works.  It would be great for parties at my place, though, if the landlord wants to spring for it.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah. I've got hip and knee pain from Lyme. Fortunately, I've also got good cigars to ease the symptoms, (I'm easily distracted, lol).

Just distributed a batch of Damminix tick tubes around the property. Mice take the permethrin-laced cotton batting to make comfy nests and the insecticide kills the ticks.