Home Cigar 101
Options

training silica beads.........

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
I found a good source for silica (yes it's the right stuff)....and after searching this Forum, I got an idea from a Kuzi post (using Boveda packs), and was hoping for some feedback on how I plan to train my silica.
Quite simply, I have a collection of Humicare pillows (67%rh).
So my plan was to put the silica into the trays I'm making (4oz silica per tray) and put two of these trays, along with 5 humicare pillows in a big ziploc bag.
I'll let that sit for 2 weeks, stirring the beads twice a day (morning & night)

I'm assuming my beads will be trained at 67% RH by the end of the 2 week period.

What say you KL experts out there?
thanks

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    I found a good source for silica (yes it's the right stuff)....and after searching this Forum, I got an idea from a Kuzi post (using Boveda packs), and was hoping for some feedback on how I plan to train my silica.
    So my plan was to put the silica into the trays I'm making (4oz silica per tray) and put two of these trays, along with 5 humicare pillows in a big ziploc bag.

I'm assuming my beads will be trained at 67% RH by the end of the 2 week period.

thanks

Hmmmm! Interesting thought. Knowing absolutely nothing about using KL for cigars, I'm afraid I can't be much help. Didn't know one could 'train' silica.....

I use something altogether different for my cat's litter box. Wouldn't be worth diddly for cigars..
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    http://www.cigarsmokers.com/threads/14766-A-cigar-storage-primer

I don't know anything about training silica but found the above on the internet that discusses it.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    KingoftheCove:

thanks

I believe if you read the information from the website ( at least Conservagel) they state that these beads are already "trained" or set at the appropriate thresholds before they leave the business. There is no need to train them, just use them.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    KingoftheCove:

thanks

I believe if you read the information from the website ( at least Conservagel) they state that these beads are already "trained" or set at the appropriate thresholds before they leave the business. There is no need to train them, just use them.
    I'm not buying "beads" already trained - I'm buying pure grade silica (cat litter) - by default, the rh capabilities for this kind of silica is way too low - hence the need to "train" it.
    I was just wondering if my proposed technique is something others might have done already, maybe using Boveda packs.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    KingoftheCove:
    laker1963:
    KingoftheCove:

thanks

I'm not buying "beads" already trained - I'm buying pure grade silica (cat litter) - by default, the rh capabilities for this kind of silica is way too low - hence the need to "train" it.
    I was just wondering if my proposed technique is something others might have done already, maybe using Boveda packs.
    Sorry. When I read your post you reffered to it as "the right stuff' and I assumed you were talking about the beads not the kitty litter. I have no idea about the kitty litter... I use "the right stuff". My bad.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    Sorry. When I read your post you reffered to it as "the right stuff' and I assumed you were talking about the beads not the kitty litter. I have no idea about the kitty litter... I use "the right stuff". My bad.
    No worries at all - I didn't ask the question properly. I know that "generic" silica needs to be trained for our purposes, unless it's introduced slowly into an already very stable environment. But I'm using it to set-up my coolidor, thus I need to train the beads (increase their RH "memory") ahead of time.