Home Cigar 101

Cigar vs cigarette tobacco

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
Is there a big difference between the tobacco used for cigars and cigarettes?   In how it is grown and aged, etc or quality.  I'm assuming there is but was wondering what it is..

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭

cigarette tobacco is only cured, it is never fermented. this means that the smoke itself is acidic not alkaline. there is more nicotine because of this as well.

thats just the tobacco. cigarettes have additives. cigars do not.
  • jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    kuzi16:

cigarette tobacco is only cured, it is never fermented. this means that the smoke itself is acidic not alkaline. there is more nicotine because of this as well.

thats just the tobacco. cigarettes have additives. cigars do not.
    This. Huge difference in possible addiction and carcinogens.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like the difference between a fine wine and MD 20/20.
    cigarette tobacco isnt "aged" either.
    the region from where it comes from doesnt matter as much. the actual growing isnt too different, however, they are planted and harvested differently.
    there is never any "reclaimed" tobacco in cigars either.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Different leafs aside apparently a lot of it is in the aging/fermentation process, which can take years. I believe that's one of AJ's strong points, how he ferments the leaf. And from pics I've seen, the man has a big leaf. Fermentation and aging bring out the natural flavors of the tobacco. Cig tobacco is cured only, probably quickly, and processed. Things are added to enhance the flavor as it isn't in the tobacco, and to cover the bitterness of the nicotine. I've read where they add nicotine as well. Sawdust, paper and arsenic can be found in cig tobacco too. Been smoking cigars for over a year now but still have a cig once in a while....yech! Last night smoked a year old 5-Vegas AAA and sipped some Crown on the rocks. A bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 and a Marlboro is no comparison, but for old times’ sake only, it was fun back then.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some cigs have attempted to go the "premium" route too. They only use natural tobacco and skip on the additives. Although I'm sure the tobacco isn't fermented or anything. One brand would be American spirit. I wouldn't compare it to any cigar though. I think premium in cigarettes just means no nasty chemicals. I'm not entirely sure about the quality of that tobacco. They could be 100% tobacco, but still use the crappy parts. I had a couple spirits, hand rolled, before I got into cigars. Kinda taste like chewing on a tree.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Gray4lines:
    Some cigs have attempted to go the "premium" route too. They only use natural tobacco and skip on the additives. Although I'm sure the tobacco isn't fermented or anything. One brand would be American spirit. I wouldn't compare it to any cigar though. I think premium in cigarettes just means no nasty chemicals. I'm not entirely sure about the quality of that tobacco. They could be 100% tobacco, but still use the crappy parts. I had a couple spirits, hand rolled, before I got into cigars. Kinda taste like chewing on a tree.
    by definition, a cigarette cannot be 100% tobacco. the only real difference according to the law in the us is that a cigar has a tobacco wrapper and a cigarette has a paper one.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    Like the difference between a fine wine and MD 20/20.
    mmmmmmm MD 20/20, brings back some good memories...and bad STDs
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    by definition, a cigarette cannot be 100% tobacco. the only real difference according to the law in the us is that a cigar has a tobacco wrapper and a cigarette has a paper one.
    Sure, that's true. I was only really thinking about the filler. Cigarettes are always gonna have paper. Mmm
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    kuzi16:
    Sure, that's true. I was only really thinking about the filler. Cigarettes are always gonna have paper. Mmm

Some machine-mades have a wrapper that's sorta paper - it's made from tobacco but it's still a paper-like product. I take your point - just pointing out something I consider a curiosity. :)