Home Cigar 101
Options

Maduro Filler/Binders

scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
I have a bunch of maduro cigars and I like em, but I was wondering are the binder and filler tobaccos also maduro in most blends? Don't want to rip up my good maduros!

Comments

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Yes and no. Some are both binder and filler some are wrapper and binder. I believe there are even all maduro sticks out there. I will see if I can find some for referrence.
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    laker1963:
    Yes and no. Some are both binder and filler some are wrapper and binder. I believe there are even all maduro sticks out there. I will see if I can find some for referrence.
    ////The Camacho Triple Maduro is absolutely the finest example of an all-maduro cigar.
    The A. Turrent, not so much.

• Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Steve2010:
    laker1963:
    ////The Camacho Triple Maduro is absolutely the finest example of an all-maduro cigar.

I am kinda disappointed that the A. Turrent Triple Play hasn't gotten very much positive feedback. Such a shame. Seems to have the right recipe for a great cigar, but for whatever reason, I guess they just missed something with this one. I haven't smoked one myself, but I am unwilling to spring for a 5 pack on the Sprintsale since they have gotten bad feedback... and I can get a Camacho Triple Maduro for only a few bucks more per single (and the Camacho Triple Maduro is a home run of EPIC proportions if you like maduros!!!)... so I can't say from personal experience... I just wish it was as good (based on reviews) as it should've been.

that being said, if anybody out there has an A. Turrent triple play they'd like to trade to me for something, let me know, cause I can't be sure until I smoke one for myself.

Now, there are several lines that have double maduros, however. Usually referring to the wrapper and binder both being maduro, or the wrapper being especially dark (almost black, also known as an oscuro wrapper in some cases), but I am sure there are some that are wrapper/filler maduro. As far as the double maddies that come to the top of my head... Punch, Gurkha, Sanch Panza, Rocky Patel... I'm sure there are MANY more. Alex or kuzi or doc could prob point you towards some other examples.

maduro as a process can be done to filler tobacco that may not necessarily be called "maduro". It's important to remember that "maduro" can be referring to a color OR a process... so there's a good chance that there are cigars that use maduro leaves as filler without us ever knowing about it. I would imagine that would be more common in higher end cigars, as the long fermentation process is undoubtedly more expensive than typical curing/fermenting... but hey... I'm prob getting WAY to technical to answer you original question, here, so...

in short, YES, there are cigars that use maduro wrapper AND binder, and even a few that use maduro wrapper/binder AND filler. Camacho Triple Maduro is the best example of this that I am aware of. Do yourself a favor and pick one up if you like maduro cigars.
  • Options
    BigT06:
    Steve2010:
    laker1963:

I am kinda disappointed that the A. Turrent Triple Play hasn't gotten very much positive feedback. Such a shame. Seems to have the right recipe for a great cigar, but for whatever reason, I guess they just missed something with this one. I haven't smoked one myself, but I am unwilling to spring for a 5 pack on the Sprintsale since they have gotten bad feedback... and I can get a Camacho Triple Maduro for only a few bucks more per single (and the Camacho Triple Maduro is a home run of EPIC proportions if you like maduros!!!)... so I can't say from personal experience... I just wish it was as good (based on reviews) as it should've been.

that being said, if anybody out there has an A. Turrent triple play they'd like to trade to me for something, let me know, cause I can't be sure until I smoke one for myself.

Now, there are several lines that have double maduros, however. Usually referring to the wrapper and binder both being maduro, or the wrapper being especially dark (almost black, also known as an oscuro wrapper in some cases), but I am sure there are some that are wrapper/filler maduro. As far as the double maddies that come to the top of my head... Punch, Gurkha, Sanch Panza, Rocky Patel... I'm sure there are MANY more. Alex or kuzi or doc could prob point you towards some other examples.

maduro as a process can be done to filler tobacco that may not necessarily be called "maduro". It's important to remember that "maduro" can be referring to a color OR a process... so there's a good chance that there are cigars that use maduro leaves as filler without us ever knowing about it. I would imagine that would be more common in higher end cigars, as the long fermentation process is undoubtedly more expensive than typical curing/fermenting... but hey... I'm prob getting WAY to technical to answer you original question, here, so...

in short, YES, there are cigars that use maduro wrapper AND binder, and even a few that use maduro wrapper/binder AND filler. Camacho Triple Maduro is the best example of this that I am aware of. Do yourself a favor and pick one up if you like maduro cigars.

I think I expected too much from the Triple Play. The bar was set really high with the Camacho 3M. I think if someone were to try the Triple Play without any expectations, they might enjoy it. It's not a BAD smoke, but for a little more, I can smoke the Camacho.

• Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Usually it's just the wrapper that's maduro, with several exceptions of course. Like mentioned by others, if the binder and/or filler are maduro as well the cigar maker typically puts reference to that in the name (althogh there may be some exceptions to this that i'm not aware of). I've never had the Camacho Triple Maduro but hear it's fantastic (triple maduro = wrapper, binder, filler are all maduro)

The only maduro wrapper/binder cigars I've had are:
    CAO Mx2 (stands for maduro times 2) - nice stick
    Rocky Patel Fusion MM aka Double Maduro (hit or miss, but I've had some good ones. These are discontinued)
    Cusano Paired Maduro - really nice stick for the price that seems to fly under the radar.
  • Options
    Heavy:
    Usually it's just the wrapper that's maduro, with several exceptions of course. Like mentioned by others, if the binder and/or filler are maduro as well the cigar maker typically puts reference to that in the name (althogh there may be some exceptions to this that i'm not aware of). I've never had the Camacho Triple Maduro but hear it's fantastic (triple maduro = wrapper, binder, filler are all maduro)

Rocky Patel Fusion MM aka Double Maduro (hit or miss, but I've had some good ones. These are discontinued)
    Cusano Paired Maduro - really nice stick for the price that seems to fly under the radar.

Back in 2006, I tried the Gurkha Doble Maduro. At the time, I thought it was a pretty tasty smoke. Not very complex, but not bad. I tried one recently, and didn't enjoy it at all.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Steve2010:
    Heavy:

Back in 2006, I tried the Gurkha Doble Maduro. At the time, I thought it was a pretty tasty smoke. Not very complex, but not bad. I tried one recently, and didn't enjoy it at all.
    Forgot about that one. I think I have one buried in the humi but have never tried one. I kinda felt the same way about the RP MM, but from what I read those were very hit or miss so I'm not sure if my tastes changed, or if one of the later ones that I smoked was a 'miss'.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I'm a fan of the Cusano paired maduro. So far the few I've tried have been real good and can get them for a decent price. Haven't had the chance to try the Camacho yet.
  • Options
    Roberto99:
    I'm a fan of the Cusano paired maduro. So far the few I've tried have been real good and can get them for a decent price. Haven't had the chance to try the Camacho yet.

I have yet to meet a BoTL that has tried it and didn't like it. When I hear the word maduro, the Camacho Triple is the first thing that comes to mind.
    I believe that every BoTL deserves to try it once in their lifetime.
    But then, there would be less for me, so never mind.

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    Steve2010:
    laker1963:

Pm to you BigT
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Heavy:
    thats the one i was gunna bring up as something i liked.
    Heavy:

i was NOT a fan of this cigar. though it does have the Maduro binder.
    Heavy:

this was a cigar that i used to enjoy quite a bit. i would never have thought to bring this up but it really is a great cigar. im glad you mentioned it. fantastic.