Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Montecristo Platinum Robusto

brc81brc81 Posts: 249
Had a Montecristo Platinum robusto this even while enjoying the nice weather. Overall I wasn't as impressed as I was hoping to be. First impression was great. The pre-light aroma was excellent. After a quick cut with the guillotine cutter and check of the draw everything was in line to be a great smoke. Draw was just right. Lit the cigar with my trusty $3 Ronson butane lighter. Started of a mild smoke but eventually developed into more medium smoke. The flavor profile was was mostly a leather taste. The biggest problem of the whole smoke was the burn. It was very uneven and after half way I had tunneling issues.

Here is how I'd rate it:

Construction: 9/10

Burn: 4/10

Flavors: 7/10

Overall: 6.5/10

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    tunneling issues... man i hate those the most.

try to smoke a tiny bit faster and it may prevent this.

but as you probably already know, not too fast. that will cause it to burn hot and be harsh and bitter.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I've had bad luck with monte's. I do remember liking the white but that is it. I had a noche earlier this week and wasn't overly impressed.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I've never had a badly constructed Monte. Haven't had a Platinum yet, though. (I do have a couple in the humi.) I'll be curious to see how they smoke. It's not unheard of for a maker to have one line that isn't quite up to standards -- rolled in a different factory or whatever.
  • Options
    brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    It would have been a decent smoke had the tunneling issues not been present. I have two more left in the humi. Hopefully, they will be a better experience, or I'll have another one on my do not buy list.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    giving it some rest could do well. sometimes time in the box will fix burn problems because the humidity and oils have time to even out.