Home General Discussion
Options

NY Taxes

So I was just reading a review at RobbyRas site when I came across something I just had to ask about. here is something I cut from his site...

So is the case with the Alec Bradley New York. It is only available from New York State Retail tobacconists. The goal is to help them overcome the tobacco tax (75 percent of the wholesale cost of a cigar) that NY enacted in 2010. “It’s a cigar we’re only going to sell at New York retailers. With New York getting hammered [by tobacco taxes] as much as it is, it’s good timing,” says Alan Rubin of Alec Bradly Cigars.

Do we have any BOTL from NY on the forums? How do you purchase your cigars if you live in NY? This level of taxes would put NY BOTL close to the level we are asked to pay for sticks here in Canada. I feel for you guy's... it can sure put a damper on your cigar purchases.

Comments

• Options
    LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    My favorite local cigar shop closed shortly after the tax hike. The only time I go to a B&M now is if I'm out of town and find one.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    LeftFive:
    My favorite local cigar shop closed shortly after the tax hike. The only time I go to a B&M now is if I'm out of town and find one.
    Mine's shelves are getting bare.. Poor guy can't afford to reup on the boxes.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I'd be glad to do a shipping re-direct for any NY brothers in need of cigars that I can find. The two B&M's that are near me carry a lot of Ashton, LFD, etc. etc. Let me know what you want and I'll check it out for ya.
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    I currently live in NY and will be relocating to VT real soon. Hate NY and all there BS taxes! Perfect case in point I meet up with Randall aka Direwolf and grabbed a few AF WOAM for 16.50 ..... I'm in training down in VA and met up with Enfidel and Carlos aka icedgaurdianx ..... Same stick 8 bucks.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    laker1963:
    So I was just reading a review at RobbyRas site when I came across something I just had to ask about. here is something I cut from his site...

So is the case with the Alec Bradley New York. It is only available from New York State Retail tobacconists. The goal is to help them overcome the tobacco tax (75 percent of the wholesale cost of a cigar) that NY enacted in 2010. “It’s a cigar we’re only going to sell at New York retailers. With New York getting hammered [by tobacco taxes] as much as it is, it’s good timing,” says Alan Rubin of Alec Bradly Cigars.

Do we have any BOTL from NY on the forums? How do you purchase your cigars if you live in NY? This level of taxes would put NY BOTL close to the level we are asked to pay for sticks here in Canada. I feel for you guy's... it can sure put a damper on your cigar purchases.
    I was shocked when I read this as well... that's crazy high!
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Those AB NYs that I sent were about the last ones my store has had. Hopefully the bill passes for a more fair tax on sticks here
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been wondering how anyone can afford to buy cigars up there. Thank goodness for CCOM huh?
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Just another reason why I say the government is worse than the mafia!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    zeebra:
    Just another reason why I say the government is worse than the mafia!
    In some cases it can be. thing is there is a lot of hate for smokers. And cigars get lumped in them as well. I personally think these huge taxes on tobacco are out of control.
  • Options
    JayoJayo Posts: 76
    I buy mine on CCOM or other sites. Time to time, I go to local B&M, and get house blend or pipe tobacco. Even though the tax is 75% in NY, my b&m has cheaper pipe tobacco price than online store by small quantity. Even their cigar prices are close or cheaper than MSRP. I guess I am lucky? haha
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's scary... it could happen in any state. Ridiculously high taxes. I'm sure there'd be lots of supporters. And online companies wont be exempt for long. There's legislation out now for companies like Amazon. Man, and I wanted to open my own store someday. Sad days
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    i only buy select things from my shop, and mostly order from CCOM. I did recently pay $400 for a box of T52 beli, with a bunch of freebies.
  • Options
    ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    I think my state is 68 percent on the shop before they can put it on the shelf
  • Options
  • Options
    Sorry I can't get the link to pop up, I'm working off my phone and its just not happening.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Massachusetts isn't too much better. 30% tax on top of 6.25% sales tax. :(