Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Took a free fall ...

Saturday started out like a good day . I got up early , took my chainsaw to the local hardware for sharpening and picked up a few things . Back home to attack 3 trees on the back of my lot , We call them thorn trees , not sure official name , but they have what look like spikes rather than thorns about 1 and 1/2 inches to 2 inches long and they hurt like a mother if you get into them . Doesn't take long to drop all three and then sawing off limbs and etc . The plan was to take them to my wifes mothers land where they have a huge bank about 100 feet high that goes down to a large creek at the end of her property . Now this bank has been used to discard all kinds of building materials , boards with nails in them , jagged metal , broken pottery , rusty tin , busted glass , bricks , blocks and now two truck loads of said thorn limbs . Well I was pulling a particularly large limb to the edge when it twisted in my hand and these thorns are digging in deep enough to bring blood . It was then I guess I was paying too much attention to them and not enough to how close I was to the edge of this bank .

Well , I felt something hit me in the back of the legs and looked down just in time to see a stack of cinder blocks in the weeds as I flipped backwards over them and down the bank !!! I only dropped about 5-6 feet but cracked my head on a brick ( have a nice knot from that and SORE ) , landing in these damn thorns , twisted metal , broken glass , and some rusty sharp metal and I'm upside down !!! Everytime I move I can feel thorns and glass cutting into me . With my wifes help I finally get my feet under me while she is holding onto my shirt to keep my balance so I dont go any further down . Dang I didn't realize how strong that woman is !!! At the top I'm pouring blood and my shirt is shredded and I can feel blood running down my back . All in all , I have a sprained right ankle , a severly sprained and swollen left wrist and my lower back is a dull throbbing pain . My arms from the elbows down and my hands , well , I look like a emo kid lol . My buttocks and lower back took most of the glass and took my wife about 5-10 minutes to pick the glass out with tweezers and a needle . Could of been a lot worse had I went all the way to the bottom . Took a couple of Hydrocodone and a long soaking tub with epson salts and think I will just hang out on the deck and smoke cigars tommorow and grill some steaks . Anything as long as it does not involve the da_mn thorn trees !!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Holy chit Gene, glad to hear you're mostly okay. Be careful out there.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Holy chit Gene, glad to hear you're mostly okay. Be careful out there.
    x2, if you start feeling bad/different please have that head checked and be dang sure you dont get a clot, never know, look at the guy >http://articles.nydailynews.com/2009-06-28/news/17926055_1_billy-mays-mays-death-landing
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Man I'm glad you weren't seriously injured. Hope you heal quickly.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    At the least Geno, please get a tetanus shot! And no more of this foolishness please... hope you heal well and quickly brother.

• Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Thanks guys , I think I'm gonna be really sore for a few days but hopefully thats all .
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Hope you feel better soon bud. I got to say, the visual you painted made me LOL while reading it. I did feel your pain too, but the comedic elemant of the whole situation took over for me. Sorry Gene, you know I love ya' bro'.
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Holy crap man!!! Thats awful!! Hope you don't get any infections from the cuts and punctures!!

Maybe its time to surpise the Mother-In-Law with a hillside clean up!! Hire some local help to dig up the junk on the hill. Dispose of it properly and only throw "green" trash over the hill.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a crazy day for you. Glad you are okay and didn't get seriously injured. If you aren't feeling right when you wake up get checked out.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Glad your okay, man. Maybe now you'll just go to the dump instead of dumping trash into the watershed???
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    At the least Geno, please get a tetanus shot!

A big +1 to this. Make sure that's definitely up to date.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Sounds like something that'd happen to me. Glad it wasn't worse!
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    skweekz:
    The Sniper:

+2. Hopefully you can enjoy a cigar and steak tomorrow. Hope you feel better tomorrow as well.

Rob
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta watch that first step it's a dusie. Glad you made it out with only minor injuries.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    skweekz:
    The Sniper:

++++++++ Don't fool around with it, just go get one, and make sure you don't have a concussion.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    JDH:
    skweekz:
    The Sniper:

++++++++ Don't fool around with it, just go get one, and make sure you don't have a concussion.
    This! Glad to hear you are doing ok though brother. Feel better soon
  • Options
    JDH:
    skweekz:
    The Sniper:

+4. If you haven't had one within the last 10 years, get one. If you're unsure or close to the ten, get one. Don't mess around.

Tetanus... DO NOT WANT.

• Options
    bigharpoon:
    Glad your okay, man. Maybe now you'll just go to the dump instead of dumping trash into the watershed???

Actually all the building material and " junk " was dumped there by the previous owner who was a contractor - handy man . To one side of this hill/bank was an old cement swimming pool . The previous owner built this himself as well . My father-in-law before he passed away Mar 8 , 2010 had talked about cleaning this bank off and putting a lot of it in the cement pool and covering it up with dirt since he did not want the pool and it had problems . Unfortunatly , due to cancer , he did not live long enough to see this project thru . The only thing we have added to it was some tree branches and leaves .

I don't think you could get anyone to take the job of cleaning this area up due to the steepness/hard to get to / and impossible to get vehicles / tractors etc into it and the price would probably be too high if someone did try to tackle it . When my father -in -law was talking about cleaning it up he wanted to do it himself a little at a time . There are a lot of snakes in this area and this was a real concern for a summer clean up . But it is what it is . I will not be going back to it for sure !!! I would love to see all this junk gone and re-placed by NICE SOFT GREEN GRASS !!!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the well wishes guys . I will definitly call my family doctor to see when my last tetnus shot was , and if needed get another . Really sore today but recooping quite well .
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Gene, I am glad that you are resouping well. Calling the family doctor is a great decision. I hope all continues to go well and the doctor gives you some good news. (I HATE shots)
  • Options
    laker1963:
    Hope you feel better soon bud. I got to say, the visual you painted made me LOL while reading it. I did feel your pain too, but the comedic elemant of the whole situation took over for me. Sorry Gene, you know I love ya' bro'.

Well bro I'm glad you were able to get some good from it !!! I'm sure it looked funny to anyone who could have seen it ... me going head first and screamin' like a bangii !!! Damn it happened fast but don't all accidents .

My wife said it was my own fault because when she said it was dangerous on the bank and she didn't think it was a good idea she CLAIMS I said " if you just pay attention to what your doing you will be fine ! " . Now really , does that sound like something I would SAY !?!?!?
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Wow Geno, sorry to hear about that bad day.. You better take it easy, that could have been a lot worse.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    gmill880:
    laker1963:

Well bro I'm glad you were able to get some good from it !!! I'm sure it looked funny to anyone who could have seen it ... me going head first and screamin' like a bangii !!! Damn it happened fast but don't all accidents .

My wife said it was my own fault because when she said it was dangerous on the bank and she didn't think it was a good idea she CLAIMS I said " if you just pay attention to what your doing you will be fine ! " . Now really , does that sound like something I would SAY !?!?!?
    LMAO . Too funny Gene. Why is there always a woman in our life to tell us not only how stupid we are, but also to mention that they "told you so".

I like your wife. She takes it to a whole new level... telling you what YOU said just before things went so horribly wrong. CLASSIC !
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Damn Gene, that could have been ALOT worse. Glad it wasn't too serious.

"Long ashes my friends."