Home General Discussion

Ever had to take a break?

catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
Ever since the 1st of this year when I had a few days to try some smokes, I've been smoking almost daily. I'm at that point now where I keep experiencing amazing smokes and then buying bulk... I used to smoke maybe once a week and really enjoyed it, for most of last year, but today I ran into two smokes I put out...one of which is an all time favorite. I'm in this weird noob transistion from noob, to now I know what I like, but it seems like the habit of trying as many as I can is taking away from the enjoyment a bit I guess. That being said, I think I need a little break...like a week or two to get back to the enjoyment of finding the time to sit down, relax, and enjoy a cigar. I haven't had to put one out in a long time, let alone two so it got me thinking. Anyone else experience this? All last year I bought singles and samplers and narrowed down what I like, guess I'm just over that phase.

Comments

• It will do wonders for you, I'm actually going through that right now. For the last year, I smoked multiple sticks per day and was 100% burnt out. This winter, I decided that I would no longer be smoking in my house....which cut me down to about one stick a week, IF that. My palate has come back, AND THEN SOME! I can taste flavors a lot better than before, and sticks are way more enjoyable. I hope you have the same experience!
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, this happened to me. I decided I wasn't strong enough on my own so I paid about $6,000.00 for oral surgery and it is taking me out of the smoking game for at least 8 months. I guess some are just smarter than me and can do it on their own, LOL.

Now, what to do about this buying problem.............
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Kind of going through this right now myself. I've smoked maybe three or four cigars in the last month. During warmer months I smoke EVERY DAY. I just get burned out, and need a break from smoking, to get the enjoyment back.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    AJGARLETT:
    It will do wonders for you, I'm actually going through that right now. For the last year, I smoked multiple sticks per day and was 100% burnt out. This winter, I decided that I would no longer be smoking in my house....which cut me down to about one stick a week, IF that. My palate has come back, AND THEN SOME! I can taste flavors a lot better than before, and sticks are way more enjoyable. I hope you have the same experience!
    Like BandyT09, I won't stop buying...and plan on a few boxes this week actually, with a large package arriving Wed. It seemed like I had been on a streak of every cigar i smoked was unreal...then two in a row today that just blew and I couldn't believe one was a Padron which has been my favorite for years. Weird...next week I am taking a week off work to jsut relax and get work done around the house since I never take time off.... Honestly, I think I made time to smoke, as opposed to taking the time to relax, which is my problem.
    AJGARLETT:
    It will do wonders for you, I'm actually going through that right now. For the last year, I smoked multiple sticks per day and was 100% burnt out. This winter, I decided that I would no longer be smoking in my house....which cut me down to about one stick a week, IF that. My palate has come back, AND THEN SOME! I can taste flavors a lot better than before, and sticks are way more enjoyable. I hope you have the same experience!
    Like BandyT09, I won't stop buying...and plan on a few boxes this week actually, with a large package arriving Wed. It seemed like I had been on a streak of every cigar i smoked was unreal...then two in a row today that just blew and I couldn't believe one was a Padron which has been my favorite for years. Weird...next week I am taking a week off work to jsut relax and get work done around the house since I never take time off.... Honestly, I think I made time to smoke, as opposed to taking the time to relax, which is my problem.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    When I started up again 18 months ago or so, after a LONG (many years) break, time constraints and such limited my smoking periods from Friday 4pm to Sunday night. With a handful of exceptions, I have stuck to that routine.

During that 48+ hour period I'll typically smoke anywhere from 1 to 6 cigars, 3 being about average.
    There have been a few weekends during that time where I didn't smoke, for whatever reason.
    I still look forward to Friday nights, because I know I'm going to get a cigar! I even usually have it picked out by Wednesday, so the anticipation builds.
    I am quite certain, that if I smoked cigars daily (even if only one a day) I would get burned out pretty quick......don't think I'd last a month actually. On those weekends where I actually do have 6 cigars, almost every time the following weekend I'll only smoke one or two...........because that's all I feel like smoking.

I'm thinking that is the best bet honestly... I jsut get excited as all heck man...just bought more Ave Lionhearts on the SS tonight too...
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    With the exception of meeting up with Kuzi last night and a possible herf next month with some of the forum members, I am taking off until about mid April. Before last night it had been exactly 2 weeks since I'ld had a cigar, and my first one last night was my first go round with an Anejo. What a fantastic stick on a fresh palette! The time off for me is for multiple reasons, but one of which being to quick chewing tobacco and hopefully help out what I will pick up in cigars.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope not yet. But I usually don't smoke more than a few a week and only a few times have I had more than one in a day.
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    I cannot imagine smoking a cigar a day. I usually get one a week - MAYBE two if i'm feeling daring.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    oldsoulrevival:
    I cannot imagine smoking a cigar a day. I usually get one a week - MAYBE two if i'm feeling daring.
    Same here. Unless the wifey is working night-shifts or is occupied, I get my 1 night at the B&M with the boys to have some cigars and that's it...always keeps the excitement up for what I will smoke next.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    oldsoulrevival:
    I'm exactly the opposite. I can't imagine NOT smoking everyday...

If I didn't have my "me time" each day to actually relax, I would be a very unstable, angry man.

Life = stress
    Stress = frustration
    Cigar = relaxation
    Relaxation = ability to deal with life without being overwhelmed

cigar smoking is what balances the equation for me. I will always have the stress and frustration, so if I took out the relaxation and quiet, peaceful time to myself, my world would be out of balance and leaning towards the negative.

Don't get me wrong, I have an amazing wife and family, and some of the best friends ever. But the only way I get rid of my stress is to be alone. Cigar smoking provides that outlet for me.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont smoke every day.
    but i dont go out of my way to take a break either.

this may actually be a few things and not a true palate burn out.

it may be that the PH in your mouth is off.
    it may be that you are not as hydrated as usual.
    it may be that you do know what you like and you only stick to those things. now nothing tastes "new" or different.
    it may be what you are eating before you smoke or drinking while you smoke.

...or you could just need a break.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Ever since the 1st of this year when I had a few days to try some smokes, I've been smoking almost daily. I'm at that point now where I keep experiencing amazing smokes and then buying bulk... I used to smoke maybe once a week and really enjoyed it, for most of last year, but today I ran into two smokes I put out...one of which is an all time favorite. I'm in this weird noob transistion from noob, to now I know what I like, but it seems like the habit of trying as many as I can is taking away from the enjoyment a bit I guess. That being said, I think I need a little break...like a week or two to get back to the enjoyment of finding the time to sit down, relax, and enjoy a cigar. I haven't had to put one out in a long time, let alone two so it got me thinking. Anyone else experience this? All last year I bought singles and samplers and narrowed down what I like, guess I'm just over that phase.
    Well, I can see how THIS turned out...
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    old thread, but ive been about 3 weeks now without a cigar, ive been contemplating ridding myself of most of my collection and just keeping "the best" 50 or so cigars...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    taythegibs:
    old thread, but ive been about 3 weeks now without a cigar, ive been contemplating ridding myself of most of my collection and just keeping "the best" 50 or so cigars...
    dont do it quite yet.
    wait a full year. if you smoking is still light then start selling. sometimes a cigar is not appropriate for the occasion. sometimes it is. my desire to smoke waxes and wanes. when its on, its ON. when its not, i have no problem holding on to cigars to let them age. when i smoke less, i find i buy less. just dont buy for a while. see how it turns out. maybe later you will regret the sale of your collection.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    taythegibs:
    From this past Oct to Feb, i smoked maybe 3 cigars, none of which I really even enjoyed. Then, come late march up through now, I am back at it. I would hesitate to sell, just because the mood for a cigar isn't striking you. I went a solid 4 mo without wanting one ( also gave pipes a try), and now I want cigars more and pipes less so at the moment. Just sharing my recemt experience.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    I'm in the middle of that right now, Dustin. Not being on the truck for 8 hrs a day gives me a lot of down time so I have more opportunity to smoke. I feel like my pallet is starting to suffer from 3-4 sticks a day, 3 days a week. I think a couple of weeks without smoking will do wonders to get me back to the joy of the hobby.
    Absolutely Dan, and that many sticks a day will do it. I had to take a break recently, adn have been more often. It refines my palate and narrows down what I choose to smoke.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    I'm in the middle of that right now, Dustin. Not being on the truck for 8 hrs a day gives me a lot of down time so I have more opportunity to smoke. I feel like my pallet is starting to suffer from 3-4 sticks a day, 3 days a week. I think a couple of weeks without smoking will do wonders to get me back to the joy of the hobby.
    man, i couldn't smoke 3-4 sticks a day.......if i hit 3-4 sticks a week that is a lot.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I limit myself to 1, tops 2 cigars a week because I really do believe it's not good for my health to be every-dayer.

But what I find is that when I smoke a cigar that I don't like I almost invariable go more than a week before I try another one. I'm not a fan of stinky finger, stinky breath or stinky clothes, so if I'm going to suffer these 'after effects' the cigar itself better be damned good. A bad cigar turns me off to the whole hobby...for awhile. Lately my 'sampling run' has been pretty bad--three brands I hated. I need to smoke something good soon...
  • insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    hehe well you could always move to NE Ohio... that will basically force you to take breaks if your and outdoor smoker!