Home General Discussion

Newbie!!!

Hi, im jacob and im new to cigar smoking
(hi jacob)
i had my first one thursday night at bar my older brother is opening, and i loved it! i dont remember what kinda it was but it was rich man. and now im hooked
and like any new guy i have questions
like a good humidor
a good brand
a good everything
and all kinda cheap, i dont mean real cheap but not lower middle to middle range you know

i just wanted to say hello.......and thanks

Comments

• The sweet spot for cheap cigars right now: Sol Cubano (I prefer the Connecticutt) 5 Vegas Classic Rocky Patel R4
  • RathavenRathaven Posts: 7
    I wouldn't call them "cheap" (inexpensive is more accurate, I think) but Sol Cubano is my everyday smoke, Maduro for me. For A Humidore, an iglooador is the best way to store sticks until you find the perfect Humidor. Shop a lot, ask the experts, make sure it's something you want to keep. I like the Southport, personally. Lighters (torches) are also worth looking into; some freebies are available from time to time, I would strongly recommend using premium butane; not the junk available at Rite-Aid or Wal-Mart, but Colibri; Prometheus or King from the Cohiba shop.
  • Big DeanBig Dean Posts: 120
    If I were you, I'd go with the Carlos Torano Sampler, 7 cigars for $50. I love all those cigars. Or the Oliva sampler for $35 for 6 sticks. When you are starting out it's nice to sample, thats why I recomend samplers instead of boxes. At least until you find something you really like, then go for the box purchase. I also recomend getting into the cigar of the month club here. First order, you get 5 Gurkha cigars. They are all very good. The Beast was delicious, I smoked that this past New Years Eve and it surpassed my expectations. I still have the Titan to look forward to. I will probably smoke it on my birthday. It will no doubt blow me away.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    cigar.com's 90 rated sampler is good for a beginner also. it may be "higher end" but i think its worth it.
  • btmislesbtmisles Posts: 125
    Definately sample different brands until you find the one that blows you away.  Everyones palate is different so you have to experiment.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I am somewhat of a novice smoker myself, but something I have found to work in addition to going the samnpler route is to just read user reviews on cigars and go with the general consensus of what people like and find to be good quality and purchase single cigars. When you do that, instead of purchasing a sampler which you may or may not like for anywhere from $35-$75, you just purchase a single cigar of the brand that catches your attention , and if you don't like it, you're only out the cost of  a single stick and you don't have several cigars that you don't like taking up space. This is something I do to broaden my horizons and figure out what it is that I like, and I have had reasonable success with it so far.

Another thing that is worth mentioning, if you are going to purchase a humidor do yourself a favor and buy one that is bigger than you think you'll need because it is amazing how fast you will fill it to capacity. Of course, you could always make a humidor out of  a cooler as was mentioned or basically anything that will give you a good seal to keep humidity in.

And keep in mind, there is no need to rush anything. I feel that you will be rewarded for taking your time and enjoying the hobby at your own pace.
  • matt.hickeymatt.hickey Posts: 54

I have also built my own thread in the traders folder but I need to know how to make a decent humidor for cheap or if someone is willing to part with one. I have about 30 cigars on their way to this little sandbox and I really need a place with some humidity. How does the cooler thing work, and what are the other ideas. I have limited space in my 60 sq ft of living space which has a bed a wall locker and a small sock drawer. Thanks

-Matt

• jpen74jpen74 Posts: 5

Coolers work OK. You can also use an old cigar box with a water pillow in it. Cigar.com usually will include one with your order.  Are you military?  I am a Chief Petty Officer E-7, my self currently in Ingleside TX, but have been to PG plenty of times.

• rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Where are you at over here Matt? I'm here too and might be able to do something for you. Where is Ingleside, TX? I am moving to San Antonio in about 3.5 months, just a couple months after returning to the states.
  • jpen74jpen74 Posts: 5
    Ingleside is about 135 miles south of San Antonio.

rdnstn:
    Where are you at over here Matt? I'm here too and might be able to do something for you.

On the VBC in Baghdad. If you are close by PM me and I will tell you where I am at more specifically.

Does anyone know any good how-to sites for building an impromptu humidor?

matt.hickey:

On the VBC in Baghdad. If you are close by PM me and I will tell you where I am at more specifically.

Does anyone know any good how-to sites for building an impromptu humidor?

I thought you said you were deployed. VBC? That's like being back stateside. I'm at Taji, but we have a decent portion of our brigade down at VBC. As far as an impromptu humidor, you can always get some gladware or plastic container like that and throw a water pillow or 2 in there with your sticks. Or check the PX, they probably sell some humis. They do here and I've heard the px there is a million times better. They even had a starter/gift set that came with a humi, a cutter, a lighter, and a travel case for like $60.
    On a different note. Matt, how are you formatting your posts? Everytime I try to space between lines, it jams everything back together.

rdnstn:
    On a different note. Matt, how are you formatting your posts? Everytime I try to space between lines, it jams everything back together.

I don't know what I am doing different. I just hit enter to go to the next line and it goes. Maybe it is because I am not really deployed as you said. I am only on the VBC ya know. LOL It is pretty nice here, but this isn't my first dance and it won't be my last. Don't sweat it in Taji. I have a buddy in Taji, I don't remember what unit but his last name is Thomas. If you see him tell him Hickey said hi. If he doesn't understand that then it is the wrong Thomas :p Thanks for the advice. Half way to playing in the pay it forward!!

-Matt

I was just giving you a hard time cuz I'm jealous. My unit was supposed to go to Prosperity and then they changed it a couple months before we deployed. I'm in the sam boat, not my first, not my last, but at least this one will be short and the next one will be as an officer.