Home Non Cigar Related

3D HDTVs?

CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
Does anyone here have one? Are they worth a look, and which ones are good? Watched Journey 2 "The Mysterious Island" today and was really intrigued with the way the new 3D gig is heading!

Comments

• 415415 Posts: 951
    ive got a 40" samsung led 3D in my room. love it, but hardly use the 3D feature.
    worth looking at if you dont mind spending the extra coin
  • acewoodsonacewoodson Posts: 191
    Ive got a 42 inch Samsung 3d HDTV. I purchased it mostly because I could connect my Mac to it but am pretty impressed with the 3D effects. Only the movies that were created for 3d are very good. It says it can make any 2d show 3d but not really. I agree about Journey 2. Up until this point the only impressive 3d movies were the animated ones but this Journey hit a home run for live action 3D.
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    acewoodson:
    I agree about Journey 2. Up until this point the only impressive 3d movies were the animated ones but this Journey hit a home run for live action 3D.
    It was pretty funny my wife and I took our 2 oldest, and they stood up in their seats and tried to take a step back a couple of times....lol. Really enjoyed it.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I work at Best Buy and honestly feel that 3D is a cool way to go only if you spend a lot of money buying new movies each month after they hit the shelves. If you don't keep up with movies now, or don't plan too, then it's really not worth spending the extra money on 3D. Honestly, the 3D version of a television can cost up to a couple hundred dollars more than the same model without. Unless you really think you are going to use it regularly, I'd suggest spending the extra money to get a couple extra inches in screen size. On the other side though, 3D tech. is pretty cool and if you can afford the price difference and still get the size/features you want in a TV I say go for it! If you are in the market for a new TV, or plan to be in the near future, shoot me a PM and I can help you out. We have a guy that works in the Magnolia Home Theater in my store that is one of the top sales people company wide and he always helps me out when friends/family need suggestions/advice or want to get something hard to find. I'm also known as the guy at my store that will give it to you straight, with no bias, and that seems to make people pretty happy.

Also, if anyone ever needs anything from Best Buy or has any questions feel free to PM me and I'll get you the number to my store. I'm the guy that sits behind a desk and answers the phone when people call in so I can help you out no matter where you are in the country.

...shameless self-promotion over...
    Oh, also, make sure you have/get a bad-ass surround sound system because that's really where the blu-ray technology shines! The audio is leaps beyond that of a standard dvd.

And a little note that I feel is worth mentioning, (and I forgot about it until right now) the Panasonic 65VT30 is on clearance sale right now and is about $1300 off the normal price. That tv is one of the top 3 tvs sold by Best Buy and is the top plasma out there right now. it has the 3D tech and is priced better than ever in it's history right now. Just a thought, hopefully I have helped you out :-P
    Thanks for the info. I have a 42 inch Vizio (which is basic when it comes to HD) right now, and would love to upgrade soon! Hadn't thought much about the surround sound but makes sense...the old system (only have the bass left) I have is crap so don't use it much. I'll definantly look you up as I find questions on this, that is if I can materialize this further with the better half...
  • i replaced my 42" Vizio back in novemeber. i looked around extensively at 3D TVs...i thought the concept would be pretty good but after thinking about "how often will i really use the 3D feature" and what 3D movies cost and a few other things i made myself think about. then realizing the money spent on the 3D feature can be used to buy a VERY nice non 3D TV. i ended up saving myself a few hundred dollars and got a 47" LG LED TV and have been soooo happy i dont regret it one bit. it blows my old vizio out of the water.
  • I really dislike everything to do with 3D, I can't be the only one right?
    So I found out today at work that the new LG tvs are out. I hear they are beyond awesome and are better than last years Samsung LEDs (which are amazing! and sell like crazy). I don't know the price point on them yet but they might be worth taking a look at.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what it's worth...I got a new Vizio 47" (no 3D) about a year ago and am completely happy with it. It's in our living room so no surround sound, but I have it hooked up to a tuner w/ stereo speakers & a sub and it works great for us. HD programs are great, blu-ray movies are great, and video games show up great as well.
    Whatever you do, I'd highly suggest you get a TV with 120 hz refresh rate. If not you'll probably see some ghosting and lagging in the images.

As far as 3DTVs - they were out of my price range but sometimes wish I'd have the 3D support for my PS3. I'm not too big on the 3D movies or TV shows (like some of the 3D sports) but the video games in 3D sound cool.

If you got the extra cash to spare, I'd say go for it (especially if you're big on the 3D movies or plan to do any gaming on it). That way you'll have the 3D feature, even if you don't use it much.

Just my $0.02

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    From what I've read, 3D tv's have generally been a flop; companies tried to hype them after coming out with plasma, hoping it'd be the next big thing, but it flopped bad.

Because of this, if you like 3D, you should shop around - there are some really good deals out there with stores looking to unload them.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    way too gimmicky if you ask me.
    I know I'm opening an old thread, but I have quickly learned that all tvs are outdated the moment they came out at the time I posted this.  The one I have now may too, but have to say that waiting for the 4k Ultra HD was better than I could have imagined.  I'm a Samsung guy so I can use my phone to control it and all that...Glad I waited and spent a decent price on a 70 inch tv that really serves the purpose of what I want....I'll go to IMAX to see 3d movies going forward! 
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got a 50" Samsung smart tv ultra HD for my bedroom. It is cool to use my phone and can watch the tv on my phone if I'm in the crapper. I need to mess with the settings because I'm not a fan of the soap Opra affect that makes all the movies and shows look like a soap opra
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah 3D TV's never took off like they thought they would.  I have a LG 1080p 3D tv and have only watched a 3D movie a couple times.  I am now looking to upgrade to 4k since my xbox will play 4k content and I got an Apple 4k TV with my DirectvNow subscription.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a Vizio 3D TV. 
    We thought there would be more 3D movies out, which didn't happen.
    But we got a killer deal on it, so I can't complain. 
    Although, I keep eyeing a 70" 4K TV.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3D, the fad that never could, but never dies.  Like a four o'clock, it keeps coming back.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    I do have to say though, we still do watch movies in 3D on it. And I do enjoy them.
    If they produced more movies for it, I would probably buy them.

The problem is, the ones they do make 3D are often awful movies.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3D movies in the theaters make my kids nauseous, so we never go. Do you have the same problem with the TVs?
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    We don't usually have a problem. 
    Only had that problem once at an imax theater in Las Vegas.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: