Home General Discussion
Options

Cigar sizes, shapes affecting flavor? preference?

bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
I was thinking today about different sizes/shapes of cigars and wondered some things and thought i'd ask here...

I know that the size and shape of a cigar can have a huge impact on things like draw, burn, and smoking temperature, but i didn't know if it helps determine flavor? like for example, a buddy of mine from college tried to tell me that the larger the ring gauge the cigar is, the more different types of tobacco are blended in. I don't believe that because i know that the same blends are used for all sizes of a particular cigar. but i didn't know if things like larger ring size, opening, length, etc affect flavor?

like, does a cigar that burns hotter (say, robusto) taste very much different than the same blend in a smaller, cooler stick (churchill or baron de rothschild)?

or, the difference in burn between a dart or belicoso compared to a toro or similar?

and, while we're on the topic of cigar sizes, if you have a preferred go-to cigar size, what is it and why?

Comments

• Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Well, only thing I could do to answer your question correctly is to point you to kuzi's signature, specifically blending 101.

Don't really have a go to cigar size, sometimes I'm feeling the hour and a half to 2 hour Churchill, or the 45 min Nub. If you had to pin me down on it, the double nickel (5.5" x 55) size would be my go to size.
  • Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246

bacon.jay:
    I was thinking today about different sizes/shapes of cigars and wondered some things and thought i'd ask here...

I know that the size and shape of a cigar can have a huge impact on things like draw, burn, and smoking temperature, but i didn't know if it helps determine flavor? like for example, a buddy of mine from college tried to tell me that the larger the ring gauge the cigar is, the more different types of tobacco are blended in. I don't believe that because i know that the same blends are used for all sizes of a particular cigar. but i didn't know if things like larger ring size, opening, length, etc affect flavor?

like, does a cigar that burns hotter (say, robusto) taste very much different than the same blend in a smaller, cooler stick (churchill or baron de rothschild)?

or, the difference in burn between a dart or belicoso compared to a toro or similar?

and, while we're on the topic of cigar sizes, if you have a preferred go-to cigar size, what is it and why?

Your first comment is exactly right, size and shape do have a huge impact, and there are subtle changes in flavor, but ive personally found this has more to do with how you're smoking a different size/shape than literal flavor changes between sizes.

As for your question "does a cigar that burns hotter taste much different than the same blend in a smaller, cooler stick" - Absolllllutely.  But, not for the reason you suggested.  Its just easier to control your intake on different sized cigars.  If the cigar is a lot smaller, you're going to really have to not overdraw it, because its going to really heat up, whereas if you're at the beginning of a churchill (By the way, churchills are bigger than robustos) then you can go to town without too much heat and tar buildup initially.  Cigars that burn hotter taste more bitter, chemically rough, you get tongue bite, and its unpleasant.  Cool smoke is happy smoke, which is why you dont keep ashing your cigar, it cools the smoke.

Preferred size - Churchill if its one of my preferred sticks, Robusto if its a sampler stick

I like churchills because it allows a favorite stick of mine to be a long drawn out pleasant experience, and theres a longer "sweet spot" in which everything comes together in a well made cigar, smoke stays cool, far enough in to get past the initial lightup burn, which isnt always amazing.  I find that spot to generally be between the first and second quarter of the cigar, roughly 1/3rd in, and its easier to feel out and maintain in a churchill.  In fact, i think this is the advertising strategy behind nub cigars, but they use a really amazing filler for a very short length of cigar.

P.S Edit - The fact that you referenced baron de rothschild as a regular sizing makes me think you come from the macanudo world.  They as a brand arent well recieved on these forums :)

• Options
    Vidarien:

bacon.jay:

Your first comment is exactly right, size and shape do have a huge impact, and there are subtle changes in flavor, but ive personally found this has more to do with how you're smoking a different size/shape than literal flavor changes between sizes.

As for your question "does a cigar that burns hotter taste much different than the same blend in a smaller, cooler stick" - Absolllllutely.  But, not for the reason you suggested.  Its just easier to control your intake on different sized cigars.  If the cigar is a lot smaller, you're going to really have to not overdraw it, because its going to really heat up, whereas if you're at the beginning of a churchill (By the way, churchills are bigger than robustos) then you can go to town without too much heat and tar buildup initially.  Cigars that burn hotter taste more bitter, chemically rough, you get tongue bite, and its unpleasant.  Cool smoke is happy smoke, which is why you dont keep ashing your cigar, it cools the smoke.

Preferred size - Churchill if its one of my preferred sticks, Robusto if its a sampler stick

I like churchills because it allows a favorite stick of mine to be a long drawn out pleasant experience, and theres a longer "sweet spot" in which everything comes together in a well made cigar, smoke stays cool, far enough in to get past the initial lightup burn, which isnt always amazing.  I find that spot to generally be between the first and second quarter of the cigar, roughly 1/3rd in, and its easier to feel out and maintain in a churchill.  In fact, i think this is the advertising strategy behind nub cigars, but they use a really amazing filler for a very short length of cigar.

P.S Edit - The fact that you referenced baron de rothschild as a regular sizing makes me think you come from the macanudo world.  They as a brand arent well recieved on these forums :)

oops, i should have clarified that by "smaller", i meant in ring gauge only. the ring gauge is smaller usually on a churchill and a baron de rothschild(46-54?) than a robusto(55-58 i think?). that's what i meant in regards to what you said. also, i'm not really a macanudo *fan* persay, it was just the only name of that sort of size that i could think of. i've had a couple that i've liked for a simple smoke, but there are many many other sticks i like much better. i'm more of a smooth medium to full kind of guy and i can't get that with a macanudo.

one thing you mentioned is that you like the churchill for regular smokes and the robusto as a sampler stick, and i'd never thought about that before... being a shorter smoke it would make sense for getting the flavor profile of the cigar.

one question i had about what you said was how exactly does keeping the ash on help keep the cigar cooler? i know that you're supposed to keep it on to help maintain a good light and burn, but i'd never heard that it helps cool the smoke before. in fact, it's not til you said it that i realized that it actually does help cool the smoke.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    50-55 isnt smaller at all. thats actually fairly large. the market is dominated by these because the large ring is fairly popular right now. it seems that I have been going to 48 and lower as of late- just because of more flavor.

with a smaller ring stick you get a hotter burn but a better wrapper to filler ratio (if you slow your smoking down itll burn cooler)
    if you get a larger ring cigar you will burn cooler but the wrapper to filler isnt as good.

edit.
    how does a larger ring gauge result in cooler smoke?
    when you draw on a cigar you have a tendency to draw the same amount of smoke regardless of the ring gauge. so if you are drawing on that small cigar you are forcing more air past that one tiny spot.
    when the ring is larger the oxygen is more spread out.

think of it this way. take a feep breath in and blow hard on a bed of hot coals. they all glow brighter.
    now take a deep breath and open your mouth as wide as you can and let you breath out as fast as you can over the same bed of coals.
    what got the fire hotter?
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    50-55 isnt smaller at all. thats actually fairly large. the market is dominated by these because the large ring is fairly popular right now. it seems that I have been going to 48 and lower as of late- just because of more flavor.

with a smaller ring stick you get a hotter burn but a better wrapper to filler ratio (if you slow your smoking down itll burn cooler)
    if you get a larger ring cigar you will burn cooler but the wrapper to filler isnt as good.

edit.
    how does a larger ring gauge result in cooler smoke?
    when you draw on a cigar you have a tendency to draw the same amount of smoke regardless of the ring gauge. so if you are drawing on that small cigar you are forcing more air past that one tiny spot.
    when the ring is larger the oxygen is more spread out.

think of it this way. take a feep breath in and blow hard on a bed of hot coals. they all glow brighter.
    now take a deep breath and open your mouth as wide as you can and let you breath out as fast as you can over the same bed of coals.
    what got the fire hotter?

i guess what i was looking for in the first place was wrapper to filler ratio, thanks for bringing that up kuzi. i'd heard the term before and i understand what it means, i guess i just didn't connect the two. and your analogy about the bed of coals really helps me out with the concept of a smaller gauge cigar burning hotter. what you said about flavor and how you've been migrating towards a smaller gauge cigar due to the wrapper:filler i guess isn't really a solid thing, it's more personal preference.

i've been smoking cigars for about 4 years, but it's only recently that i've really tried to learn more about the finer points. i just bought what i liked before, and it's only in the last few months that i'm trying to expand my interests and really develop my palate. i can't begin to tell everyone on the forums how much help they are and I thank you guys for all your suggestions and opinions.
  • Options
    at the top of the second page of my blending 101 thread (found in my signature) there is a post that is more in depth about wrapper to filler ratio.
  • Options
    I like kuzi's answer better than mine, i was just talking in a practical sense about sizing and burn matters, he gets to the crux of the point on wrapper to filler.  (Though i will admit on 'many' brands i generally find the taste to be mostly the same among sizes..but thats probably because i generally stick to toros/churchs/torpedos.)
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I think it's important to mention that you may prefer a certain cigar in a certain size due to the type of of tobacco used in the mix. It's a known fact that wrapper contributes much of the flavor to the cigar, but in larger ring gauges, filler can begin to really influence the profile as well. So in a cigar where the wrapper is top notch, very flavorful wrapper, you may prefer a smaller ring gauge, but other cigars may be more enjoyable in a very thick (55 - 60) ring gauge.

Two examples - Opus X - I've only had two, but preferred the smaller ring gauge as the wrapper is very nice in this cigar - La Aroma De Cuba - I love the immensa (6x60) - slow burning, cool, flavorful smoke. Still, overall my favorite shape is a perfecto.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    I think it's important to mention that you may prefer a certain cigar in a certain size due to the type of of tobacco used in the mix. It's a known fact that wrapper contributes much of the flavor to the cigar, but in larger ring gauges, filler can begin to really influence the profile as well. So in a cigar where the wrapper is top notch, very flavorful wrapper, you may prefer a smaller ring gauge, but other cigars may be more enjoyable in a very thick (55 - 60) ring gauge.

Two examples - Opus X - I've only had two, but preferred the smaller ring gauge as the wrapper is very nice in this cigar - La Aroma De Cuba - I love the immensa (6x60) - slow burning, cool, flavorful smoke. Still, overall my favorite shape is a perfecto.
    exactly. I usually enjoy the 5-6 length with about 54-60 gauge, but some cigars are better in smaller RG and length. I never really thought about the wrapper being a large contributor to the flavor so I'll be paying attention more to that, I usually thought it was the goods under the wrapper... Well I do know the difference between a conni, habano, maduro and such so yeah I guess wrapper does play a big part...
  • Options
    bwcarter54bwcarter54 Posts: 142
    phobicsquirrel:
    Rob1110:

exactly. I usually enjoy the 5-6 length with about 54-60 gauge, but some cigars are better in smaller RG and length. I never really thought about the wrapper being a large contributor to the flavor so I'll be paying attention more to that, I usually thought it was the goods under the wrapper... Well I do know the difference between a conni, habano, maduro and such so yeah I guess wrapper does play a big part...
    Why don't they make a cigar out of wrapper tobacco if this is what influences flavor so much? Would it smoke or would it be to expensive to buy? Or would that totally ruin the flavor all together? Like a 100% cammeroon or maduro cigar. Seems like an odd question but I haven't read anything on here that addresses this.
  • Options

A churchill rolled again and again with just maduro wrapper, would reach the cigar band maybe what...13 seconds or so after lightning?

• Options
    Vidarien:
    (Though i will admit on 'many' brands i generally find the taste to be mostly the same among sizes..but thats probably because i generally stick to toros/churchs/torpedos.)
    no. you are right. many brands re-blend each size so they all taste the same.

only a few brands keep with the cuban tradition and let the taste change from size to size.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I would imagine on reason the wrapper contributes so much to the flavor is that it is what comes in contact with your mouth as you smoke. Just a hypothesis. Also, a wrapper leaf rolled into the filler of a cigar is not a wrapper any more, but part of the filler.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    bwcarter54:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Rob1110:

Why don't they make a cigar out of wrapper tobacco if this is what influences flavor so much? Would it smoke or would it be to expensive to buy? Or would that totally ruin the flavor all together? Like a 100% cammeroon or maduro cigar. Seems like an odd question but I haven't read anything on here that addresses this.
    The cigar is constructed from different types of leaves not only for the flavor, but to promote proper burn characteristics. So if you had a cigar made of all broadleaf maduro, it would not burn properly (if at all) when compared to a properly mixed blend of seco, volado and ligero tobaccos (which are the primings from the different levels of tobacco leaves) blended to promote proper burning. Plus a wrapper leaf only cigar would be very expensive, wrapper leaf it quite pricey compared to filler and binder leaf because it is aesthetically very high quality, it fetches a price many more times that of the exact same tobacco with flaws.
  • Options
    Vidarien:

A churchill rolled again and again with just maduro wrapper, would reach the cigar band maybe what...13 seconds or so after lightning?

depends on how tightly or loosely it's rolled. I had a very loosely-filled/wrapped cigar and the damn thing let so much air in on the draw that it wouldn't stay lit. and obviously, if it's too tightly packed, then it won't draw at all.

about the flavor, i would imagine that since the flavor of a cigar consists of seperate fillers and the wrapper combined ranges from 40-60% to 60-40% ratio respectively(as far as flavor contribution goes), that it would either be overpowering in one, maybe two tastes, and no real complexity. or.... be very very washed out. it all depends on what is blended into the filler and the wrapper's taste, and then what is left when one or the other is missing.

i'm just hypothesizing here, but it makes sense to me at least.
  • Options
    ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    So if I understand right, a larger cigar will taste better? Will it get rid of the morning after taste?

I like robusto's and toro's personally.

• Options
    ScottU:
    So if I understand right, a larger cigar will taste better? Will it get rid of the morning after taste?

it depends on what you mean my "better" thats a very conditional statement you made. some cigars taste better with a larger ring, and some taste better in a smaller ring. i think the 5 vegas A is better in a larger ring while i think the OpusX is best at about 40-42

a larger ring can taste better because of how you smoke. If you tend to smoke fast then the larger ring will be cooler and taste better to you. if you smoke slow the larger cigar may actually not work out as well. it will burn too cool and go out or cause burn issues. however the smaller cigar will taste good if you smoke slow and the wrapper to filler ratio will work in your favor.
  • Options
    ScottU:

i have been drawn to smaller ring cigars lately. However, i will always smoke a cigar at whatever size/shape that i think works for it the best.