Home Non Cigar Related

WAR on Women continues....

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
GOP are full of getting between "you" and "your" doctor.

The Arizona Senate has approved a bill that would shield doctors and others from so-called “wrongful birth” lawsuits.

Those are lawsuits that can arise if physicians don’t inform pregnant women of prenatal problems that could lead to the decision to have an abortion.

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/50leg/2r/bills/sb1359s.htm -

The "wrongful birth, wrongful life" lawsuit legislation passed the Republican-controlled Senate 20-9 Tuesday, setting up a coming battle in the GOP-dominated state House of Representatives. The legislation -- which is currently law in nine states -- is sponsored by a Republican senator with close ties to the conservative American Legislative Exchange Council.

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Your mother was pro-life dawlin.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Not to hate on your post... But seriously any b*tch dumb enough not to ask the tough questions regarding her pregnancy... gets what she gets, it's her own damn fault.

Sick and tired of the blaming someone else excuses that lead to lawsuits.

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    Not to hate on your post... But seriously any b*tch dumb enough not to ask the tough questions regarding her pregnancy... gets what she gets, it's her own damn fault.

I agree to a point. But if the doctor doesn't tell her the truth or doesn't want too because she may want to terminate it that's another story.

There are some dumb people out there though.
    phobicsquirrel:
    stephen_hannibal:

I agree to a point. But if the doctor doesn't tell her the truth or doesn't want too because she may want to terminate it that's another story.

There are some dumb people out there though.
    You assume the worst of the doctor. Don't worry, in a few years a government bureaucrat from Obamacare will tell the doctor what to do and the woman will not have to chose.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    My horse bit me. It hurt. I almost cried. No-one will win this debate. Whenever we start talking about abortion it will eventually lead directly to religion. Then the fireworks will fly. I do however think that we are losing to many of our rights when it comes to health-care. That being said I also think that ANY pregnancy should be discussed to the smallest point before A decision is made on the life that is directly involved including what A wonderful experience raising A family is and the satisfaction of looking back on A life well spent. If A doctor is in fear of A lawsuit his judgement WILL be affected and health care will always be the victim. Do the doctors need protection? Not if they're ethical in what they practise.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Pheebs, the bill protects the doctor from not telling the woman everything that can go wrong - it tells the doctor he doens't have to be one of those drug commercials "Pregnancy may lead to blindness, stroke, death, etc" - it allows the doctor to choose what to tell, instead of telling everything little thing that can go wrong, which most people wouldn't even care about. Is it really news that "your baby can be retarded, down syndrome, X number of psychological disorders . . . or it can be completely healthy"

Shielding OBGYN's stops doctor flight, keeps doctors in the State, and allows some breathing room from overly litigious attorney's (like me Big Smile [:D])
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    RBeckom:
    My horse bit me. It hurt. I almost cried. No-one will win this debate. Whenever we start talking about abortion it will eventually lead directly to religion. Then the fireworks will fly. I do however think that we are losing to many of our rights when it comes to health-care. That being said I also think that ANY pregnancy should be discussed to the smallest point before A decision is made on the life that is directly involved including what A wonderful experience raising A family is and the satisfaction of looking back on A life well spent. If A doctor is in fear of A lawsuit his judgement WILL be affected and health care will always be the victim. Do the doctors need protection? Not if they're ethical in what they practise.

Rodney , a very good post and I agree with your statements for the most part . Information is one of the most powerful weapons anyone can possess IMHO . Sorry your horse bit ya ; ) .
    gmill880:
    RBeckom:

Rodney , a very good post and I agree with your statements for the most part . Information is one of the most powerful weapons anyone can possess IMHO . Sorry your horse bit ya ; ) .

Bite wasn't quiet as bad as I led on. If more people would educate themselves about the long term effects, whatever they're choice, I think that teenage pregnancy wouldn't be as rampant as it is. Then this new bill wouldn't be necessary in the first place.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Pheebs, the bill protects the doctor from not telling the woman everything that can go wrong - it tells the doctor he doens't have to be one of those drug commercials "Pregnancy may lead to blindness, stroke, death, etc" - it allows the doctor to choose what to tell, instead of telling everything little thing that can go wrong, which most people wouldn't even care about. Is it really news that "your baby can be retarded, down syndrome, X number of psychological disorders . . . or it can be completely healthy"

Shielding OBGYN's stops doctor flight, keeps doctors in the State, and allows some breathing room from overly litigious attorney's (like me Big Smile [:D])
    Xmacro has hit the nail squarely on the head, nothing left to say.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    War on Women continues???? I didn't know there was a war against them right now! Someone should have told me. I got a few I've been wanting to take out!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    clearlysuspect:
    War on Women continues???? I didn't know there was a war against them right now! Someone should have told me. I got a few I've been wanting to take out!

No chit !!! My dads ex - wife could use a good donkey punch right in the mouth . Wouldn't even consider it hitting a woman , she's a damn werewolf / wretched beast !!!
    War.....A word we here way to often these days. I know this is off-topic but the word bugs me.

Funny how threads seem to evolve into A different topic other than what they started out discussing. :-)
    RBeckom:
    War.....A word we here way to often these days. I know this is off-topic but the word bugs me.

Funny how threads seem to evolve into A different topic other than what they started out discussing. :-)
    "War on women" is a democrat campaign theme for this election cycle, created for fund-raising and rousing the base: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/01/war-on-women-house-democrats-raise-million_n_1314661.html
    xmacro:
    RBeckom:

"War on women" is a democrat campaign theme for this election cycle, created for fund-raising and rousing the base: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/01/war-on-women-house-democrats-raise-million_n_1314661.html
    I definately agree with both statements made here. I guess it's the democrats turn to start a war though. I was actually thinking yesterday about all the obsurd wars we've been in and wondering which one will be next? I think the most obsurd one was definately the war on drugs. 95% of those efforts were spent on marajuana where we basically invaded other countries and attacked their plants all based on complete and utter falsities and stereotypes that surrounded marajuana at the time. War on women doesn't seem so obsurd in comparison. LOL. The "War on Terror" was another nice one where we waged an open ended war on a thing and not a place or person. What other silly ones are there? (Thread officially hyjacked!)
    I was kind of fond of the "War on Poverty", envisioned money guns, aimed at me of course, ending my impoverishment. When that didn't occur, I reverted to old fashioned tactics like long hours, saving, education, stuff like that. Still, would like to get a glimpse of that money gun.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    clearlysuspect:
    xmacro:
    RBeckom:

I definately agree with both statements made here. I guess it's the democrats turn to start a war though. I was actually thinking yesterday about all the obsurd wars we've been in and wondering which one will be next? I think the most obsurd one was definately the war on drugs. 95% of those efforts were spent on marajuana where we basically invaded other countries and attacked their plants all based on complete and utter falsities and stereotypes that surrounded marajuana at the time. War on women doesn't seem so obsurd in comparison. LOL. The "War on Terror" was another nice one where we waged an open ended war on a thing and not a place or person. What other silly ones are there? (Thread officially hyjacked!)
    The "War on Drugs" was initially begun by Richard Nixon, as a way to bust and jail those involved in the anti-war movement, which he felt posed a threat to his power. Unlike the prohibition of alcohol, Nixon chose to criminalize users of marajuana, instead of going after sellers only. The War was consequently escalated by Saint Ronnie during his time in the White House, and now, we have the world's largest prison population, thanks to the "war on Drugs". Just as the years of Prohibition created Organized crime, the only thing that has really come out of it has been the creation of Narco-Terroristic governments that can attack us with military force and internationally syndicated street gangs making big bucks because of the inflation of the cost of illegal drugs caused almost exclusively by "The War on Drugs". I can't think of a clearer illustration of Jefferson's warning regarding the surrender of liberty in the name of security. We have lost a tremendous amount of personal liberty in the name of security because of the war on drugs, and now we are reaching the point where we have neither.
    JDH:
    Just as the years of Prohibition created Organized crime, the only thing that has really come out of it has been the creation of Narco-Terroristic governments that can attack us with military force and internationally syndicated street gangs making big bucks because of the inflation of the cost of illegal drugs caused almost exclusively by "The War on Drugs". I can't think of a clearer illustration of Jefferson's warning regarding the surrender of liberty in the name of security. We have lost a tremendous amount of personal liberty in the name of security because of the war on drugs, and now we are reaching the point where we have neither.
    Very well said! I know I've stated this number before but I'll say it again: Over 20,000,000 United States citizens imprisoned for marajuana laws created during the "war on drugs!" How outrageous a number is that?
    Note: Those imprisoned "citizens" have been deliberately disenfranchised from our democratic process if they are serving felony sentences, because after they are released, they have lost their voting priveliges. This is by design.

Conservatives have been waging a "War on Liberals" since the Civil Rights Movement. The newest chapter in this long, never ending assult, is the "War on Women", but most certainly includes the "War on Drugs".
    Evolving... Let's keep this one going A while longer. There's good information here.
    JDH:
    Note: Those imprisoned "citizens" have been deliberately disenfranchised from our democratic process if they are serving felony sentences, because after they are released, they have lost their voting priveliges. This is by design.
    Many States allow the felons to get their voting rights back after a number of years, provided they stay out of trouble. In Florida, the time period is 7 yrs, provided they stay out of trouble and whatnot. Then again, most felons aren't that bright, so most never go through the process.
    JDH:
    Conservatives have been waging a "War on Liberals" since the Civil Rights Movement. The newest chapter in this long, never ending assult, is the "War on Women", but most certainly includes the "War on Drugs".
    It goes 2 ways, buddy - it's called politics, and it's a blood-sport. Both sides play for keeps, neither side is innocent when it comes to war-mongering against enemies.

JDH:

BS. You know, or are ignorant to the fact, that this whole women/contraceptive/abortion debate has been organized by the administration "wag a dog". Not one candidate, or representative of the Republican party was even talking about such stuff until George Stefonopolis(sp.) put it out in that debate. This "war on women" is totally staged by the administration to gain favor with women.
    By the way, Obama's approval numbers have dropped by 9% since it started. Looks like the republicans won this stupid debate.
    xmacro:
    JDH:
    It goes 2 ways, buddy - it's called politics, and it's a blood-sport. Both sides play for keeps, neither side is innocent when it comes to war-mongering against enemies.

I was also looking for a nice way to say this. Waging war on each other is all politicians have been doing for quite some time. No real intelligent debate happens in DC anymore.

I also wouldn't use the term "conservatives." Conservatism is simply about thrift and really has nothing to do with moral issues. Now "republicans" on the other hand, that's a different story!
    clearlysuspect:
    I was also looking for a nice way to say this. Waging war on each other is all politicians have been doing for quite some time. No real intelligent debate happens in DC anymore.

I've recently read Mark Twain's autobiography, from the things he was writing in 1906, nothing has changed. Same songs, different singers.

• y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    How come nobody's quoted Benjamin Franklin yet? That's usually my favorite part of reading these political pissing matches on here.
    beatnic:
    JDH:

BS. You know, or are ignorant to the fact, that this whole women/contraceptive/abortion debate has been organized by the administration "wag a dog". Not one candidate, or representative of the Republican party was even talking about such stuff until George Stefonopolis(sp.) put it out in that debate. This "war on women" is totally staged by the administration to gain favor with women.
    By the way, Obama's approval numbers have dropped by 9% since it started. Looks like the republicans won this stupid debate.
    We'll have to agree to disagree, because, from my point of view there is no common ground, and I do not wish to discuss anything with someone who would chose to decide that I am ignorant because I disagree with your assessment.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Does it smell like piss in here or is it just me?

y2pascoe:
    How come nobody's quoted Benjamin Franklin yet? That's usually my favorite part of reading these political pissing matches on here.
    "Those who would give up their precious liberties in exchange for security deserve neither" (or close to that) was always attributed to B.F., or so I thought, although someone above gives Jefferson the credit. I may be wrong, since I'm only relying on an already aged, and still aging memory.

JDH:
    beatnic:
    JDH:

We'll have to agree to disagree, because, from my point of view there is no common ground, and I do not wish to discuss anything with someone who would chose to decide that I am ignorant because I disagree with your assessment.

Please re-read my statement. It has to do with facts and whether or not you know them.
    If there is a fact out there, one either knows it, or is ignorant to the fact (def. lacking knowledge). Pure and simple. If you were ignorant to the fact, that is acceptable. The fact that I was referring to was that the Dems started the most recent WOW controversy, not the Reps. This is a provable fact. (You should be able to prove me wrong, if not?) Now, if you didn't know this, your ignorance is acceptable to back up your statement. Perhaps you only got the left media's reporting of it. If you actually knew the fact to be true, then saying the opposite would not be good.
    stephen_hannibal:
    Does it smell like piss in here or is it just me?

It certainly does. This one didn't evolve as it could have. It suddenly devolved into ectoplasmic goo. It's gotten way too personal.
    I respectfully bow out of this one.