Home General Discussion

I Need Your Help

415415 Posts: 951
so ive been saving for a cabinet humi and finally have enough for a cheaper one around 600$ plus shipping brings the total to around 900. my other option is to pick up a vinotemp 142 bottle cooler locally for about 1000 plus tax and convert to a humi myself

so i guess what im asking is if you were in my shoes which would you go with and why?

also i live on the 2nd floor of an apartment building so either opton will be a bit(h to move when i move out in july

Comments

• BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I'd keep saving till you get your new place in July and build a walk in.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    If you're moving in July, I'd wait.
    Also, I'd go with a few coolers, and buy myself a few boxes of killer sticks with the savings.....but I'm a cheap a$$.

Now to answer your specific question.
    Vinotemp....slam dunk.
    The cabinet, as you noted, a "cheaper" one, will not have the same build quality, as the vinotemp.
    I have read about issues with the cabinets during delivery, and build quality crops up from time to time....then you're stuck with sending it back, etc.. If you like to drink wine, then the vinotemp is really the way to go, cause, you can always convert it back to its original use someday should you decide to spring for a fancy 2k-4k cabinet, or, more likely, when you build your walkin humi!
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    KingoftheCove:
    If you're moving in July, I'd wait.
    Also, I'd go with a few coolers, and buy myself a few boxes of killer sticks with the savings.....but I'm a cheap a$$.

Now to answer your specific question.
    Vinotemp....slam dunk.
    The cabinet, as you noted, a "cheaper" one, will not have the same build quality, as the vinotemp.
    I have read about issues with the cabinets during delivery, and build quality crops up from time to time....then you're stuck with sending it back, etc.. If you like to drink wine, then the vinotemp is really the way to go, cause, you can always convert it back to its original use someday should you decide to spring for a fancy 2k-4k cabinet, or, more likely, when you build your walkin humi!
    yes well i forgot to mention that the girlfriend hates having the cooler in the room and would kill me if i bought another.

i could wait till july but one i need the storage space and two the price on that vinotemp unit is generaly upwards of 1500$ so if i pick one up now i save myself some cash in the long run
    415:
    yes well i forgot to mention that the girlfriend hates having the cooler in the room and would kill me if i bought another.

i could wait till july but one i need the storage space and two the price on that vinotemp unit is generaly upwards of 1500$ so if i pick one up now i save myself some cash in the long run
    uh..........you know what's coming......so I'll say it first..........get a new girlfriend.........just kidding of course..........sort of.......
    What about one or two of those "Havana Foot Lockers" - one for her shoes, one for your cigars???
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    142 bottles Must be maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassive. The Winecooler is definitely the better of the two imo. I am one for a modern look instead of a good ol wooden cabinet.
    scarlin:
    142 bottles Must be maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassive. The Winecooler is definitely the better of the two imo. I am one for a modern look instead of a good ol wooden cabinet.
    well yes that is another downside. the vinotemp is a bit larger than the tower humi
    exterior dimensions: 23 1/2”W x 26 ¾”D x 69"H
    and it tips the scale at roughly 250lbs
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Appliance dolly makes it weigh next to nothing
    Direwolf:
    Appliance dolly makes it weigh next to nothing
    true. but even with the dolly the stairs are going to be a ****
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    I would say wait for it. When you move, is it going to be a house or apartment? If its a house, I would 100% wait and get exactly what you are looking for in the right spot. Convince the girlfriend that its only temporary and take her out to a nice dinner. Just let her know that this is a big purchase and you want to be sure it will be a proper fit in the new place and don't want to waste the $$$ if you get the wrong one. See here in Houston, our weather is s h i t, so I would go for the wine cooler, which I'm still debating to go to from my coolidor.
    zeebra:
    I would say wait for it. When you move, is it going to be a house or apartment? If its a house, I would 100% wait and get exactly what you are looking for in the right spot. Convince the girlfriend that its only temporary and take her out to a nice dinner. Just let her know that this is a big purchase and you want to be sure it will be a proper fit in the new place and don't want to waste the $$$ if you get the wrong one. See here in Houston, our weather is s h i t, so I would go for the wine cooler, which I'm still debating to go to from my coolidor.
    house???? not in this county. and not till the girlfriend gets done with school. so it will be a few more years of apartment living. and if im living in an apartment that generaly means no airconditioning

wont be able to wait because i have a serious lack of storage. the choices are buy one of these or sell of some of my cigars
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    For me it all depends on where it would be placed within the house/apt,, I think the Humidor cabinet will be more appealing than the vinotemp,, But that is a really good price on the Vinotemp. So I guess its comes down to do you want form over function. Not sure what cabinet your looking at, but personally I like the looks of a cabinet. Good luck in whatever you decide.
    The Kid:
    For me it all depends on where it would be placed within the house/apt,, I think the Humidor cabinet will be more appealing than the vinotemp,, But that is a really good price on the Vinotemp. So I guess its comes down to do you want form over function. Not sure what cabinet your looking at, but personally I like the looks of a cabinet. Good luck in whatever you decide.
    yeah palcement........... now that you mention it neither is a good idea currently.

guess ill go smoke a few cigars and think it over.
    415:
    The Kid:
    yeah palcement........... now that you mention it neither is a good idea currently.

guess ill go smoke a few cigars and think it over.
    I'm here to help............I could "store" two hundred or so of your sticks.................send me your best ones.....the ones you want to "age"..........no need to make a list of what you sent me ..........you'll get most of them back...............