Home General Discussion
Options

Humi-Care Water Pillows with Mold

So today I found some of my Humi-Care Water Pillows with MOLD. Now I know that they are not that expensive, but I would like to still be able to save them if I can thus anyone have any suggestions. I have heard something about dipping them in vodka??? image

Comments

• Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Pitch 'em.. they're cheap. Always a good excuse to place another order with ccom. If you get in on the Battle of the Countries, I can even ship you all my extras (probably only a couple), which came from Laker. He has set a precedent that humi-pillows don't like to travel outside the company of cigars. I believe it's only fair to honor that. If I have more than a couple left over after BoC, I'll ship 'em out to you even if you're not in on it.
  • Options
    niz33niz33 Posts: 83
    Now I just notice that my Humi-Care Refill Cartridge has mold as well, What should I do???
  • Options
    brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    Is the humidity in your humi running too high?
  • Options
    It fluctuates between 69-70%
  • Options
    brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    That shouldn't be high enough for mold I wouldn't think. My deskop and my coolerdor stay at about 69-70% and I've never had mold issues.

When I first got into cigars I had a large plastic tub and only used the water pillows as I only had a few cigars. After about 3 weeks or so I had mold issues with it and ruined my last couple sticks. In my case the water-pillows were over humidifying and it was summer. Since we didn't have AC at the time our room got too hot for the cigars. The combination of temperature and over humidification caused the mold.

• Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    niz33:
    So today I found some of my Humi-Care Water Pillows with MOLD. Now I know that they are not that expensive, but I would like to still be able to save them if I can thus anyone have any suggestions. I have heard something about dipping them in vodka???
    I don't know about the pillows, but Vodka always fixes me. Oh, and I have a feng shui fountain in my living room (yes I live in no.california). You are supposed to use distilled water, but I never did and lo and behold I had algae growing, so I cleaned out the fountain and refilled it with regular water mixed with a splash of the vodka and it never grew back. Damn Vodka is good.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I ran a test last year with some water pillows in a perfectly sealed container... they over-humidified drastically. Now, for my tupperdors, I use pillows, but just set the lid on firmly without sealing it. It maintains perfect humidity for months at a time.
  • Options
    I have the same problem I used the pillows in a large plastic container. But my Electric Humi-Car was in my actual humidor. How about the Vodka. Any more info on how this works and Why?
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Were you using distilled water?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    I ran a test last year with some water pillows in a perfectly sealed container... they over-humidified drastically. Now, for my tupperdors, I use pillows, but just set the lid on firmly without sealing it. It maintains perfect humidity for months at a time.
    well that is good to know. I have some large tupperdors that don't have the best seal just a snap top. I was worried about RH issues.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    Were you using distilled water?
    I was using Distilled water, so im thinking that it was the temperature that played a roll in the mold. Last night I placed an order for the Avanti EWC28 28 Bottle Thermo Electric Wine Cooler
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    niz33:
    I have the same problem I used the pillows in a large plastic container. But my Electric Humi-Car was in my actual humidor. How about the Vodka. Any more info on how this works and Why?

I think the more vodka you drink the harder it is to see the mold JMHO .....