Home Cigar 101
Options

shuriken cigar cutter

2»

Comments

• Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    taythegibs:
    x2 im interested in these but i can't see how it'd work as well as my bullet punch i made for nothing (30 30 shell from shooting with my grandfather years ago cleaned up and sharpened)
    I dont know if it WORKS better, but lets be honest - there is no way ANYTHING is gonna beat your cutter on cool factor alone! :-) Any chance we can get some pics of that baby on here?

• Options
    Imgembo:
    Thanks for letting us know what you thing about it. I ended up just pruchasing a cuban crafters cutter. My girls father just ordered the shuriken though. I plan on trying it out when i go back there sometime this summer.
    Always a plus when somebody else picks up the tab for something you want to try out but arent sure you want to buy. :-) I will warn you up front - based on my experience so far, this is NOT a plug-n-play cutter a la a V-cutter. But I encourage you to give it a couple of shots and see what you think.

• Options
    ShotgunJohn:
    I thought the Shuriken looked interesting, but damn I love my Xikar X2. I am interested to see Sniper's full report.
    Love my Xi2 also John. And my V-cutter. Like I said earlier, I saw this thing at a price so low I couldnt go wrong giving it a whirl, figured what the he11.

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Right on Glen, way to be the guinea pig. Sounds like it works better than I had thought it would.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohn:
    I thought the Shuriken looked interesting, but damn I love my Xikar X2. I am interested to see Sniper's full report.
    Love my Xi2 also John. And my V-cutter. Like I said earlier, I saw this thing at a price so low I couldnt go wrong giving it a whirl, figured what the he11.

• Options
    jlmarta:
    Great! Please let us all know what you think of it. And I, personally, will want to know where you got it for that price - assuming it's worth having. Your review of it will let me know....

Thanks muchly, Sniper-man....
    LOL Sniper-man, Sniper-man, cuts whatever a Sniper-man-can... :-)

PM sent brother.

• Options
    RETRACTION - went back and checked, and I actually paid $13 for the Shuriken. This is why you dont buy stuff online when you're half asleep! LOL Not upset I paid that price because I was intrigued, but I didnt want to mislead anyone on what I paid for it.

• Options
    ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    The Sniper:
    jlmarta:
    Great! Please let us all know what you think of it. And I, personally, will want to know where you got it for that price - assuming it's worth having. Your review of it will let me know....

Thanks muchly, Sniper-man....
    LOL Sniper-man, Sniper-man, cuts whatever a Sniper-man-can... :-)

PM sent brother.

I am too would like to know this if you wouldnt mind sending me a pm
  • Options
    Bucking W:
    I was given one as a sample, and they work pretty well except for the smaller cigars. It slices four sides and you can't even see it but the draw is pretty good. I still prefer my v cut but it is an interesting tool.
    My experiences so far seem to confirm this - the worst time Ive had with the Shuriken so far was with the smallest ring-gauge cigar Ive cut with it.

• Options
    The Sniper:
    Imgembo:
    Thanks for letting us know what you thing about it. I ended up just pruchasing a cuban crafters cutter. My girls father just ordered the shuriken though. I plan on trying it out when i go back there sometime this summer.
    Always a plus when somebody else picks up the tab for something you want to try out but arent sure you want to buy. :-) I will warn you up front - based on my experience so far, this is NOT a plug-n-play cutter a la a V-cutter. But I encourage you to give it a couple of shots and see what you think.

This actually gives me an idea... when I get done playing with the Shuriken, maybe I should send it around to all who wish to try it, sort of like pass style. Any interest out there in the idea?

• Options
    The Sniper:
    The Sniper:
    Imgembo:

This actually gives me an idea... when I get done playing with the Shuriken, maybe I should send it around to all who wish to try it, sort of like pass style. Any interest out there in the idea?

That is a pretty cool idea i would not mind getting in on that.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya know, I got to wondering about that 'bite down' thing to open up the slits a little. I wonder what would happen if a guy gave the cutter a teensy bit of a twist while the blades were fully engaged - not much - just a little 'wiggle' to maybe open the cut just a hair? Whaddaya think, Glen?? I'd just really rather not have to bite down on the end of my stogie - even a little.
  • Options
    The thought crossed my mind too Marty, and I actually gave it a shot. The problem I ran into are the razor blades that make the incisions are EXTREMELY thin. I couldnt get enough torque when I twisted easily to open the cap up with the blades, and I was afraid of misaligning / damaging the blades and or destroying the cap, so I didnt force the issue.

The biting isnt a strong bite, more like a very soft slight squeeze with your teeth. The only way I can think of to describe it or compare it to would not be kosher to put on a public forum, so I'll just say this... if you did it to your significant other, she would like it instead of smacking you on top of the head as she screamed. :-D

• Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    The Sniper:
    Imgembo:

Groovy idea. I'm game, sign me up!
  • Options
    OK, next cigar I used the Shuriken on was a Diesel Unlimited, in the toro size. Due to the ring gauge of the toro (60), there is NO chance of going too deep on the cut as I did with the CAO OSA Sol robusto. Id say a 60 ring gauge is probably the top end of what the Shuriken will handle. It left the star shaped slits on the cap, and they did not extend past the shoulder - in other words, what I imagine a perfect cut with the Shuriken would be.

As with previous cigars, a slight squeeze with the teeth opened up the slits, and the light went off without incident. About a quarter of the way into the stick, the slits were open wide enough on their own that the squeeze-with-the-teeth-then-draw rigamarole was no longer necessary.

Next up - torpedoes! :-D Stay tuned kiddies...

• Options
    The Sniper:
    OK, next cigar I used the Shuriken on was a Diesel Unlimited, in the toro size. Due to the ring gauge of the toro (60), there is NO chance of going too deep on the cut as I did with the CAO OSA Sol robusto. Id say a 60 ring gauge is probably the top end of what the Shuriken will handle. It left the star shaped slits on the cap, and they did not extend past the shoulder - in other words, what I imagine a perfect cut with the Shuriken would be.

As with previous cigars, a slight squeeze with the teeth opened up the slits, and the light went off without incident. About a quarter of the way into the stick, the slits were open wide enough on their own that the squeeze-with-the-teeth-then-draw rigamarole was no longer necessary.

Next up - torpedoes! :-D Stay tuned kiddies...

Torpedoes are what i am most curious about in terms of this cutter. 1) because I find that it is my favorite size/shape 2) It just seems so damn weird not to cut a torpedo.
  • Options
    Next up was the Cu-Avana Pvnisher, in the torpedo size. Because of the way the blades are aligned in the cutter, I had high hopes for the Shuriken on torpedos, but I found the opposite to be true. While it did make the cuts, I absolutely could not draw the cigar at all. Thought maybe the cigar had a plug, but I used a double guillotine on it and it drew just fine that way.

• Options
    Final thoughts on the Shuriken cutter - in my opinion, it is a decent cutter which usually does what it says it will. Most cigar sizes used in it performed just fine, particularly after the first third or so when the "squeeze gently with the teeth then draw" trick was no longer necessary. I would recommend this cutter to cigar enthusiasts who tend to do little else BUT smoke when they do smoke (ie their focus is solely on the cigar), or to those who just want to try something unique or different.

At the end of the day, this product isnt my cup of tea - although other folks may have a better preference for it.

SO in order to allow my fellow BOTL to give it a whirl for themselves, I will be sending this puppy on tour!

If you're interested in trying the Shuriken cutter for yourself, look for a post titled "Brotherhood of the Travelling Shuriken" under Trades, Passes and Bombs and get on the list. :-)

• Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Happen to have a pic of a stick that was cut with it?
  • Options
    Unfortunately no, but I do have the cutter at home and can make that happen tonight if you'd like.