Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Beer!

bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
A thread to post suggestions, reviews, and questions regarding particular brews, their availability, and beer in general.

GO!

Comments

• Options
    I will start. I like getting brews at Trader Joe's. If you are a beer fan and have never been to a Trader Joe's, it is worth the trip. Very good prices, and most of the stuff they carry is pretty damned good.

I just got a 6-pack of their "Simpler Times" Pilsner in cans for $2.99. That is dirt cheap, and Yahoo! did a review of the top 10 canned beers in the country and this particular one made the list. I have not cracked one open yet, but I will report back when I have had the chance.

I also got one of their bottles of the 2012 Vintage Ale (750mL, $4.99), and another of the Mission St. Hefeweizen (650mL, $2.29).

• Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Trader Joe's doesn't sale beer here . Long Island has a ton of Beer/soda stores and the one I frequent has around 800 different beers in bottles and usually around 15 on tap for growler fills. I tend to gravitate towards dark malty brews. with oat meal stouts being my favs. I have had to cut back on the beers because of diabetes but still have one or two here and there. Also I like to homebrew.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    God I wish there were Trader Joe stores in Florida! I love that grocery store!

On topic, the new Sam Adams Alpine Spring is really good.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Love me some Labatt's and Killian's. They are available on tap just about everywhere around here (Michigan). I also like to mix it up with a seasonal Sam Adams or a Heineken.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Give me my Guiness, Grolsch, Varsteiner, and Blue Moon and I'm a happy little b*%#h...
  • Options
    bacon.jay:
    I will start. I like getting brews at Trader Joe's. If you are a beer fan and have never been to a Trader Joe's, it is worth the trip. Very good prices, and most of the stuff they carry is pretty damned good.

I just got a 6-pack of their "Simpler Times" Pilsner in cans for $2.99. That is dirt cheap, and Yahoo! did a review of the top 10 canned beers in the country and this particular one made the list. I have not cracked one open yet, but I will report back when I have had the chance.

I also got one of their bottles of the 2012 Vintage Ale (750mL, $4.99), and another of the Mission St. Hefeweizen (650mL, $2.29).

Since this morning when I posted this, I have discovered that the Trader Joe's Vintage Ale is actually 2011, and that it is brewed and bottled by Unibroúe in Chambly, Quebec, Canada. Really nice bottle too, would be great for the homebrewer to reuse.

• Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    bacon.jay:

Simpler Times is 5.9% of decent swill. Gimme PBR any day though, I'm a discerning cheap beer consumer.....

I am blessed to live in the Willamette Valley, just outside of Portland. We have more breweries per capita than anywhere (or so I've been told) and the hops we use are from the valley I live in. It's hard for me to pick a favorite but we are certainly "beer snobs" in these parts. I had a really great seasonal from Rogue the other night. It was called Brutal IPA. Probably about 67 IBU with Willamette hops. Nice clean finish, bright with citrus notes and a floral nose.

Some of my favorite "Micro-brews" or "Craft brewed" (for you East coasters) are Ninkasi Tricerahops, Ninkasi Total Domination IPA, Rogue Brutal IPA, Full Sail Amber, Ninkasi Spring Reign, Bridgeport IPA, Hopworks Abominable.

I used to not like hoppy beers but having more and more of them changed my palate considerably.

as for cheap beer, PBR is my #1. I also like High Life, Miller Lite, and Session. Also, I can't say no to a good 'ol Bud Light Clamato.

as far as national companies that I like, I like Samuel Adams (anything from them really), Yeungling is great too
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Lately I've been visiting a local beer, Abita Brewing Co.'s seasonal Mardi Gras Bock. You gotta support your local community.
  • Options
    KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    Im a huge stout and porter junky... a local place called Mount Dora Brewery/ Rocking Rabbit Inn makes the BEST porter ive ever had. 10.5% ABV, served ice cold, sweet, roasted coffee, smooth chocolate all wrapped up in a smooth malty finish... and all hand made... and organic!
  • Options
    dennisking:
    bacon.jay:

Simpler Times is 5.9% of decent swill. Gimme PBR any day though, I'm a discerning cheap beer consumer.....

I am blessed to live in the Willamette Valley, just outside of Portland. We have more breweries per capita than anywhere (or so I've been told) and the hops we use are from the valley I live in. It's hard for me to pick a favorite but we are certainly "beer snobs" in these parts. I had a really great seasonal from Rogue the other night. It was called Brutal IPA. Probably about 67 IBU with Willamette hops. Nice clean finish, bright with citrus notes and a floral nose.

Some of my favorite "Micro-brews" or "Craft brewed" (for you East coasters) are Ninkasi Tricerahops, Ninkasi Total Domination IPA, Rogue Brutal IPA, Full Sail Amber, Ninkasi Spring Reign, Bridgeport IPA, Hopworks Abominable.

I used to not like hoppy beers but having more and more of them changed my palate considerably.

as for cheap beer, PBR is my #1. I also like High Life, Miller Lite, and Session. Also, I can't say no to a good 'ol Bud Light Clamato.

as far as national companies that I like, I like Samuel Adams (anything from them really), Yeungling is great too
    I'm not a huge fan of extremely hopped-up beer, but I do like Hoppin' Frog, and Imperial IPAs in general. Don't really like any standard IPAs though.

We have several decent breweries in the midwest area, including Great Lakes, Bell's, Thirsty Dog, Fat Heads, etc.

I am also more of a Porter/Stout kind of guy. Dark, malty beer is my favorite.

• Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    beatnic:
    Lately I've been visiting a local beer, Abita Brewing Co.'s seasonal Mardi Gras Bock. You gotta support your local community.
    Abita was awesome back in the day, then they went through a pretty bad slump, now they have built themselves back up pretty good.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Krieger:
    Im a huge stout and porter junky... a local place called Mount Dora Brewery/ Rocking Rabbit Inn makes the BEST porter ive ever had. 10.5% ABV, served ice cold, sweet, roasted coffee, smooth chocolate all wrapped up in a smooth malty finish... and all hand made... and organic!
    Hint: left Hand Milk Stout......... you can thank me later ;)
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Big fan of Firstone Walker stuff. Founder's stuff is amazing but their rare stuff just hasn't been worth the chase lately. Huge fan of Southern Tier. Goose Island puts out some amazing beers. Been getting into Lambics and Sours lately but those are tough to find around here. In general, we're all over stouts here in this house.
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Sweetwater puts out quality stuff. I'm a big fan of their IPA, Motorboat (ESB style I believe), and 420 (Extra Pale).

They also have a pretty fun brewery tour with plenty to sample when you finish.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    Big fan of Firstone Walker stuff. Founder's stuff is amazing but their rare stuff just hasn't been worth the chase lately. Huge fan of Southern Tier. Goose Island puts out some amazing beers. Been getting into Lambics and Sours lately but those are tough to find around here. In general, we're all over stouts here in this house.
    Goose Island makes my favorite Christmas Ale. I like Founders too, but it's so freakin' expensive. My local supermarkets stock the Founders Breakfast Stout, but it's almost $15 for a 4-pack.

• Options
    Being a Clevelander, I have to say that Great Lakes Brewing Co. beers are among my favorites. I'm not much of a fan of hoppier brews, but everything that GLB makes is a fine example of what it should be. My personal favorites are their seasonals for late winter and early spring: Conways's irish ale and Blackout Stout. Worth the price IMHO.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just a simple guy, pretty much stick to a bud light or once in a while a blue moon or corona now and then.
  • Options
    KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    firetruckguy:
    Krieger:
    Hint: left Hand Milk Stout......... you can thank me later ;)
    Ive had it and i LOVE it. Goes well with a solid Maduro.
  • Options
    Gotta say that Alaskan Amber is my favorite brew. Fat tire is not bad, and Sierra Nevada ipa is warming to me.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Black Butte Porter...fantastic! Deschutes brewery has always been a favorite of mine, they are up in Oregon. There is a local brewery here called Lengthwise that is excellent, along with Kern River brewing company. Both are solid micro brews and I actually played house band at one for quite some time...plenty of free beers to go around. Always liked Killians, good ole Newcastle and Guinness, Murphys, Beamish, Bass, etc... Too bad I quit... On a side note, had a wonderful single barrell this weekend...first one in a long time and it was filled with oak...but I didn't catch the name
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    bacon.jay:

get the Stockyard Oatmeal Stout at Trader Joes. It's pretty damn good.
  • Options
    bacon.jay:
    Goose Island makes my favorite Christmas Ale. I like Founders too, but it's so freakin' expensive. My local supermarkets stock the Founders Breakfast Stout, but it's almost $15 for a 4-pack.
    Haven't had their Christmas but the Goose Island Bourbon County is amazing. Founders breakfast stout is good but their KBS (breakfast stout aged in bourbon barrels for 1 year) is pretty outstanding. All very expensive though. Expect to pay around $7 or 8 for one single 12oz bottle.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    love me some barleywines and ipa's
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Speaking of barleywines, have you this one one? Sam Adams Griffin's Bow
    I just picked this up last Friday, and reviews are mixed. I may get to it this Friday.... we'll see. Not sure whether to age it for a while or just go whole hog and drink it.
  • Options
    If you want a good barleywine, look for Firestone Sucaba. Should be hitting most markets by now. Gonna be super limited, tough to find and expensive but well worth it. Last year it was called Abacus but a lawsuit has forced them to change the name.
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Any recommendations on easy to find, cheaper barleywines?

I've never actually had one, that one will be my first!
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Terrapin Rye Pale Ale is fantastic. Also like Highland Brewery's St. Teresse - it's a super hoppy pale ale. Rogue Dead Guy is great (when I can afford it). Also can't go wrong with a good ol' Guinness or Newcastle. Having said that, I'll knock back a Corona, Miller Lite or a Budweiser in a heartbeat. I think of beer like food: while I love filet mignon, I'm not too good to eat a big juicy hamburger.
  • Options
    allsmokedup:
    Any recommendations on easy to find, cheaper barleywines?

I've never actually had one, that one will be my first!
    If you can find Pretty Things Brewery around your way, look for "Our Finest Regards." That was a pretty solid barleywine.
  • Options
    When I saw this thread I thought it said "Beef!". I hoped we were going to get to share our love of red meat... even if it does kill us slowly.

Anywho, carry on. (and fluff post thread derailment ftmfw!)

• Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I know a few people have mentioned Killians. I can't drink the stuff anymore. Anyone who is in the Naval Aviation field and went through NATTC Pensacola knows that they serve 3 beers on tap at the Enlisted Club: Budweiser, Bud Light, and Killians! I have drank so much Killians it literally makes me nauseous to even smell it. Only beer this happens with.