Home General Discussion

What Else? Mold -.-

Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
Hey guys, been a while, but thought I'd get some opinions. I opened my humi today to take a peek, and noticed that on one stick (Greycliff DE) I had a light case of white mold (only on upper side of the stick, and about 3/4 of an inch progression). At first glance, I thought it might be bloom, but looking at the stick sideways I could see three dimensions to it (height), and it was also on the band, so unless those age gracefully, that definitely throws out bloom. :P

Inspecting my other cigars, they appear fine, but of course they are going to be inspected daily now for a while. ;) Generally I open weekly just to make sure they aren't doing something funky in there. >.>

The suspect stick is on my desk, as I needed a good excuse to smoke one today anyway. :P But I am thinking that I caught it soon enough that my humi might be fine. Am I being over optimistic, or should I poop in fear and start panicking now; wiping it down with H2O & Rubbing alcohol, drying out, etc.

Comments

• Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    As long as it's not the blue mold, I'd just wipe it and smoke it.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Not to worry. Check your other sticks to make sure. Calibrate your Hygro (if you haven't in a while) & I would recommend dropping the rh% to 65% and keep it there for a week or so.

My $.02. Wiping a Humi. w/ water (distilled or otherwise) does not get rid of mold. It only adds more moisture to the environment (the Humi) that contains the ,mold. I know there are a lot of guys on here who think that it is a good idea. Take it from a guy who deals with it (mold) on a daily basis at work. Adding more water will not help get rid of mold. Dropping the rh% is one way to make it go dormant (and keeping the temp down (if possible below 65 degrees F will also help).