Home General Discussion
Options

Machine mades in a humidor

I was reading on another website the reviews of these cheap machine made cigars you can get at gas stations and stuff, the AYC Grenadier (a coworker got me a pack as a joke), and a number of the reviewers said they put them in their humidor for a couple weeks and they weren't bad. I wonder about this, though, since, there has to be some kind of moisture control ingredient additive so that these things last on a shelf for God knows how long. So my question is, does putting a machine made cigar in a humidor really do anything for it one way or the other?

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly, Kuzi once explained the difference in curing between machine mades and hand mades. I believe he said that machine mades used tobacco that has been 'dry cured' so that they don't require humidification. I don't know for sure what would happen, but I can't imagine that anything disastrous would happen if machine mades were stored in a humi.

Maybe Kuzi will jump in here and expand on this.
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I do recall in my teenage years that these were the best I could get my hands on. i do remeber enjoying them to. How the palate has change.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I would say I don't see any big problems other than wasting good humi space for machine mades.
  • Options
    SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    Seems to me putting machine made cigars in a humidor would be like putting a Chevrolet 4 cylinder engine in a Bugatti Veyron.

but hey, if ya like machine made cigars, then by all means, put them in your humi.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's got to be some kinda sin.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it would harm the things. Anything would have to be an improvement.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it will matter one way or the other. But why go back to machine mades once you've had much better hand rolled ?
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    One of the BoTL here gifted me 10 Jose Piedras.
    Not a bad flavor profile for a Cuban, but there's some consistency and burn issues.
    So yea, I guess there's a few machine-mades in my humi.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Steve2010:
    Not a bad flavor profile for a Cuban, but there's some consistency and burn issues.
    Unless they have a decade of age on them, your JLPs are hand made. Still short filler, but not machine made.

As for what effect storing dry cured cigars in a humidor would have? Probably none. Also, storing turds in your humidor isn't going to change the fact that they are turds.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    It's your humi, put what you want in it. I posted about a month or so about one of my friends who thought he was rolling big time with a 50-ct full of Dutch Master's Palmas. I gave him a hand-rolled and he tossed the machine-mades to his Father-in-Law. Don't really see that it's a problem, it might even help them a bit.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    doc there hit on it a bit. throwing them in there as long as they are not infused or flavored wont hurt anything. but there really isnt a point. if they are dry cured, they do not require the humidification that the hand-mades do.

there are some dry cured hand-mades but theya re few and far between.
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    docbp87:
    Steve2010:
    Unless they have a decade of age on them, your JLPs are hand made. Still short filler, but not machine made.

As for what effect storing dry cured cigars in a humidor would have? Probably none. Also, storing turds in your humidor isn't going to change the fact that they are turds.

OK, here's what I found: "Jose L. Piedra is a popular brand for domestic consumption in Cuba. Apart from the original six smaller Jose L. Piedra cigars which are machine-made, this Jose L. Piedra brand started producing a new full range of hand-made sizes. Made in the regional factory in Santa Clara, Cuba, this Jose L. Piedra brand continues to have very competitive pricing. Jose L. Piedra brand cigars are considered to have a mild-to-medium body with strong flavours."

The ones that I have are the Brevas (5.25 x 42).

• Options
    NightHawkNightHawk Posts: 247
    maybe this needs a new thread, but can someone explain please dry vs wet cured. i know that before fermentation the leaves are moistened, but how are the leaves fermented for dry curing? and hand made dry cured cigars? are there machine made wet cured which need humidor storage?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    curing and fermenting are different things. dry cured are cured in an oven designed to pull the moisture out of the tobacco, speeding up the process. they end up dryer than barn cured. they dont change in flavor as much when left out of a humidor making htem good for cheep cigars that are sold in gas stations. im not into machine made so i am not familiar with if there are barn cured machine made cigars.