Home General Discussion
Options

Cigars You Just Never Seem to Smoke

Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
While rooting through the humi yesterday, I spotted the last La Aurora 1495/1994 that I have, which prompted me to ask you guys; is there a cigar that you have, that you never seem to smoke?

With this one, when it is gone, there will be no more as it is not in production.

There are also a couple of Gurkha Grand Ages in there with about 5 years; those too also seem to be passed over when the hand of dhoom hovers over the stogies.

How about you?

Comments

• Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Smoke=Fire:
    While rooting through the humi yesterday, I spotted the last La Aurora 1495/1994 that I have, which prompted me to ask you guys; is there a cigar that you have, that you never seem to smoke?

With this one, when it is gone, there will be no more as it is not in production.

There are also a couple of Gurkha Grand Ages in there with about 5 years; those too also seem to be passed over when the hand of dhoom hovers over the stogies.

How about you?
    Seems all my really "Special" Cigars get passed over. Not sure what (occasion) I'm waiting for.... I think on my next vacation I'm going to smoke every one of them.....
  • Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    I don't understand the "saving for a special occasion" mentality. I mean, if you want to wait for a specific night (ie - your wedding, a birthday, xmas, etc.) thats fine, but I don't know why people wait for some unknown day to smoke something special.

Some weeks I bust out a 21 year old bourbon and a 25 dollar cigar because, well, it's Tuesday, and what else am I going to do with this cigar and bourbon but enjoy them?
  • Options
    That being said, I haven't had any cigars long enough to raelly be included in this group yet, but my guess is that the ones I just don't ever get around to smoking are that way because I just don't have any interest in them. They just sit around until I get around to giving it to someone else.
  • Options
    I have some cigars that are for certain occasions. My favorite cigar is Padron 80th, and my fiance got me a box about 2 years ago. I only smoke them on our anniversary or a birthday. I have two left, and I'll probably finish them off on our honeymoon. I have some other premiums (Padron anni/family reserves, Ashton VSG, Aramada), but I have enough that I don't need to hold back. I won't smoke them when I take a stroll through the neighborhood because I like to save them for better smoking conditions (i.e. sitting back and relaxing with a drink and a smoke), but I wouldn't hesitate to smoke one at the local cigar bar on a random Friday night.
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    I've actually got one humi that has sticks in it that I will usually pass over because I want to hold them for something "special". Maybe my or my sons b-day, maybe a wedding, maybe for a night to sit out on the deck this spring/summer/fall with a good drink. They are ones that I've tried before, loved, and decided to hold off on the last one until I can't hold off anymore. Off the top of my head I have a Cohiba ISOM, LP 9, a special Gurkha given to me by a long lost friend, and others.

Rob
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I never thought much about it until you mentioned it. I have several that I've passed over numerous times. I don't know why I pass them. I guess they have A future purpose.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I have some that I age, but when I open the box up, they are fair game. Some of my ISOM sticks now have 10 years on them, but they are getting smoked (only a few left) and that is special occason enough for me.

• Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    camgfs:
    ...but they are getting smoked (only a few left) and that is special occason enough for me.

Hear, hear.
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    This might not be in the direction of your exact question but I have this cohiba red dot that i don't want to smoke.  reason being, i had one about maybe a year ago and i pulled out no joke a 3.5 inch stem out of it.  i had higher hopes for it since it was my first wooooo "cohiiiii baaa."  psh.  it's almost like im pissed off at that cigar. 
  • Options
    LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    Some of my more prized sticks seem to hang around for a while.
    It's not so much a 'special' occasion for me, but just waiting for perfect conditions. I'm not going to smoke something special if it's raining, really windy, or if I don't have time to smoke the whole thing leisurely.

Sometimes I smoke something I've been saving just as my smell/taste come back after being sick. That one day where everything smells and tastes amazing because your senses have been dulled for several days? Love it.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gots quite a few singles that I just can't bring my self to smoke. But I will get to them someday.
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Normally, I'll have a specific stick in mind when I open the humi.
    Other times, I'll just do a blind grab. Everything's fair game.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Over the past year or so I've been smoking down my "commons". The ones I have that are singles and I don't intend to replace, Leaving my Aging humidor more or less untouched. That is where I keep my Opus, GOFs, Ashtons, Avos, Davidoffs, Camachos, Illusions, Tats, and ISOMS among others. When my commons are gone I will smoke out of my aged humidor and have a real good year of cigars. The last being my twenty year old R&J 1875 which my brother in law gave me when my daughter was born. A common cigar by nature, but still alot of sentimental value in that one.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oldsoulrevival:
    I don't understand the "saving for a special occasion" mentality. I mean, if you want to wait for a specific night (ie - your wedding, a birthday, xmas, etc.) thats fine, but I don't know why people wait for some unknown day to smoke something special.

Some weeks I bust out a 21 year old bourbon and a 25 dollar cigar because, well, it's Tuesday, and what else am I going to do with this cigar and bourbon but enjoy them?
    yup, i use to kinda think that way but then i think, i may die tonight will i sleep or some kinda sickness may make me quit smoking so i have been smoking a lot of those i have in the special humi lately but i do like to let some sit a spell before i smoke them, like the la traviata maduro im smoking now withh 11 months is awsome compared to the last one i had
  • Options
    jj20030:
    oldsoulrevival:

yup, i use to kinda think that way but then i think, i may die tonight will i sleep or some kinda sickness may make me quit smoking so i have been smoking a lot of those i have in the special humi lately but i do like to let some sit a spell before i smoke them, like the la traviata maduro im smoking now withh 11 months is awsome compared to the last one i had
    I definitely like to let some age, but that's different than saving it for an unknown special occasion. Half the reason I buy so many cigars is so that I can keep smoking premiums all the time whilst still aging others. Life is too short to save things for the sake of saving them, imo. Eat, drink, smoke, love, and be merry - all day, every day!
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    oldsoulrevival:
    jj20030:
    oldsoulrevival:

I definitely like to let some age, but that's different than saving it for an unknown special occasion. Half the reason I buy so many cigars is so that I can keep smoking premiums all the time whilst still aging others. Life is too short to save things for the sake of saving them, imo. Eat, drink, smoke, love, and be merry - all day, every day!

+1000, brother! After my accident I was told that I'm more or less a ticking time-bomb, so I live each day like it may be my last.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I have expensive cigars that I want to age and not smoke often. This is a preference thing. I like to see how they age and I smoke them for "mostly" special occassions. What I mean by this is I usually don't grab one to smoke during a normal ride in the car or at JRs where I do a lot of smoking. Usually if we are going out to dinner at a nicer place that allows for cigar smoking, bdays, etc... Of if I am going on a long ride say down to VA to see my friend then I will bring some nicer smokes. For instance, I smoke less than 3 GoF (all blends) each year. I smoke a Partagas 150 each year, I smoke an Opus X Maduro each year but usually not more than 1. I'll probably smoke my last HMR this year but I don't know when. Maybe if my boys and I go down to their summer beach house and smoke outside. Something a little nicer than the casual smoking experience.
  • Options
    SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    I used to hold onto cigars that were what I call top shelf, or cigars that are no longer in production, and smoke them on "special occasions", but lately, I've been thinking that life is too short, and if I die tomorrow, then I won't get the chance to enjoy them. Granted, I do have my aging humidor, which has cigars that are between four and seven years old, that holds also, cigars no longer available. But, about once a year I pluck one out and sit back and enjoy what age has done for them.

Because my work schedule has my days off in the middle of the week, my special occasions are normally sitting alone, relaxing on my back porch, watching birds go about their business at my feeders. When I didn't work EVERY weekend, I would share "prized" cigars with friends by letting them pick whatever they wanted.

I would say this, that even the most aged cigars could be a dud. The are afterall hand rolled, and even the best sticks you have that you enjoy, there is the occasional cigar that has a bad burn, tunnels, has blockage, etc. It's always a risk, but in such cases, I put it out, and find a different "special occasion" cigar.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    I don't have anything special that I'm holding onto, but I do have some "infused" smokes from another company(that shall remain nameless)that I don't see me smoking unless I become truly desperate and go into a nicotine withdrawal rage.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    LeftFive:
    It's not so much a 'special' occasion for me, but just waiting for perfect conditions. I'm not going to smoke something special if it's raining, really windy, or if I don't have time to smoke the whole thing leisurely.

Big +1 to this. In fact, I rarely save cigars for 'special occasions' because most of the times 'special occasions' seem like the worst possible days to really enjoy a smoke
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    I have 3 MoW double coronas that are sitting at the bottom of the humi...it is actually one of the best 2 plus hour smokes I have ever had. I never grab for them however because I rarely have over 2 hours for a smoke, or when I do have the time I have been opting for 2 different smokes in robusto, rather than 1 huge double corona...
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    I usually buy 10 -20 cigars at a time, and when I get down to the last 3 or 4, for some reason, I won't finish 'em off right away, and they just sit there like abandoned vehicles on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck that never comes.
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Delicious abandoned vehicles!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont have many cigars that i constantly pass over. i do pass over cigars because it isnt the right time but i have no problem breaking out an expensive cigar because it is "wednesday"
  • Options
    I need to add to my original comment. There are some A. Turrent Triple Plays and Padilla Cazadores at the bottom. They don't do anything for me and are just taking up space. If someone wants them and can wait until June, PM me and I'll send them off when I go on vacation.
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Steve2010:
    I need to add to my original comment. There are some A. Turrent Triple Plays and Padilla Cazadores at the bottom. They don't do anything for me and are just taking up space. If someone wants them and can wait until June, PM me and I'll send them off when I go on vacation.
    I haven't tried either, I'll take you up on your offer. YHPM.
  • Options
    allsmokedup:
    Steve2010:
    I haven't tried either, I'll take you up on your offer. YHPM.

Replied
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    smoke um if you got um
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I bought a box of padron family reserves 45s, I only smoke them on my boys' birthdays. I keep three and have them smoke one with me on their 18th bday.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    415415 Posts: 951
    Ken Light:
    LeftFive:

Big +1 to this. In fact, I rarely save cigars for 'special occasions' because most of the times 'special occasions' seem like the worst possible days to really enjoy a smoke
    yup i smoke decent cigars on special occasion days and great cigars whenever i have enough time to enjoy them