Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Thought for the Day

Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
Religion is like a ****.

It's fine to have one.

It's even fine to be proud of it.

But don't pull it out in public and start waving it around.

And DON'T try to shove it down my throat!

Comments

• Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    This might be the best thing I've read in a very long time!!!! I love it!
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Smoke=Fire:
    Religion is like a ****.

It's fine to have one.

One nation under God.............It goes back to our constitutional rights. This is A dangerous subject. Might I suggest you to consider A more suitable Thought For The Day.

Just my two cents.
  • Options
    I'm waiting to be hammered for my beliefs. Bring it on, I'll stand firm on this one. I'll also discuss it with maturity and common sense.
  • Options
    OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    RBeckom:
    I'm waiting to be hammered for my beliefs. Bring it on, I'll stand firm on this one. I'll also discuss it with maturity and common sense.
    PM to you
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    RBeckom:
    HAHAHAHA!!! Why? The waiting to be hammered I mean?
    I don't know if you and I share the same religious beliefs, but look at the bright side if religion is like a **** when it is shared consensually its usually pretty awesome.

NO ****

• Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    RBeckom:
    Smoke=Fire:
    Religion is like a ****.

It's fine to have one.

One nation under God.............It goes back to our constitutional rights. This is A dangerous subject. Might I suggest you to consider A more suitable Thought For The Day.

Just my two cents.
    ...and I always thought we were One Nation Under Canada.......go figure.
  • Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    RBeckom:
    Smoke=Fire:
    Religion is like a ****.

It's fine to have one.

Just my two cents.
    That's the Pledge of Allegiance, not the Constitution. The pledge wasn't adopted til 1942. The word "God" is not in the constitution at all. The only two times it mentions religion are to say that there shall be no religious test required as qualification for holding a position in public office, and then in the 1st amendment saying that "congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    I'm confused. Do you want to be hammered or are you simply braced and prepared to be hammered? Cause I wasn't gonna do it unless you really wanted it.
  • Options
    clearlysuspect:
    RBeckom:
    I'm confused. Do you want to be hammered or are you simply braced and prepared to be hammered? Cause I wasn't gonna do it unless you really wanted it.
    ...that's...what...she said????
  • Options
    oldsoulrevival:
    RBeckom:
    Smoke=Fire:
    Religion is like a ****.

It's fine to have one.

Just my two cents.
    That's the Pledge of Allegiance, not the Constitution. The pledge wasn't adopted til 1942. The word "God" is not in the constitution at all. The only two times it mentions religion are to say that there shall be no religious test required as qualification for holding a position in public office, and then in the 1st amendment saying that "congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

While I may not have your Knowledge on colonial history I do believe in our base freedoms including freedom of religion. I never stated that One Nation Under God was in the Constitution I just mentioned that we are A country founded on certain beliefs including freedom of religion.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    RBeckom:
    HAHAHAHA!!! Why? The waiting to be hammered I mean?
    I don't know if you and I share the same religious beliefs, but look at the bright side if religion is like a **** when it is shared consensually its usually pretty awesome.

NO ****

There's so much dispute lately that I figure it's gonna pile up on this one. :-)
  • Options
    oldsoulrevival:
    clearlysuspect:
    RBeckom:
    ...that's...what...she said????

Bracing for the onslaught.
  • Options
    RBeckom:
    oldsoulrevival:
    RBeckom:
    Smoke=Fire:
    Religion is like a ****.

It's fine to have one.

Just my two cents.

While I may not have your Knowledge on colonial history I do believe in our base freedoms including freedom of religion. I never stated that One Nation Under God was in the Constitution I just mentioned that we are A country founded on certain beliefs including freedom of religion.
    Oh absolutely... that's what the first amendment is all about. However, it ALSO guarantees freedom FROM religion. The original quote, although crass, makes a point that its fine for someone to be religious and practice religion on their own homes, but people do not have the right to force others to hear it, agree with it, and they especially do not have the right to force others to live their lives according to it.

That being said, it's important to remember that even though SOME of the founding fathers were christian, they were, more importantly, almost entirely ubiquitously secularists (ie - they believed that church and state needed to be kept separate).

The reason American has so much promise is that conflicting opinions like deism and atheism are able to live side by side without worrying whether or not the other party will be able to force their opinions on the other.
  • Options
    Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
  • Options
    RBeckom:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    No law respecting and establishment of religion - ie - freedom FROM religion

or prohibiting the exercise thereof - i - freedom OF religion

• Options
    oldsoulrevival:
    RBeckom:

No law respecting and establishment of religion - ie - freedom FROM religion

or prohibiting the exercise thereof - i - freedom OF religion

respecting
    in respect
    meaning in regards to
    It simply states that no law shall be passed that interferes with our freedoms of the above mentioned.
  • Options
    oldsoulrevival:
    RBeckom:
    oldsoulrevival:
    RBeckom:
    Smoke=Fire:
    Religion is like a ****.

It's fine to have one.

Just my two cents.

Oh absolutely... that's what the first amendment is all about. However, it ALSO guarantees freedom FROM religion. The original quote, although crass, makes a point that its fine for someone to be religious and practice religion on their own homes, but people do not have the right to force others to hear it, agree with it, and they especially do not have the right to force others to live their lives according to it.

That being said, it's important to remember that even though SOME of the founding fathers were christian, they were, more importantly, almost entirely ubiquitously secularists (ie - they believed that church and state needed to be kept separate).

The reason American has so much promise is that conflicting opinions like deism and atheism are able to live side by side without worrying whether or not the other party will be able to force their opinions on the other.

Agreed. But doesn't it also protect the religious from having to constantly be bombarded with anti-Christian views. To many times we are forced into situations where were told we cannot share what we believe in. To educate. And society is the ultimate sufferer.
  • Options
    RBeckom:
    oldsoulrevival:
    RBeckom:
    oldsoulrevival:
    RBeckom:
    Smoke=Fire:
    Religion is like a ****.

It's fine to have one.

Just my two cents.

Agreed. But doesn't it also protect the religious from having to constantly be bombarded with anti-Christian views. To many times we are forced into situations where were told we cannot share what we believe in. To educate. And society is the ultimate sufferer.

I am enjoying having an adult and civil conversation with you about beliefs and translations of the Constitution and amendments. By all means continue.
  • Options
    dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't posted much lately, but I'd like to share my two cents on religion...

'Religion' is what's wrong with the world today. All manner of terrorists, dictators, and the like wage war on the free world, killing and repressing others with different 'religious' views and beliefs.

I am my no means 'religious'...I have FAITH that God sent His son, Jesus Christ to die on the cross for my sins and your sins! (even if you don't believe in God, God believes in you!)

Here's one of the best videos I've ever seen on the subject of 'religion'

Why I Hate Religion

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The only thing I'm going to say here is that I appreciate Dwayne making the distinction between faith and religion, the two don't have to go hand in hand.
  • Options
    I agree to A point but I feel that religion can go hand in hand with faith with out us becoming over zealous about it. Personality has more to do with how we react to external stimuli than any thing else. I for one consider myself to be not only religious but also faithfull. It's A Great feeling to be one with the Holy Trinity and to have found yourself and be contented. I have no regrets if I'm called home tomorrow. Do you?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Please note Rodney, I said the don't have to go hand in hand, I'm in full agreement that they can, just also pointing out that faith can exist without religion.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Please note Rodney, I said the don't have to go hand in hand, I'm in full agreement that they can, just also pointing out that faith can exist without religion.

True but for total serenity I fee that we need to find A happy medium where we can have both.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Let's hear it from one of the framer of the amendment what he sought it to mean. Thomas Jefferson.
    The Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom was drafted in 1777 (though it was not first introduced into the Virginia General Assembly until 1779)[1] by Thomas Jefferson in the city of Fredericksburg, Virginia.
    An Act for establishing religious Freedom. Whereas, Almighty God hath created the mind free;
    That all attempts to influence it by temporal punishments or burthens, or by civil incapacitations tend only to beget habits of hypocrisy and meanness, and therefore are a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, who being Lord, both of body and mind yet chose not to propagate it by coercions on either, as was in his Almighty power to do,
    That the impious presumption of legislators and rulers, civil as well as ecclesiastical, who, being themselves but fallible and uninspired men have assumed dominion over the faith of others, setting up their own opinions and modes of thinking as the only true and infallible, and as such endeavouring to impose them on others, hath established and maintained false religions over the greatest part of the world and through all time;
    That to compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves is sinful and tyrannical;
    That even the forcing him to support this or that teacher of his own religious persuasion is depriving him of the comfortable liberty of giving his contributions to the particular pastor, whose morals he would make his pattern, and whose powers he feels most persuasive to righteousness, and is withdrawing from the Ministry those temporary rewards, which, proceeding from an approbation of their personal conduct are an additional incitement to earnest and unremitting labours for the instruction of mankind;
    That our civil rights have no dependence on our religious opinions any more than our opinions in physics or geometry,
    That therefore the proscribing any citizen as unworthy the public confidence, by laying upon him an incapacity of being called to offices of trust and emolument, unless he profess or renounce this or that religious opinion, is depriving him injuriously of those privileges and advantages, to which, in common with his fellow citizens, he has a natural right,
    That it tends only to corrupt the principles of that very Religion it is meant to encourage, by bribing with a monopoly of worldly honours and emoluments those who will externally profess and conform to it; That though indeed, these are criminal who do not withstand such temptation, yet neither are those innocent who lay the bait in their way;
    That to suffer the civil magistrate to intrude his powers into the field of opinion and to restrain the profession or propagation of principles on supposition of their ill tendency is a dangerous fallacy which at once destroys all religious liberty because he being of course judge of that tendency will make his opinions the rule of judgment and approve or condemn the sentiments of others only as they shall square with or differ from his own;
    That it is time enough for the rightful purposes of civil government, for its officers to interfere when principles break out into overt acts against peace and good order;
    And finally, that Truth is great, and will prevail if left to herself, that she is the proper and sufficient antagonist to error, and has nothing to fear from the conflict, unless by human interposition disarmed of her natural weapons free argument and debate, errors ceasing to be dangerous when it is permitted freely to contradict them:
    Be it enacted by General Assembly that no man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened in his body or goods, nor shall otherwise suffer on account of his religious opinions or belief, but that all men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of Religion, and that the same shall in no wise diminish, enlarge or affect their civil capacities. And though we well know that this Assembly elected by the people for the ordinary purposes of Legislation only, have no power to restrain the acts of succeeding Assemblies constituted with powers equal to our own, and that therefore to declare this act irrevocable would be of no effect in law; yet we are free to declare, and do declare that the rights hereby asserted, are of the natural rights of mankind, and that if any act shall be hereafter passed to repeal the present or to narrow its operation, such act will be an infringement of natural right.[3] [edit]

Nowhere does it indicate anything remotely resembling a statement of freedom from religion. In fact, it says that " men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of Religion, and that the same shall in no wise diminish, enlarge or affect their civil capacities.

• Options
    That's what makes this thread so great, we can have different views and still maintain A dignified discussion.
  • Options
    beatnic:
    Let's hear it from one of the framer of the amendment what he sought it to mean. Thomas Jefferson.
    The Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom was drafted in 1777 (though it was not first introduced into the Virginia General Assembly until 1779)[1] by Thomas Jefferson in the city of Fredericksburg, Virginia.
    An Act for establishing religious Freedom. Whereas, Almighty God hath created the mind free;
    That all attempts to influence it by temporal punishments or burthens, or by civil incapacitations tend only to beget habits of hypocrisy and meanness, and therefore are a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, who being Lord, both of body and mind yet chose not to propagate it by coercions on either, as was in his Almighty power to do,
    That the impious presumption of legislators and rulers, civil as well as ecclesiastical, who, being themselves but fallible and uninspired men have assumed dominion over the faith of others, setting up their own opinions and modes of thinking as the only true and infallible, and as such endeavouring to impose them on others, hath established and maintained false religions over the greatest part of the world and through all time;
    That to compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves is sinful and tyrannical;
    That even the forcing him to support this or that teacher of his own religious persuasion is depriving him of the comfortable liberty of giving his contributions to the particular pastor, whose morals he would make his pattern, and whose powers he feels most persuasive to righteousness, and is withdrawing from the Ministry those temporary rewards, which, proceeding from an approbation of their personal conduct are an additional incitement to earnest and unremitting labours for the instruction of mankind;
    That our civil rights have no dependence on our religious opinions any more than our opinions in physics or geometry,
    That therefore the proscribing any citizen as unworthy the public confidence, by laying upon him an incapacity of being called to offices of trust and emolument, unless he profess or renounce this or that religious opinion, is depriving him injuriously of those privileges and advantages, to which, in common with his fellow citizens, he has a natural right,
    That it tends only to corrupt the principles of that very Religion it is meant to encourage, by bribing with a monopoly of worldly honours and emoluments those who will externally profess and conform to it; That though indeed, these are criminal who do not withstand such temptation, yet neither are those innocent who lay the bait in their way;
    That to suffer the civil magistrate to intrude his powers into the field of opinion and to restrain the profession or propagation of principles on supposition of their ill tendency is a dangerous fallacy which at once destroys all religious liberty because he being of course judge of that tendency will make his opinions the rule of judgment and approve or condemn the sentiments of others only as they shall square with or differ from his own;
    That it is time enough for the rightful purposes of civil government, for its officers to interfere when principles break out into overt acts against peace and good order;
    And finally, that Truth is great, and will prevail if left to herself, that she is the proper and sufficient antagonist to error, and has nothing to fear from the conflict, unless by human interposition disarmed of her natural weapons free argument and debate, errors ceasing to be dangerous when it is permitted freely to contradict them:
    Be it enacted by General Assembly that no man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened in his body or goods, nor shall otherwise suffer on account of his religious opinions or belief, but that all men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of Religion, and that the same shall in no wise diminish, enlarge or affect their civil capacities. And though we well know that this Assembly elected by the people for the ordinary purposes of Legislation only, have no power to restrain the acts of succeeding Assemblies constituted with powers equal to our own, and that therefore to declare this act irrevocable would be of no effect in law; yet we are free to declare, and do declare that the rights hereby asserted, are of the natural rights of mankind, and that if any act shall be hereafter passed to repeal the present or to narrow its operation, such act will be an infringement of natural right.[3] [edit]

Nowhere does it indicate anything remotely resembling a statement of freedom from religion. In fact, it says that " men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of Religion, and that the same shall in no wise diminish, enlarge or affect their civil capacities.

Great post.
  • Options
    Wow...and I meant the OP as more of a joke than anything. ;)

Faith is a wonderful thing. I think that Religion though is all too fallible, as it is designed and administered by Man, who all too often is only concerned with his own aggrandizement; the belief of others is just the tool that they use to manipulate themselves into positions of authority and power.
  • Options
    RBeckom:
    beatnic:

An Act for establishing religious Freedom.

Whereas, Almighty God hath created the mind free;

That it tends only to corrupt the principles of that very Religion it is meant to encourage, by bribing with a monopoly of worldly honours and emoluments those who will externally profess and conform to it;

That though indeed, these are criminal who do not withstand such temptation, yet neither are those innocent who lay the bait in their way;

Great post.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    But doesn't it also protect the religious from having to constantly be bombarded with anti-Christian views.

Constantly bombarded? Really? Do tell. As an atheist, I won't even say I'm constantly bombarded with theist views. They are a bit too prevalent for my taste, but I'm not about to complain about it. IMO, if the flying spaghetti monster helps you be happy, cope with pain, sleep at night, etc., then by all means believe in the flying spaghetti monster. If he tells you to be a good person and you do that, even better. However, when he causes you to interfere with the lives of others in any way, that's a violation of those people's pursuit of happiness, another constitutional right, and I believe the one that trumps them all. Freedom should essentially boil down to the ability to pursue your own happiness, but never at the expense of another person's.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Smoke=Fire:
    Wow...and I meant the OP as more of a joke than anything. ;)

Faith is a wonderful thing. I think that Religion though is all too fallible, as it is designed and administered by Man, who all too often is only concerned with his own aggrandizement; the belief of others is just the tool that they use to manipulate themselves into positions of authority and power.

Everything in life is corruptible to some extent. But I feel that Faith, pure unadulterated Faith can overcome all obstacles and that those who profess to have faith although they be corrupt can and often do ruin to A great extent the word religion for most. Not me! Religion is not corrupted in itself but some who profess to be religious are corrupted. Religion, what A great sentiment to live by whatever denomination one is inclined or called to practice.