Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Gardens

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Beans are starting to get big...taking them out for a few hours, getting used to the world..
    What kind of beans you got there Jim???
    How's the forecast out your way? Will you be able to plant them in the ground soon.

Weather was nice and warm this past week so we moved all the pots outside to get some fresh air.

Forecast says it's going to dip down into the mid-30s a couple nights next week though, so we'll be dragging the lime tree back inside just to be safe .... but we'll probably leave the herbs out since they're a little more tolerant.
    We'll also be planting some of the potted herbs in the ground so that should help with the cold as well.

Going to make a trip to the greenhouse this weekend --- plan on picking up a few more herbs and maybe a couple pepper plants depending on what they have.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's still getting down to 30 and the highs are around 43-55 or so. Those are pole beans and I'm also starting heirloom tomatoes. It will mainly be beans, peas and potatoes and tomatoes.
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    It's still getting down to 30 and the highs are around 43-55 or so. Those are pole beans and I'm also starting heirloom tomatoes. It will mainly be beans, peas and potatoes and tomatoes.
    You got a few more weeks to go then it sounds like ..... And that's a good variety, you could make a great soup with those fresh veggies....

• Options
    This Spring delay is really pissin me off..slight snow showers while picking up pine needles
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    This Spring delay is really pissin me off..slight snow showers while picking up pine needles
    I hear you on that, Jim ..... It was up to 80 on Wesnesday but it will be about 36 tonight.....wtf

• Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    no hot peppers?
    i plant ghost peppers, habs, and the newest i added last yr the carolina reaper pepper, i make powders and sauces with them all yr. long
    but the flowers and the smells of them when they grow is also awesome
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Just planted 10 lbs of taters... and 2 pounds of onions... supposed to snow Wednesday otherwise we would be planting peas tomatoes cucumbers another row of asparagus and maybe just maybe some squash. Crazy weather **** up planting this year. Peppers started and growing nicely in planter boxes.
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    no hot peppers?
    i plant ghost peppers, habs, and the newest i added last yr the carolina reaper pepper, i make powders and sauces with them all yr. long
    WOW!!! Ghosts and habs!!!
    Way too hot for my tastes, but rock on brother! Sounds good but I can't handle that much heat.

My serranos didn't do too great last year but I had them in a pot ...
    Got a couple more going this year, planted them in the ground though hoping I get better results.

• Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm really happy. All of my plants are getting really big. Both my tomato plants are starting to blossom so I should be growing some yummy tomatos soon! I can't wait!!!! So excited that I'm actually growing plants of any kind. Trying to figure out where my in ground garden is going to go on my property.
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.net:
    no hot peppers?
    Yeah Joe I gotta get on those but you know Ray(Glock) has a pepper farm and does pepper bombs :)
  • Options
    clearlysuspect:
    I'm really happy. All of my plants are getting really big. Both my tomato plants are starting to blossom so I should be growing some yummy tomatos soon! I can't wait!!!! So excited that I'm actually growing plants of any kind. Trying to figure out where my in ground garden is going to go on my property.
    The low was 26 degrees...still too cold..
  • Options
    FFFF ..... we may have taken the basil & pepper plants outside too soon this year.

Had a frost/freeze warning over the weekend, dropped to about 30 ...

All the potted plants got moved inside and they're all fine ...
    And we covered the rest of the garden with blankets/towels/sheets hoping to protect everything ... and the heartier, more mature "in-ground" plants don't seem to have been phased by the cold

But two pepper plants and 3 basil plants that we transplanted into the garden a couple weeks ago aren't looking too great (probably took them outside a little too soon) --- the top leaves are noticeably damaged but there's some undamaged leaves and the stems seem ok ... hopefully they'll recover.

The cherry tree blossoms are looking nice though....

• Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    My Internet had to go due to money concerns but rest assured I will find a way to see how everyones gardens are doing from time to time. I am sorry to say that I am forced to stay in bed for now and have not been able to send out any seeds as of late.
  • Options
    RBeckom:
    My Internet had to go due to money concerns but rest assured I will find a way to see how everyones gardens are doing from time to time. I am sorry to say that I am forced to stay in bed for now and have not been able to send out any seeds as of late.
    Sorry to hear that Rodney, but good to hear from you. Hopefully your plants are turning green as well.

And I hope it's ok to post this, since it's not exactly "in the garden" ....
    But my wife spotted a couple of these in the back of the yard last night, hidden amongst the ivy....

Neither of us are big on mushrooms but my in-laws and one of our friends love these things --- not sure what type of morel's they are but we're going to pass them on anyways.

• Options
    Kansas weather sucks... garden mostly in the ground (waiting on okra) and now we get sleet and a freeze warning... hoping a good cover will keep the starts alive. Golly gee willikers this is not nice.
  • Options
    Taking shape...a whole box with tomatoes and peppers, whole box for potatoes and the rest are beans, peas, broccoli, cucumbers, carrots etc... imageimage
  • Options
    Good looking garden
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    My garden this year because of work will be about one fifth of what I had last year .
  • Options
    A little slow on mine this year.
    Seems that the younger generation simply does not understand the feeling of satisfaction of a hard days work.
    :-)
  • Options
    Good lookin' garden there, Jim!!

Ours pales in comparison but wife and I spent a bit of time "fixing up" the yard last weekend. Lots of weeding, edging, planting, transplanting, etc. --- mostly worked on the flowers, hostas, and perennials. We still have a little ways to go, a few more beds to clean up, but we made a good dent in it and found some things growing in the yard that we didn't know were there.

So I wanted to share a few pics of the edible plants we're growing and also what we found!

Sunflowers are looking good. We started them from seed in mid-April, they're about up to my knee now.

Chocolate mint plant getting big. The biggest leaves are about 3 in long on it...
    This bed still needs weeded/cleaned up, it's surrounded by other vines/ground cover and they're intruding on the mint!
    Also, there's 3 other mint plants in this bed (not shown) -- 1 peppermint, 1 spearmint, and 1 pineapple mint.

The "main" garden -- about 12 x 5 ft raised bed.
    Lavender and dill in "front". Then tomatos (started from seed) and 5 basil plants in the middle. 3 pepper plants in the back and leeks (leeks were from the previous owners).

And all our potted herbs!
    Tarragon, Chives, Thyme, Parsley, Bay, Oregano

And the lime tree!
    It's getting pretty big. I'll need to prune it soon, branches and new sprouts going everywhere!

And all of the pics below were "left over" from previous owners....
    Sage

Grape vine, it's as tall as a tree though. Not sure what type of grapes but it seems to be a very mature plant. About 10 feet tall and 15 feet wide. It's weighing down the chain link fence.

Cherries! The cherry tree is pretty big, it's as tall as our second story windows. We think they're sour cherries but not entirely sure.

"Wild" strawberry patch

(More) spearmint, (another) lavender plant, and a big rosemary bush.

And there's a couple pretty good sized mulberry trees along the fence line ... the birds seem to love them. Found a good recipe for mulberry pie though, going to have to pick some before the birds **** them all!

• Options
    Things are coming up but the weather has been fairly cool and wet.
    Johnny it's looking real good bro!! image
  • Options
    For the first year that I can recall, my garden is no more than a patch of grass.
    I hope for a better fall season when the cooler temperatures will allow more time outside.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Things are coming up but the weather has been fairly cool and wet.
    Johnny it's looking real good bro!! image
    Very nice Jim,, I see you have a deer repelling fence!!! Nice! growing season can be pretty short over there. I had good results with mostly root vegetables, potatoes, carrots, onions, etc, Corn and tomatoes will grow but dont expect an abundant crop. Enjoy,, Looks like a nicely maintained and well thought out garden. If the soil is like most of EW it was probably pretty sandy and I suppose you had to modify the soil with quite a bit of 3 way?? ttyl
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    For the first year that I can recall, my garden is no more than a patch of grass.
    I hope for a better fall season when the cooler temperatures will allow more time outside.
    while my garden is not THAT bad, the rabbits are wondering when the feasting can begin. A rather slow start this year.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    RBeckom:
    while my garden is not THAT bad, the rabbits are wondering when the feasting can begin. A rather slow start this year.

Or problem this year, believe it or not, was too much rain.
    I could not enter the soft ground without sinking to my knees.
    I wished for the drought to be over but..............
  • Options
    Coming along image
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    Coming along image
    Good progress there, Jim!

Our tomato plants are starting to get buds on them ....
    And 2/3 pepper plants have some buds too ...
    The plants are still fairly small though so I need to go out and pinch them off so the plants will grow larger.

The basil and dill plants are trying to flower as well, already pinched/cut those off.

And the lime tree has a couple decent sized limes, hoping we'll get our first "mature" full size limes this summer. But I need to cut back a few sucker branches on it and pinch off the smaller buds. It's still not quite there yet.

• Options
    The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
    starting at the bottom of the picture and working to the top
    chives, dill, garlic, radishes , green beans , tomato (Roma , beefsteak, wonder boy , grape) carrots , peppers(flamingo , Thai dragon, cayenne , Portugal hots, habanero,jalapeno)
  • Options
    Bought some Rutgers this week, I plan on trying to get outside this weekend and get them in the ground.
    A late start for sure, but here we have a late frost date so we will see.
    Supposedly we are to dry out somewhat by then, besides, I simply want to feel the sun on my face.
  • Options
    RBeckom:
    Bought some Rutgers this week, I plan on trying to get outside this weekend and get them in the ground.
    A late start for sure, but here we have a late frost date so we will see.
    Supposedly we are to dry out somewhat by then, besides, I simply want to feel the sun on my face.
    Rutger is a type of tomato, right?

If so, I would think that as long as you keep them well watered, and they don't get scorched by the sun/heat ... you got a good shot of getting some fruit before summer's over.

Either way though --- good luck getting them in the ground, hopefully your soil is easier to work with than ours is right now.
    We haven't had much rain this week and it's been warm and sunny, so the grounds starting to get as hard as a rock.

I was hoping to transplant our 2 flats hibiscus seedlings into the ground this weekend, but I'm afraid it will be too difficult unless we get a little rain between now and then.
    Might have to wait until next week.