Home General Discussion
Options

Heartfelt beads

Does anyone have bags of beads, like a pond or more? I would like to see a picture of a bag of beads, what does a pound of beads look like? The reason I ask is, I have 5 containers and need to figure out how many pounds of beads I need to fill them.

Comments

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    There is a calculator on thier website. I use two 1/2 lb bags and then a gel jar and stay at 67-68 all day image
  • Options
    I honestly used a lot less than they recommend for quite some time and had no problem in a cooler, but then I got scared and bought more. The bags are nice to save space
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    That looks to be a bit bigger than a pound a piece....I've got 4 half pound bags and putting all of them together doesn't match 1 of those...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Go to their website and use the calculator. Rule of thumb - more is better than less. Extra can be used to absorb a high spike and keep everything as normal as possible. You won't regret getting these beads.
  • Options
    Un_SubUn_Sub Posts: 210
    I used the calculator and plan to use more than recommended but I don't know how much it will take to fill my containers, I have 2 large sponge humidifiers and 3 small travel humidifiers and will be filling all 5 of these. I plan to get 1 or 2 more large sponge humidifiers to fill as well. What I am looking to do is saturate 4 large humidifiers @ 90% and the 3 small at about 50% saturation to allow for absorption of any excess rh. I thought by seeing what a pound of beads looked like I would be able to guesstimate how many pounds I need. Can you BOTL's guesstimate from experience what poundage I should start with? I have 2 doors on my 400 ct. humi and I want enough beads for a quick recovery when the doors get opened!
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    There is a calculator on thier website. I use two 1/2 lb bags and then a gel jar and stay at 67-68 all day image

67-68 rh, is that using the 65% beads, I plan to use the 70% because I think the door on the front doesn't seal well enough!
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Un_Sub:
    I used the calculator and plan to use more than recommended but I don't know how much it will take to fill my containers, I have 2 large sponge humidifiers and 3 small travel humidifiers and will be filling all 5 of these. I plan to get 1 or 2 more large sponge humidifiers to fill as well. What I am looking to do is saturate 4 large humidifiers @ 90% and the 3 small at about 50% saturation to allow for absorption of any excess rh. I thought by seeing what a pound of beads looked like I would be able to guesstimate how many pounds I need. Can you BOTL's guesstimate from experience what poundage I should start with? I have 2 doors on my 400 ct. humi and I want enough beads for a quick recovery when the doors get opened!
    Didn't have a chance to snap a pic - but I have a 1/2 lb of beads and all together they'd fill up a sandwich-sized ziploc bag + a little more.
    I have them in plastic ziploc containers but I'd guess that a 1/2 lb of beads would fill 3-4 of the large, rectangular humidifier cases.

I try to keep my beads about 70% saturated and it works just fine for me. I'll leave the lid open 10-15 minutes as I rummage through the sticks and the RH always recovers fast. I'd think you'd be good with a 1/2 lb to start with, but if you want to play it on the safe side and don't mind having excess then go with 1 lb.
    Also be sure to spread them out throughout your humi and place some of them at the bottom since humidity rises - that should help maintain your RH a little better than if they're all at the top of the unit.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    They are 65% beads, but the cooler holds well. These are 1/2 bags too, the camera is just playing tricks on you guys lol. All three of my humi's have 65 beads and hold 67-68 too...
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    They are 65% beads, but the cooler holds well. These are 1/2 bags too, the camera is just playing tricks on you guys lol. All three of my humi's have 65 beads and hold 67-68 too...
    lol....I have short fat bags, or at least that is what she said...lol....pics r very decieving sometimes..
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    na na na na na na na na na na!!!! Warm happy place, warm happy place...
  • Options
    if you don't season the humidor and let it naturally climb to the 65%rh of the beads, how long should it take for it to reach the goal rh?
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Un_Sub:
    if you don't season the humidor and let it naturally climb to the 65%rh of the beads, how long should it take for it to reach the goal rh?
    Idk but I bet it takes a while. Some of the wood humidors can be pretty dry ROTT and those beads can only put out so much humidity without needing "recharged."

Personally, I'd charge at least 1/2 of the beads and add them, along with a shallow dish of water to the humidor. Let it sit for 1-2 days, make sure you have a stable RH then pull the water dish out & let it sit for 12 hours or so and then check it again. Just my $.02

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Un_Sub:
    Just out of curiosity why would you not season the humidor?
  • Options
    Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    Where do you get the beads at?
  • Options
    Rail Jockey:
    Where do you get the beads at?

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/
  • Options
    skweekz:
    Un_Sub:
    Just out of curiosity why would you not season the humidor?

because I didn't have a boveda season bag and did not want to wipe down the inside of my humidor with water! BTW It took 3 days for a 400 ct humi!