Home General Discussion
Options

Am I doing something wrong

I bought a larger humidor holds about 50 cigars I also purchased the boveda seasoning pack 84% and the boveda humidification 69% I seasoned for the 10 days put my cigars in left them for about a week and they are spongy and very oily when I take then out the cellophane also some smoke well and some don't please help

Comments

• Options
    TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    First off, what type of hygrometer are you using? If it is not a digital one, I would recommend calling Andy and ordering one. If so, what was its reading during the seasoning of the humidor, and also after? Also, did you calibrate said hygrometer?
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    I'm no expert, but it sounds like your humidity level is too high. Not to sound like an aZZ, but you did take the seasoning pack out before putting the humidification bags in, right?
  • Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    What was your hygrometer reading when you opened up the humi and noticed things were strange?
  • Options
    Trident:
    First off, what type of hygrometer are you using? If it is not a digital one, I would recommend calling Andy and ordering one. If so, what was its reading during the seasoning of the humidor, and also after? Also, did you calibrate said hygrometer?

True, if you have the crappy little dial hygro that came with the humi then I would suggest using it to shoot as a skeet target. Order a good digital from c.com and reap the benefits of accurate humidification. Secondly, as mentioned by oldsoul, what was the reading when you popped your lid?
  • Options
    kingdavid5kingdavid5 Posts: 293
    No I didnt put both of the packs in at the same time and I don't have a hygrometer I'm new to the humidor game but that was on my list to order one should I keep the 69% or is that not right
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    kingdavid5:
    No I didnt put both of the packs in at the same time and I don't have a hygrometer I'm new to the humidor game but that was on my list to order one should I keep the 69% or is that not right
    65% - 69% is good, it sounds like you might be in the mid to high 70's right now which is why your sticks are spongy. You need to get a digital hygrometer ASAP and calibrate it using the salt test in order to find out what your true reading is.
    If you want to smoke a stick that is spongy in the mean time you can always set it out 1/2 hour before smoking and allow it to "air dry" out a bit this will ease some of the smoking problems.
    A good hygro is a must, otherwise you might see mold sooner or later.
    Good luck and welcome to the board Brother.
  • Options
    Personally, if they were spongy and oily then I'd let them dry box for a bit to get rid of the excess moisture. In the meantime, make sure your hygrometer is properly calculated(there are plenty of sites that explain the procedure and I'm sure kuzi has a link somewhere). If all else fails, a digital hygrometer can be picked up at Wally World on the cheap and will do fine until you can get the one you want. The weather in my area of KY is crazy right now, so I'm constantly doing some upkeep on my humi(sucky seal...). I like to keep mine around 65-67%. I've tried 70% in the past and seemed to have the same problem you're describing.
  • Options
    Thank for all the help I'm gonna check my local shop to see if they have one and will get back to you guys to see what the reading is
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never used boveda packs but an 84% seasoning pack sounds awful high to me. Sounds like you may have put the sticks in before the humidity had a chance to drop off.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Since no one has said the obvious yet-----I will. David....the problem is one you will never be able to figure out without assistance. Hence, being the considerate guy I am, go ahead and send me a PM so I can get you my address where you can send these sticks. I shall in turn smoke them, and render a solid theory on what might be the humidification issue;) Good luck buddy, someone has to have this response in every thread about this stuff.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    Since no one has said the obvious yet-----I will. David....the problem is one you will never be able to figure out without assistance. Hence, being the considerate guy I am, go ahead and send me a PM so I can get you my address where you can send these sticks. I shall in turn smoke them, and render a solid theory on what might be the humidification issue;) Good luck buddy, someone has to have this response in every thread about this stuff.
    Vulchor always goes the extra mile to help a brother out.. :) It takes time and experience to get these little issues worked out but with some good advice you'll be fine soon enough.
  • Options
    Katt68Katt68 Posts: 124
    Vulchor:
    GIGGLES!!! I love the advice that is given out here. You share the wealth!!! :P JK
  • Options
    Vulchor:

Lol will have to send u a pm then
    I actually purchased a xikar digital round hygrometer letting it sit in the humi I will take a pic of it tomorrow and you guys let me know what I need to do to get this issue fixed
  • Options
    Make sure you salt test the hygrometer before using it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Here's a thread on salt testing, it's very important you do this so you get accurate readings. Be patient, it will pay off in the long run. If you have any questions, by all means ask here or feel free to PM. Happy to help someone when I've been in that situation myself.

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/74241.aspx
  • Options
    I did the salt test left it in there for about 5 hours it was reading 23 Celsius put it in the humidor after 10 hours this is what it was reading
  • Options
    The salt test is for humidity. What was the rh% after the salt test?
  • Options
    Trident:

It read 66 %
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    kingdavid5:
    Trident:
    It read 66 %
    Check it again in a few hours. That hygrometer should have been given 24 hours of the salt test to be sure it is calibrated. If it remains at 75% after a full salt test you are good to go, but your reading inside your humi at 67% is good IMO.. If you like your sticks a little moister that can be added very slowly. What are you using for your humidity source, beads?
  • Options
    laker1963:
    kingdavid5:
    Trident:

It read 66 %
    Check it again in a few hours. That hygrometer should have been given 24 hours of the salt test to be sure it is calibrated. If it remains at 75% after a full salt test you are good to go, but your reading inside your humi at 67% is good IMO.. If you like your sticks a little moister that can be added very slowly. What are you using for your humidity source, beads?

I'm using the boveda packs 69% thanks for the info
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kingdavid5:
    laker1963:
    kingdavid5:
    Trident:
    It read 66 %
    I'm using the boveda packs 69% thanks for the info

FYI, guys, the beads are not intended to be your humidity source. That's the job of your humidifier. The beads function is to absorb excess moisture above their design parameter and/or release moisture back into the air when necessary. When folks 'charge' their beads, they defeat that purpose.