Home General Discussion

Bought my first wine cooler and I need Ideas (Pictures)

After having problems with mold in my tupperdors and my actual humidor, I ordered an Avanti EWC28 28-Bottle Thermo Electric Freestanding Wine Refrigerator. So it should arrive by mid next week. So I need help on designing it. I will start a new post on how I built it from the ground up so it could help others like me. So what I need from you all is not only ideas but pictures of your coolerdors or of others, so I can come up with a design. This should be a very interesting project for all.

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    for a minute there I thought the drink (wine cooler) lol.. I don't have any photos but I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Could be a great project.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    phobicsquirrel:
    for a minute there I thought the drink (wine cooler) lol..

"... and thank you for your support." (semi obscure wine cooler reference - at least maybe for you young guys.)
  • mattshellmattshell Posts: 34
    I'll post what I did with my wine fridge tonight when I get home. As of yet, I haven't found a way to bring the sucker to work. :-)
  • niz33niz33 Posts: 83
    mattshell:
    I'll post what I did with my wine fridge tonight when I get home. As of yet, I haven't found a way to bring the sucker to work. :-)
    Mine should be arriving this week. I have already gone to Lowe's to get some ideas.
    A few weeks ago I turned this wine fridge into a humidor. Lined it with 1/4" spanish cedar, got a ceramic heating element and thermostat (used for reptiles) and put a cigar oasis at the bottom and a pound and a half of beads split up in three places. So far, it works great. I thought it would just be for boxes, but as you can see, that idea changed quickly. Love to know your thoughts. -Matt Okay, now I just have to figure out how to post pictures... uh, how do I do it? I don't see an option?
    mattshell:
    A few weeks ago I turned this wine fridge into a humidor. Lined it with 1/4" spanish cedar, got a ceramic heating element and thermostat (used for reptiles) and put a cigar oasis at the bottom and a pound and a half of beads split up in three places. So far, it works great. I thought it would just be for boxes, but as you can see, that idea changed quickly. Love to know your thoughts. -Matt Okay, now I just have to figure out how to post pictures... uh, how do I do it? I don't see an option?
    I had the same problem. I just learned how to post pics as well. First open a free acc with photobucket upload you pictures, then copy and past the IMG Code where you would normally be typing and presto.
    Well, that's not annoying, huh? :-) Thanks for the info. Let's see if this worked. Here's my wine fridge humidor. Thoughts?
    From what I can C. That's exactly what I had in mind. Is their any way to make the picture bigger it looks great.
    Hum, is it small? In my window, the pic is huge, which is why I tried to post it smaller. Let me know if this is any better. I'll try posting a larger version here: Wine Fridge
    Much better thanks. So now I have a couple of questions for you. 1. I can c that you have an Oasis humidifier-what is the set humidity on it? 2. Are you using beads if so how much? 3. And what is you Temp?
  • brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is the heating element for? Would it be okay to just get a wine fridge and set it to 66 degrees?
    Yep, that's the Cigar Oasis. I have it set to 66. I have a pound and a half of 65 beads split up into three half pound bags placed in three differennt locations inside. That's keeping my humidity at a pretty constant 67-68. I have the temp set to around 70, so with the thermostat it has a low of about 68 and a high of 71. I do have a small fan at the bottom to help circulate the air which has helped a lot. Oh and yes, you could just set your fridge to 66, but wine fridges only cool, they don't heat, so if you have your fridge in place colder than 66 (I have mine in my San Francisco garage, so it's below 66 a lot), you need a way to warm it up. I chose the reptile ceramic heating element casue it doesn't give off any light. My fridge isn't even plugged in, cause when it was, it was always to cold. I'm sure there are better ways to do it and I'd love to hear them, this is just what I did.
    Thanks 4 all your info its hard to believe that you are the only one that has built this, when i see this type of questions all the time.
  • brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    mattshell:
    Yep, that's the Cigar Oasis. I have it set to 66. I have a pound and a half of 65 beads split up into three half pound bags placed in three differennt locations inside. That's keeping my humidity at a pretty constant 67-68. I have the temp set to around 70, so with the thermostat it has a low of about 68 and a high of 71. I do have a small fan at the bottom to help circulate the air which has helped a lot. Oh and yes, you could just set your fridge to 66, but wine fridges only cool, they don't heat, so if you have your fridge in place colder than 66 (I have mine in my San Francisco garage, so it's below 66 a lot), you need a way to warm it up. I chose the reptile ceramic heating element casue it doesn't give off any light. My fridge isn't even plugged in, cause when it was, it was always to cold. I'm sure there are better ways to do it and I'd love to hear them, this is just what I did.
    That makes sense. I wasn't thinking about it being in a room that stayed colder than 66.
    Happy to help. There's definitley worse things to have to talk about. If you have any questions, send me a PM and I'll hep where I can.
    So my wine cooler just got delivered by the little brown truck. I will post some pics when I get a chance. But if any one has any more pictures or ideas on how to build a coolerdor it would help me tremendously.