Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The dog

J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
So I wake up last night with the smell of skunk in the air. My wife says, "there was on outside when I let the dog in." Still groggy I lay back down but 15 min. later I still smell it just as strong and the windows are down. I get up to see what's going on but outside the air is fresh and clean. Inside I go but it still reeks. Can a skunk get in the attic she asks, well I guess so up I go but it seems good there too. Then as my head began to clear I yell go smell the dog! Then I hear Oooh! That is the problem! OMG, she let the dog in the bedroom after being sprayed by a skunk. Now that is bad enough but all of my smokes are in there too! The smell had filled the whole house by then so even moving them to a different spot was not helpful. I have finally got the room smelling good again. The dog after a shave, 2 tomato baths, and yet another bath with baking soda, smells not quite tolerable and is out side. I have not opened my sticks yet, and I don't think I will today. I hope that they are OK! What was she thinking! Why did it take me so long to think what about the dog! Crap!

Comments

• Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Lol Had a dog that loved tangling with skunks.
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Ya, it is starting to get funny but it really wasn't for most of the day!
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Funny.

second vote.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny story, hope the smokes are ok.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Yes tangling with Pepe LePew is not recommended for humans or dogs !!!
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, it's that time of year, romancing the skunk. It's weird how different dogs react. Our old blue-heeler got skunked, once. The Boxer, however, would go out every year, kill the skunk, and bring it home! Very proud. I'd look out the window, and the heeler was pressed up against the fence, as far away as he could get, Boxer doesn't understand why nobody wants to play. What's funny is, our pit-bull would love to kill the skunk, but the resultant bath isn't worth it. The new boxer, however, well...Damn! It's skunk season, oh crap
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    It's that time of year, usually a skunk will show up and hang around the pond. I try and keep an eye/nose out for him. It's funny, I yell skunk and my boxer high tails it for the house. He's gotten skunked three times, I think he's learned his lesson. Good lord though, I swear it takes a month to get the smell 100% gone.

The last time was pretty funny though. The dog chasing the skunk....skunk chasing the dog...dog chasing the skunk....the dog thought it was a game, the skunk did not.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

This recipe works really well for skunked dogs. We also use Nature's Miracle on the carpet and furniture.

https://www.aspca.org/news/dogs-and-skunks-smelly-dilemma

Anyone know how to deter skunks from the yard? My family isn't keen on sharing the back yard with the skunk(s) that show up this time of year when we're chilling in the back yard, especially when watching a movie on the projector.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a dog that would go to the beach, find a dead and rotting gull carcass and roll in it, come home reeking. Maybe they get high from the aroma overwhelming their sense of smell, sort of how very loud metal music overwhelms the sense of hearing.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our pit bull mix used to bury chewed up pigs ears in the yard and then roll around in it later. I gave up on pigs ear treats.

My dogs who've had a confrontation with a skunk definitely do not want the smell of skunk on them, though. They're happy to be rid of the skunk smell.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

We had a Husky mix that would find the gut piles of whitetails in the woods during hunting season. Edwina would roll in it and bring home the heads. Only way to get the head away from her was to trade. Hot dogs worked well. Kept her outside during hunting season.