Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Kony 2012

y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
Certainly a different approach to gaining attention to his campaign...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar/16/kony-2012-campaigner-detained

This is why I refrain from ever putting any faith in hipsters.

Comments

• Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    I personally hope the campaign is successful. Even though the guy had a freak out / breakdown / peyote moment, the movement is still valid IMHO. I laugh every time I hear people criticize this for being too simplistic - how complex is it to understand there is a monster out there using children in his reign of terror who needs to be captured or killed? Seems pretty damned straightforward to me.

• Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    46 views to this thread and no replies is a little disturbing too... are pascoe & I the only two on the forums who have heard of this?

• Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    It's kind of funny ..... I too hope that this is a successful campaign, my only concern is this .... If you watch the video when they show the list of people they want to bring to trial .....Kony's #2 is right behind him .... They need to make sure that they catch both of these idiots otherwise it will be a waste ........
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I think this passage from the article is interesting:

"Some also pointed out the group had taken large donations from rightwing Christian fundamentalists groups in the US, who have also funded anti gay-rights causes."

To this I say, WHO CARES!!!! As some of you probably already know, I am a huge advocate of gay rights. Just because I stand opposed to a group of people on one issue does not mean that I can't stand with them on a common issue!!! This is the kind of logic that has our country so divided! I'm not a big fan of Obama, but on the issues that we agree I stand firm with him. One of the things that I certainly agree with Obama (I know this is getting a little off topic but I promise it will come back around) is that in his book "The Audacity of Hope," he points out this very issue of "grey area." These are areas of focus that we can and should all work together on. Areas where we can stand together on a common issue and stand opposed on the next issue if we disagree! I'm not a big fan of right-wing fundamentalist christians either, but I usually find myself standing firm with them on conservatism and fiscal responsibility within our government!

I absolutely hate this kind of negative associative logic and I see it ALL THE TIME!!!
  • Options
    To continue my rant: Just because someone makes a poor decision on one thing does not completely discredit them and all their other efforts for the rest of the life! I'll use Jerry Falwell for example as this is a topic that hits very close to home for me as I'm originally from Lynchburg, VA where Jerry's church, university, home, and everything related to Jerry Falwell is. Jerry has said some really stupid things through the years that I just fundamentally disagree with. Some examples:

"AIDS is the wrath of a just God against homosexuals. To oppose it would be like an Israelite jumping in the Red Sea to save one of Pharaoh's charioteers ... AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals."

"He is purple — the gay-pride color, and his antenna is shaped like a triangle — the gay pride symbol." –from a "Parents Alert" issued in Jerry Falwell's National Liberty Journal, warning that "Tinky Winky," a character on the popular PBS children's show, "Teletubbies," may be gay

"I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!"

Even after all this, when people tell me how much they hate Jerry Falwell and what an evil guy he was, I still defend that he was not! That man has done more charitable work, fed more hungry, clothed more impoverished, housed more elderly and homeless, and given more inspiration to those in their darkest hours than everyone on this forum combined! I don't need to agree with the foolish things he has said to stand with him and praise him for the charity that he performed while on this earth!
  • Options
    Oh.... and I hope they get that Kony b@st@rd!
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    clearlysuspect:
    Oh.... and I hope they get that Kony b@st@rd!

+ 1
  • Options
    pbchevopbchevo Posts: 712
    lol what an idiot.... hopefully it dosent hurt his campaign
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Hope we can stay the hell away from this. Last thing we need is to get involved in more world policing. You take one out of power 2 will rise Africa is full of problems that American involvement will only worsen.
  • Options
    wwestern:
    Hope we can stay the hell away from this. Last thing we need is to get involved in more world policing. You take one out of power 2 will rise Africa is full of problems that American involvement will only worsen.
    I tend to disagree with you on this one. This is actually a war I could get behind. When deciding whether to enter into combat with someone based on defending others, I don't like to fight for those who could fight for themselves. The "Arab Spring" thing in Lybia and Egypt, I was totally against any US involvement because there are enough grown people in those countries to over throw their government if they so choose and are brave enough. These are children we're talking about. I'll fight for them where they are incapable.
  • Options
    As far as starting a grassroots, awareness campaign, this couldn't have been executed any better. Really goes to show how powerful a tool social networking technology can be, other than using it to tell people what you made for dinner last night, as it did. I do applaud the organizers of this and their hearts are definitely in the right place, I just don't feel like they did all of their homework. From what I've read, Kony fled Uganda 4 - 6 years ago and really hasn't been seen since, and the Ugandan army has been accussed of committing war crimes themselves.

I really hope justice finds this guy, but part of me is with Wes on this one. I don't believe the U.S. always had to be the world police. We're spread out pretty thin as it is, why risk more men and women in another armed conflict across the globe? We send the military over there, and I guarantee you all we're gonna see is a bunch of hipsters on television patting themselves on the back and taking credit for it, while we'll probably never know the names of any of the soldiers who got sent over there to risk it it all.

And yes, I know. I'm a cynic.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Bring back the general draft. If Americans want endless war, they will enlist in droves, if they can't support the reasons for our engagements, they won't. Democracy is a beautiful, messy, thing.
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    These are children we're talking about. I'll fight for them where they are incapable.
    I don't know about you but if this was a concern for me that someone might come in the night, kidnap my child, and make them wage war, I would take up arms. So should the Ugandans. My thoughts are A) this is no where near the problem it is made out to be. B) This is the flavor of the month.

From everything I 've read this Kony guy has been inactive for several years.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Wes-----I agree with bout everything you said here. I do think Kony is a bad dude and would love to see him killed (sorry, its the truth), but I have no desire for us to do it and spend more time and money AND LIVES to make it happen.
  • Options
    You're all welcome to join another grassroots campaign I am spearheading.

Photobucket

Angela! Samantha! MONA!!!
  • Options
    Well, what I'm hearing most everyone say is that they don't want to sacrifice "more" of our solders lives on this issue. So what you guys are saying is that if we hadn't already been fighting in countries that have more than enough people to fight for themselves and had a bunch of our soldiers killed for reasons a lot of us disagree with, we'd be all over this. The issue really isn't whether we should help or not, it's that we haven't put our military in a good situation to help people who are really in need by spreading them so thin over the course of the last 10 years.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    You're all welcome to join another grassroots campaign I am spearheading.

Photobucket

Angela! Samantha! MONA!!!
    LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL-----------YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS