Home General Discussion
Options

Cigar or Tobacco Industry Stats/Information

Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey guys,

So, I'm trying to find some info specifically on the premium cigar industry, but tobacco would be ok too although I am really not interested in cigarettes for this... I'm looking for things like industry size in the U.S. in $'s, how much the industry has grown in recent years, and maybe how many $'s worth of cigars are imported into the U.S. per year.

I have looked on the census website, including a few economic surveys, and NAICS codes for tobacco stores, but I am not coming up with much. I found an old FDA site, but it was discontinued and the info is pretty out of date. I really just need basic and recent info, but I am not having much luck and am wondering if anyone has any ideas of where else to look. I was quite surprised at how little info there is out there specifically on premium cigars.. thanks for any help!
LLA - Lancero Lovers of America

Comments

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Hey guys,

So, I'm trying to find some info specifically on the premium cigar industry, but tobacco would be ok too although I am really not interested in cigarettes for this... I'm looking for things like industry size in the U.S. in $'s, how much the industry has grown in recent years, and maybe how many $'s worth of cigars are imported into the U.S. per year.

I have looked on the census website, including a few economic surveys, and NAICS codes for tobacco stores, but I am not coming up with much. I found an old FDA site, but it was discontinued and the info is pretty out of date. I really just need basic and recent info, but I am not having much luck and am wondering if anyone has any ideas of where else to look. I was quite surprised at how little info there is out there specifically on premium cigars.. thanks for any help!
    It may be helpful to know the why behind your inquiry, that way we can try to pin down the right info for ya. If I know what you are looking for and why I may be able to dig and help out ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    IIRC, the entire cigar industry is only around $1 bill; it's a pretty small industry, mostly run by a handful of guys
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    It may be helpful to know the why behind your inquiry, that way we can try to pin down the right info for ya. If I know what you are looking for and why I may be able to dig and help out ;)
    I want to know the same stuff any retailer looking at the industry would want: how big is it, how much has it grown, how much money flows through, and how many people are in the hobby. I am researching from a retail tobacco perspective, as if I were gonna start up shop tomorrow. I want to focus on premium cigars if I can.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    For $900 - you can have this
    http://www.euromonitor.com/cigars-in-the-us/report
    Probably has most everything you need - I'm familiar with these kinds of reports - used to write them myself in the 80s and 90s on various healthcare/pharma/disease markets.

What I would do is contact them, and ask how much the report from 2008 is, or whatever (an older/"outdated" one) - they might give that to you for one or two hundred - then depending on the year - then just do some simple forecasting/projecting, and you'll be pretty close to what is happening now at a fraction of the cost.

There are probably 10 other reports like this out there, half of them for under $500 I'd wager.
    Took me all of 5 seconds to find this one.....keep digging and I'm sure you'll find free info!

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    For $900 - you can have this
    http://www.euromonitor.com/cigars-in-the-us/report
    Probably has most everything you need - I'm familiar with these kinds of reports - used to write them myself in the 80s and 90s on various healthcare/pharma/disease markets.

What I would do is contact them, and ask how much the report from 2008 is, or whatever (an older/"outdated" one) - they might give that to you for one or two hundred - then depending on the year - then just do some simple forecasting/projecting, and you'll be pretty close to what is happening now at a fraction of the cost.

There are probably 10 other reports like this out there, half of them for under $500 I'd wager.
    Took me all of 5 seconds to find this one.....keep digging and I'm sure you'll find free info!

FANTASTIC help King, you always come through for the BORKs out there, I'm quite interested in this myself since I am starting to look pretty hard into opening up my own lounge in the next 3-5 years and want to start getting my numbers crunched and ducks in a row!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I think the government should take over the cigar industry. They could regulate it and classify it and we would know what we are buying. There wouldn't be mold or worm issues because the government will pass regulations on how it should be grown and farmed, and fermented, and manufactured and sold. We could depend on it being the best that money could buy.

Just kidding. LMAO.
  • Options
    Let us know how Russia turns out ;) thanks for the help guys!