Home General Discussion
Options

Nicaraguan 90+ Rated 2nds.

These are the 1-day deal on the sister site. Any guesses on what these suckers are? Pretty tempting at that price, even if they just turn out to be yard gars.

Of course, I bought some AB Tempus 2nds once that were all crap... couldn't get a decent burn out of them to save my life.

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Dude I'd skip them... not enough information to make it a confident buy.

• Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    stephen_hannibal:

Yeah I agree with Stephen ... not enough info .
  • Options
    Hello guys, so far I have purchase the toro and just recently the petite corona, thing with these cigars is you need to put them in the humi for at least a month, they burn well are medium bodied and the aroma according to a female friend is very nice.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:

Well stated. This was exactly what I thought
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Leatherneck:
    Hello guys, so far I have purchase the toro and just recently the petite corona, thing with these cigars is you need to put them in the humi for at least a month, they burn well are medium bodied and the aroma according to a female friend is very nice.
    so they are good.

i suspect they are from the AJ Fernandez factory.

i think most of us are nerdie enough that we dont want a cigar unless we have info on it.
    i feel that they have just as much info out about them as Fuente does about how they blend. Fuente uses "Dominican tobacco" but they dont tell what seed, how they ferment, what growing region, what priming. we still buy them. the cigar in question here is Nicaraguan. if they are good and you arent planning on reviewing and learning every little detail about it, i say go for it. its a cheap smoke that you dont feel bad throwin out if you cant get all the way through it.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

i suspect they are from the AJ Fernandez factory.

if they are good and you arent planning on reviewing and learning every little detail about it, i say go for it. its a cheap smoke that you dont feel bad throwin out if you cant get all the way through it.
    Exactly the reasons I added a mazo of the Toro's to my order this week. Always hopeful for a good low-cost cigar!
    :)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Not AJ. AJ let's me sell his over runs publicly as AJ Over Runs. Different factory. Very prestigious. Wish I could tell you but can't.
  • Options
    well there are only so many factories that are "very prestigious"
    ill have to check em out and see what they taste like.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    Not AJ. AJ let's me sell his over runs publicly as AJ Over Runs. Different factory. Very prestigious. Wish I could tell you but can't.
    Hmm now I'm curious.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    well there are only so many factories that are "very prestigious"
    ill have to check em out and see what they taste like.
    I'm looking forward to hearing what you think.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    IMO Flor De Oliva
  • Options
    Flor De Oliva is a brand that Oliva puts out as a bargain cigar. those are actually firsts.

that doesnt mean that it couldnt be the factory but not that specific line.
  • Options
    I know, they may be seconds of those, or something else from RP
  • Options
    patels factory is in Honduras so it rules out RP.
  • Options
    Sorry, i meant perdomo who is an ahole by the way
  • Options
    Got 'em. Have no idea yet, and probably couldn't get it right anyway, but, for some reason, other than A.J., I found myself hoping that it might be whoever makes La Aroma de Cuba. On thinking that through, it may be because those are on the page before the 90+ 2nds in the catalog and mention a 94 rating, or because I like those. Well, don't think I'll fire one up tonight, but they look good.

• Options
    La Aroma de Cuba is Distributed by Ashton and Blended by DPG.
    id hope for that too.
  • Options
    Hi Amos, was your bundle in the light color wrapper? both the ones i have received have been what appears to be a Ecuadorian-Conneticut wrapper, if you can let it rest a few days at leat in the humi, let me know how they turn out if you remember.
  • Options
    Leatherneck:
    Hi Amos, was your bundle in the light color wrapper? both the ones i have received have been what appears to be a Ecuadorian-Conneticut wrapper, if you can let it rest a few days at leat in the humi, let me know how they turn out if you remember.
    Slightly lighter than either the Pueblo Dominicano or the A.J. signature natural, and without the reddish tint. I wouldn't have thought connecticut, I suppose it's possible if aged, I'm not knowledgeable enough to determine, for sure, it does appear to be a fairly fine leaf.

On a side note, I did try the Replica Chisel last night, ROTT, and it was marvelous. So flavorful, you'd almost have to say "juicy", the way a well ripened mango almost overwhelms the senses.

• Options
    Ok, after that I thought, what? I'm thinking maybe they're not going to all be 2nds of the same cigar, maybe just the same factory. Smoked one yesterday, and I'm saying Camaroon on the wrappers I got. Also, within a minute of lighting I thought, "I've decidedly smoked one of these before", but I can't nail it.

Kuzi, or someone with a more refined palate than myself will be able to distinguish it.

The one I had was quite nice, good damp/earthy sweetness developed into bread and nuts, with a long slow building of pepper than never quite overwhelmed. Maybe Perdomo?

• Options
    id really have to smoke one to know.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    PM me your address, I'll send two, you can smoke one and dissect one.

• Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    kuzi16:
    pm sent

i should amend my statement though... it should have read: "id really have to smoke one to make an educated guess."

• Options
    kuzi16:
    Amos Umwhat:
    kuzi16:
    pm sent

i should amend my statement though... it should have read: "id really have to smoke one to make an educated guess."

Sure, kind of fun to guess, though. They're pretty good smokes for the money, wherever they come from. And that's without any resting time, which usually seems to help.

• Options
    Hello everyone. I have been a long time follower of the forums but this is my first post. After reading this thread I got really interested in these and picked up a pack of corona's to try. They came in a lonsdale size at 44 x 6 1/2 in what seems to be a conneticut wrapper. I just smoked one with about 3 days rest. Im normally not a conneticut guy but this one had a good amount of flavor. After doing some research I think that the onesI received are Oliva Conneticut Reserve's. I had one Oliva Conneticut last summer and I think it is pretty similar from what I remember but it was a while ago. But thats my guess. I think they are Oliva 2nds.
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    kuzi16:
    Amos Umwhat:
    kuzi16:
    pm sent

Sure, kind of fun to guess, though. They're pretty good smokes for the money, wherever they come from. And that's without any resting time, which usually seems to help.
    im about to light one of these up and see what i think.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    im about to light one of these up and see what i think.
    I broke down and added some of these to my last order. I had one strait out of the mailbox. It was actually not too bad. Nothing super special, but not garbage either. I have an idea whose/what factory they're from. I'm interested to see how my guess compares to yours, Matt.
  • Options
    this is a toro and has a medium brown wrapper that is smooth. there is a distinct lump about where the band would be if it had one im sure that this is why this is a second. after the cut the draw is good. i had fear that this would have been a plug but it seems to draw just fine. there is the classic distinct Nicaraguan taste with some sweeter notes to it. Of course we know its Nicaraguan, but where is the sweet coming from? my guess is a Cameroon wrapper. given the description that ccom gives to the grouping, what it tastes like, and process of elimination, i would have to guess that this is an Oliva G.

i have to agree with Tuna Tar Tar on this one.
    Tuna Tar Tar:
    Hello everyone. I have been a long time follower of the forums but this is my first post. After reading this thread I got really interested in these and picked up a pack of corona's to try. They came in a lonsdale size at 44 x 6 1/2 in what seems to be a conneticut wrapper. I just smoked one with about 3 days rest. Im normally not a conneticut guy but this one had a good amount of flavor. After doing some research I think that the onesI received are Oliva Conneticut Reserve's. I had one Oliva Conneticut last summer and I think it is pretty similar from what I remember but it was a while ago. But thats my guess. I think they are Oliva 2nds.
    skweekz:
    I broke down and added some of these to my last order. I had one strait out of the mailbox. It was actually not too bad. Nothing super special, but not garbage either. I have an idea whose/what factory they're from. I'm interested to see how my guess compares to yours, Matt.
    was that your guess?
  • Options
    That feels right, doesn't it. Oliva. Might be. I also thought camaroon wrapper, and I knew I had smoked it before, but not for awhile. I kept looking at it, almost expecting to get a glimpse of the band in my mind. Some have been hard to spot the fault, most have seemed to be either an unsightly spot, or a flaw in the seam. If they keep coming like these, I'll be happy to buy them. Intriguing little puzzles keeps life interesting, don't they? ;)

• Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    That feels right, doesn't it. Oliva. Might be. I also thought camaroon wrapper, and I knew I had smoked it before, but not for awhile. I kept looking at it, almost expecting to get a glimpse of the band in my mind. Some have been hard to spot the fault, most have seemed to be either an unsightly spot, or a flaw in the seam. If they keep coming like these, I'll be happy to buy them. Intriguing little puzzles keeps life interesting, don't they? ;)
    yeah, the flaw was clear on this one. i found no problems with how they smoked, im just not a huge fan of the flavor. for the price im not mad but its not what i have been looking for as of late.
    That kinda makes sense though, i havent been smoking many oliva cigars as of late. i kinda grew away from them. i should retry the Serie O. never liked that one before but now that my palate has changed, who knows.