gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    phobicsquirrel:
    laker1963:
    beatnic:
    jlmarta:
    beatnic:
    jlmarta:
    beatnic:
    Tonight, I'm working on a raccoon that keeps harassing the dog and getting into my shed. I'd rather chase him away but he has been very consistent. You call animal control in these parts and they laugh.

If you have access to one of those 'Havahart' type of traps just trap the l'il bastidge and haul him about 30 miles away and turn him loose. I've got one and it works like a charm.
    Little bustard tore open an eave screen and got in the attic.

They're opportunistic little buggers, aren't they? Where I live, animal control will lend out traps for a week at a time. Ya s'pose they do the same in your area? I bought my own but borrowed them before that.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll see if they will lend me one.
    These little basturds are also very nasty to cats and dogs.

My cat "cubber" (the one in my avatar) has got into fights twice with Racoons. He used to think he was the king of the neighbourhood until he ran into Racoons. Cost me a couple hundred bucks TWICE to have him sewn up at the vet's after both times. These buggers have good sized teeth on them, and can be vicious when cornered.
    So the **** won aye?

I had a couple of raccoons around my area, and after I found out they were hitting up my porch and nesting under it, I got some trap and trapped them. I took them out near the woods (about 10 miles away) and dropped them off. My wife wanted me to kill them but I cant, they are really cute. Dangerous yes, but cute. Damn things were trying to attack me when I let them out.

They use to take the lid off our dog food container outside and sit in the dang thing and eat !
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And, speaking of hummers (we were, a few posts back) I'm out on the patio with a stogie as we speak and I was just buzzed by the first (to my knowledge) hummer of the season. Probably wondering why I don't have the feeders out yet. It seems a bit early for their return migration but I'll get the feeders out, clean 'em up, fill 'em, and hang 'em out for the little beggars. At least they don't spill seed all over the ground and they're nice to have around.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I have a humming bird that has remained in my yard for a solid 3 years. I see him out almost everyday of the year, rain/snow/sun he is the king of the yard.

It is amazing to me how territorial the little guy is and has no fear of crows/stellar jays or pinion jays.
    My hummer flies straight up in the air and will dive down right at the other birds and and spread his tail open so it makes a high pitched "C" sound and buzz them then he hovers over them and chirps as if to tell them get the Fu@k out of my yard. He usually only has to buzz them 3 times before they have had enough and fly away.
    In the summer the other humming birds (4 more) join him, but he knocks them around also. While writing this I decided to go snap a pic for you guys.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good photo. Down here they advise us to take our feeders down for winter to encourage migration. This is the first year I did so. In previous years we had hummers year 'round. I don' t know which way is best.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I take mine down in the winter so it doesn't freeze and crack, but this little hummer has imprinted my yard and become a fixture. I guess migration is too much for him.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bumpin' this thread....

And @ShotgunJohn - over this past weekend we discovered how territorial hummingbirds are too.
    Our dog was sleeping on the patio saturday afternoon and the guy below's parent started dive bombing the dog and chasing her inside LOL.

But yeah, we found this baby hummingbird sitting on the grill Saturday, we assume his nest was blown away in the storm the previous day. His parent kept bringing him food and we gave him a few pieces of watermelon that he seemed to enjoy as well.
    After sitting on the grill for a while, we moved him to the fence, and after a couple hours he flew back up into the tall tree where his "parents" had been sitting which is where I assume his nest had been. Funniest part was watching the "parent" hummingbirds torment our 75 lb dog, haha

Here's the baby:

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hummingbirds, to me, are probably one of the most interesting birds to watch. The fact that they can stop on a dime, hover and back up, is amazing.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    One started hanging around my garden last year, and has returned to torment my dogs as well. It is fun to watch them do battle.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I had a pair of hummingbirds build a nest on top of a wind chime this past winter. They had two babies and it was really cool watching them grow and eventually leave...they went about as far as the peach tree 10 feet away and hung out for a few days, meanwhile the parents still came around and fed them. I took some really good pictures, I need to load them and post.

I find it hilarious how territorial they are. It's as if they have no concept of how small they are and how big I am in comparison.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShotgunJohn:
    I have a humming bird that has remained in my yard for a solid 3 years. I see him out almost everyday of the year, rain/snow/sun he is the king of the yard.

It is amazing to me how territorial the little guy is and has no fear of crows/stellar jays or pinion jays.
    My hummer flies straight up in the air and will dive down right at the other birds and and spread his tail open so it makes a high pitched "C" sound and buzz them then he hovers over them and chirps as if to tell them get the Fu@k out of my yard. He usually only has to buzz them 3 times before they have had enough and fly away.
    In the summer the other humming birds (4 more) join him, but he knocks them around also. While writing this I decided to go snap a pic for you guys.
    wish i had those that long, i only get to enjoy them as they pass thru in fall and spring for about a month each time