Home General Discussion
Options

Box of frozen cigars

I just received a box of Vigalante Maduro Robusto Torpedos and they have been frozen for about two years. Got them from the mother in law and they've been "defrosted" for a few hours. Are they still good? Can they be revived? Help is appreciated from the BOTLs.

Comments

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm , now this is a puzzler. Where's Kuzi ?
  • Options
    jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    Lol! Same thing I was thinking.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Did you thaw them in the fridge?
  • Options
    Direwolf:
    Did you thaw them in the fridge?
    I just put them in there. They've been out for about 4 hours until 5 minutes ago.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Unless they are covered with frost and freezer burnt I'd bet they're fine. Freezing cigars doesn't hurt them at all although I've never heard of freezing them for two years. You don't really need to put them in the fridge to ease them back to life. Take one and fire it up tonight!
  • Options
    Well they look, smell, and feel like fresh cigars. Im just worried about the humidity issue us know since they were frozen for so long.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    If they were air tight, sealed tightly and got no freezer burn then they are fine. however, the cigar might lose some flavor. You also need to rest them in the humidior at least three to six months to let the oil release from the tobacco. Start with 75 humidity then gradually bring them back to 70.
    jfaciane:
    I just received a box of Vigalante Maduro Robusto Torpedos and they have been frozen for about two years. Got them from the mother in law and they've been "defrosted" for a few hours. Are they still good? Can they be revived? Help is appreciated from the BOTLs.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I read a post on another cigar forum where a guy froze some cigars, don't recall the length of time, and smoked one right out of the freezer, he claimed it had more flavor than an unfrozen one. I'm not saying any of that is true, and I have my doubts to his claim of more flavor because from one day to the next two cigars from the same box can taste quite different. But...food for thought.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if they were frozen in a zip-loc then you are noting short of gold.

if they were in a box and they froze quickly they wont lose too much moisture, as the box should protect them. bringing them up to temp slowly is not an issue. you can smoke a cigar right from the freezer no problem.

if the cigars were just thrown in the freezer loose, then there may be some issue. you should treat them like any cigar left out in dry conditions for months on end. they will need lots of time to recover

generally speaking a freezer is no place to keep your cigars and should be avoided save for a few emergency situations. i have not frozen a single cigar in over 7 years when i had a beetle scare and was very new to this game.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well there you go. Sounds like your safe and I just learned something new.