Home General Discussion
Options

So I need to stop smoking for a while

Well guys its been fun, but I need to stop smoking cigars for a little while. Our new insurance has a killer cost for tobacco users and money is too tight right now. I need to lay down the sticks for a year or so. It will just give me some time to age my sticks :-)

I have had a great time on here and will come on every now and again to see whats happening. Right now I am moving everything into one humi for easy upkeep and selling one of these
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_medium-humidors_HUM-75EL.html
The seal is great and I will put in a few extras. I was thinking $40 plus whatever shipping costs, but open to offers.

Thanks again guys.

Comments

• Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Sorry to hear this brother it sucks how insurance companies see no difference between cigarette use and cigar use. Good luck brother we will miss you.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck brother. Enjoy the time with your family. We'll all be here when you get back in action!
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Completely understandable brother. I hope that you do occasionally sneak a schmoke in here and there. Make sure to keep in touch though
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    I'm new to this insurance thing, why do people have to stop smoking and how can they detect tobacco
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    rossdavey2:
    Well guys its been fun, but I need to stop smoking cigars for a little while. Our new insurance has a killer cost for tobacco users and money is too tight right now. I need to lay down the sticks for a year or so. It will just give me some time to age my sticks :-)

I have had a great time on here and will come on every now and again to see whats happening. Right now I am moving everything into one humi for easy upkeep and selling one of these
    The seal is great and I will put in a few extras. I was thinking $40 plus whatever shipping costs, but open to offers.

Thanks again guys.
    BS. You have rights sir and i am fighting for you. Know that.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ross you are a great guy and a fantastic BOTL, we'll miss you on here but completely understand! Take care and stay in touch!! Beautiful humi btw, if I had ANY spare money right now I'd take it off your hands, but I'm strapped due to all the shipping and bombings lately lol.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Sorry to hear Ross . Damn insurance ****'s !
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Take it easy Ross...we'll see you on the other side!
  • Options
    rburke1129rburke1129 Posts: 386
    Sorry to hear that bro...pm to ya.
    Sorry I'm late, but a manure spreader jack-knifed on the Santa Anna.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    big chunks:
    I'm new to this insurance thing, why do people have to stop smoking and how can they detect tobacco
    I am curious as to how they could detect the casual cigar smoker. Honestly, I smoked 2-3 packs a day for years and this is nothign in comparison...having one a weke or so. Think about how many people smoke on the weekends when they drink, but do not consider themsevles...smokers...
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    rossdavey2:
    Well guys its been fun, but I need to stop smoking cigars for a little while. Our new insurance has a killer cost for tobacco users ...
    uh... sounds like you need different insurance to me...

big chunks:
    urine tests. the theory is that tobacco users have more heath issues. the reality is that cigar smokers (even up to 6 churchills a day if not inhaled) dont.

if a test is needed, just stop smoking for like a month before it and if they dont have any tests after that or they need to schedule on every 6 months or a year after, just stop 3-4 weeks before. tobacco (nicotine) tests are not really hard to pass. Nicotine has a short life in the blood and urine. its usually out after a week. tell them you dont smoke. take the piss test with a clean system, then have a cigar later that night. if you have the option to schedule the tests, just make sure you give your self about 2-3 times the amount of time you need to clean up. everything is all good from there.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Dude, that blows. Just know that we'll miss you and have a memorial smoke in your honor. We'll be waiting when you get back.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah man that blows!
  • Options
    jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    catfishbluezz:
    big chunks:
    I am curious as to how they could detect the casual cigar smoker. Honestly, I smoked 2-3 packs a day for years and this is nothign in comparison...having one a weke or so. Think about how many people smoke on the weekends when they drink, but do not consider themsevles...smokers...
    Pretty simple actually. When you get diagnosed with something and the Dr. submits his findings and the insurance sees he report and I any Illness caused by smoking won't be paid by insurance because you lied.
  • Options
    djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    I just got insurance that allowed 12 cigars a year policy. Just had to pass the urine test so I didn't smoke for a month. Maybe you can find a new policy.
  • Options
    rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    This is just what I need to do right now. I am not going to lie, even to an insurance company :-) and this is our only option right now. Won't be forever, but a mans got to do.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about it. take it easy. We live in a very difficult world.
    rossdavey2:

Thanks again guys.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    rossdavey2:
    This is just what I need to do right now. I am not going to lie, even to an insurance company :-) and this is our only option right now. Won't be forever, but a mans got to do.

It is indeed A great man that refuses to lie, even to something as corrupt as an insurance company. My hat, good sir, is off to you for your honesty. As for not smoking........dang.
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    The right decisions are often the hardest ones. Good on you for putting family first man. It takes alot to give up anything in the world that helps you relax - but a guy that runs through fire and electrified wires for fun shouldn't have much trouble.

At least they don't regulate how much scotch you can have.

Take care Ross, hope to see you around at a herf or two still in the not-too-distant future.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    doromath:
    At least they don't regulate how much scotch you can have.

They will, because we're letting them.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    Well guys the is sold and shipping tomorrow. My last smoke for a while will be on Sunday afternoon. Can't decide between a wolfman, face, or a d7 just for the size of the thing.
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    All three :P