Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Viaje Skull and Bones FOAB ~ An Amateur's Point Of View

Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
Today’s smoke of choice is the Viaje Skull and Bones FOAB (Father Of All Bombs).

It’s a 4.5 x 56 robusto that’s a Nicaraguan Puro. The wrapper is Nicaraguan Sun-grown Criollo that is oily and has a wonderful sheen.

The FOAB is solidly rolled with a few small veins.

The pre-light smell is oak, well-oiled leather, and a healthy dose of black pepper.

Immediately after firing it up, the flavors burst forth. A lot of pepper up front backed by fresh-cut oak for the first ½ inch, which is joined by some espresso notes.

The draw produce a lot of smoke, but the smoke feels (for lack of a better word) thin.

An inch in and the previously mentioned flavors are enhanced by a slight dusting of dark chocolate, but none of the flavors linger on the palate for more than a second.

The burn is fairly straight and didn’t require any touch-ups.

I’m still trying to figure this cigar out. It’s putting forth an effort to be a really good smoke, but somehow it falls short.

This is the third FOAB that I’ve smoked and the experience was the same with each one.

I believe the lack of a lingering finish is its downfall. I’ve gotten so used to having my palate coated with lush flavors that the FOAB seemed almost inadequate.

Don’t get me wrong, the flavor profile, the construction, and the presentation are all top-notch…yet I’m underwhelmed.

As I was smoking it, some analogies were going through my mind. Smoking this cigar is like:
1. Drinking non-fat milk.
2. Drinking a NA beer.
3. Going to a strip-club and then going home alone.
4. Getting a massage without a happy ending.

I guess I just expected something more.

I'm sure I'll get some backlash and some harsh words, but I'm not going to lie and tell you everything's rosy.

Remember, I'm not a professional and your palate may differ from mine, so smoke one and make your own judgements.

Comments

• Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    You did better than me. really good review. When Viaje's Oro reserva no.5 became the second best cigar in 2010, people started learning about Andre Farak. I still believe, no Viaje cigar can deliver the taste of the Oro reserva.
    Steve2010:
    Today’s smoke of choice is the Viaje Skull and Bones FOAB (Father Of All Bombs).

It’s a 4.5 x 56 robusto that’s a Nicaraguan Puro. The wrapper is Nicaraguan Sun-grown Criollo that is oily and has a wonderful sheen.

The FOAB is solidly rolled with a few small veins.

The pre-light smell is oak, well-oiled leather, and a healthy dose of black pepper.

Immediately after firing it up, the flavors burst forth. A lot of pepper up front backed by fresh-cut oak for the first ½ inch, which is joined by some espresso notes.

The draw produce a lot of smoke, but the smoke feels (for lack of a better word) thin.

An inch in and the previously mentioned flavors are enhanced by a slight dusting of dark chocolate, but none of the flavors linger on the palate for more than a second.

The burn is fairly straight and didn’t require any touch-ups.

I’m still trying to figure this cigar out. It’s putting forth an effort to be a really good smoke, but somehow it falls short.

This is the third FOAB that I’ve smoked and the experience was the same with each one.

I believe the lack of a lingering finish is its downfall. I’ve gotten so used to having my palate coated with lush flavors that the FOAB seemed almost inadequate.

Don’t get me wrong, the flavor profile, the construction, and the presentation are all top-notch…yet I’m underwhelmed.

As I was smoking it, some analogies were going through my mind. Smoking this cigar is like:
    1. Drinking non-fat milk.
    2. Drinking a NA beer.
    3. Going to a strip-club and then going home alone.
    4. Getting a massage without a happy ending.

I guess I just expected something more.

I'm sure I'll get some backlash and some harsh words, but I'm not going to lie and tell you everything's rosy.

Remember, I'm not a professional and your palate may differ from mine, so smoke one and make your own judgements.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yo Steve if you have any left I will take them off your hands. Love these things.
  • Options
    PM
  • Options
    415415 Posts: 951
    rzaman:
    You did better than me. really good review. When Viaje's Oro reserva no.5 became the second best cigar in 2010, people started learning about Andre Farak. I still believe, no Viaje cigar can deliver the taste of the Oro reserva. [
    interesting as much as i like the vor#5 i love the exclusivo d.e.s so much more

thanks for the review. might have to grab a couple of these to try for myself
  • Options
    The #5 is the reason I had such high hopes for the SBFOAB.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Taste is subjective so please take my opinion just as my personal opinion. Two weeks ago when I was in DC, I had a SBFOAB. It started with great strength- this cigar was also rolled in the same factory Raices Cubana factory in Honduras. This factory makes great cigars. It has strong Chocolate, dark coffee, oaky note with slight roasty flavor. It has decent balance but no complexity. This is the point where I felt the cigar was boring. Construction is good but it was over powering without changing in complex balance and long finish. This is where I lost my mojo to smoke it again. I enjoy the Criollo wrapper and this cigar comes with it.. I believe Andre Farak made this for a group of smoker who likes Warlock kind of cigar. You may like it so please go for it.
    Steve2010:
    The #5 is the reason I had such high hopes for the SBFOAB.