Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Game: Name a cigar youve NEVER heard a bad word about.

I thought this would be an interesting departure from normal review discussions. The premise basically is: Name one cigar you've never heard anyone speak badly about. The rules basically are that you cant have heard anyone ever have a negative comment about this cigar, aside of very minor non-flavor issues (things like "slight burn issue" or "slight construction issue" etc.) I think the development of this list could be interesting as usually everyone has heard one person speak badly about some cigar some time or another. Interesting to see if any contradictions show up.

Comments

• Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    My Contribution: 5 Vegas Series A
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Vidarien:
    Interesting to see if any contradictions show up.

You must not know Kuzi :) LOL

I have never heard anything bad about Arturo Fuente Don Carlos.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Jetmech_63:
    Vidarien:

I was a bit unimpressed. I thought it was fine, but didn't hold its price point.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I like this thread. Good call. Well I have said neg. things about the 5 vegas A. I don't find it that great of a cigar. Now don't go all pitch fork on me you all. So here is a small list...

Ashton VSG
    5 Vegas Gold
    5 Vegas Classic
    Opus X (not on this board but my local shop guy thinks that they have not kept the same goodness that they once had)
    Gurkha Centurian
    Gurkha Beast
    God of Fire
    Monte Whites
    LFD ligero or Double ligero
    5 vegas miami (though I have not had it I haven't heard anyone say it was bad)
    CAO america
    CAO black
    Padron 1926
    camacho triple maduro

Some might have been disliked but I can't recall, though my memory isn't as good as some.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Vidarien:

I've gotten tar buildup on 3/4 that I've smoked. That's not a good thing in my book. :)
  • Options
    Oh Phooey, The king of tar has spoken. How bout......hmmm....never heard anything bad about Onyx.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I know that recently some on here said they didn't really care for the 5 Vegas Gold. I thought somebody was a bit underwhelmed by the Camacho Triple Maduro. Also, I think some may have disliked the Gurkha Beast.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Hmmm, don't remember hearing anything bad about the Ashton VSG, Padron 1926, or the Don Carlos (j0z3r doesn't count, he'd get tar buildup on a milkshake straw).
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    urbino:
    Hmmm, don't remember hearing anything bad about the Ashton VSG, Padron 1926, or the Don Carlos (j0z3r doesn't count, he'd get tar buildup on a milkshake straw).

hahaha
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I have been getting more than my share of tar buildup lately, what's up with that? And I didn't mean that to say the Don Carlos isn't a good smoke, I think it is in fact, I've just been unlucky enough to have problems with some that I've smoked. Come June, I'm looking to make that right, my #3's will have a year on them and ought to be in prime condition.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    urbino:

hahaha
    oh that's good..!
  • Options
    one sticking outta the mouth of a dictator?
  • Options
    robert69165robert69165 Posts: 219
    Habano Manchuro
  • Options
    urbino:

THANK YOU!!!!!LOL

I thought i heard someone on here say they didnt think the VSG was anything special...and i believe it was Kooz.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    The one smoke I don't remember hearing anything bad about is the Fuente Hemmingway. That is one of the most dependable solid smokes on the market in my mind.
  • Options
    I cant recall seeing or hearing anything bad about an Olivia V Maduro
  • Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Ya know I've never heard anything negative about the ccom house blends.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    smbrink:
    Think I remember someone saying that they didn't like the red label, and I know someone didn't like whichever label has the Brazilian wrapper. Let's see, don't recall anyone saying they didn't like 5 Vegas Classic or Nub Cammie.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    I like this thread. Good call. Well I have said neg. things about the 5 vegas A. I don't find it that great of a cigar. Now don't go all pitch fork on me you all. So here is a small list...

Ashton VSG
    5 Vegas Gold
    5 Vegas Classic
    Opus X (not on this board but my local shop guy thinks that they have not kept the same goodness that they once had)
    Gurkha Centurian
    Gurkha Beast
    God of Fire
    Monte Whites
    5 vegas miami (though I have not had it I haven't heard anyone say it was bad)
    CAO america
    CAO black
    Padron 1926
    Some might have been disliked but I can't recall, though my memory isn't as good as some.
    without reading the rest of the thread lemme shoot a fw of them down....

5 vegas gold. FAR too mild. its like holding a stick in my hands and every now and then putting it to my mouth. ok flavor but it would not hold my attention for more then 15 min.

5 Vegas Classic is fairly uncomplex.... however its a good uncomplex.

OpusX... ive heard many a grumble about them. Mostly that they are over rated.

GOF: over rated again. i mean, seriously, $30+ for it? WTF?

monte whites suffer from the same problem that 5 Vegas gold do. Way too mild. With that little flavor/body i dont know how they command the price they do. Gurkha Centurian... two words : Burn issues.

Gurkha Beast is a bit washed out in flavor. Ironically, if they had a smaller ring i bet they would be better... cant call em "beast" then, can you?

LFD Ligiero... hmmm ... i guess that depends if you had a meal before hand. if you dont like the ligero flavor you are SOL. its like the Lx2... ok smoke but uncomplex.

I have a miami... but have never smoked one.

CAO america... i havent had that either, but i know a few that dont like it.

CAO black...honestly i dont remember.... 1926... havent had it Camacho Triple maduro... again havent had it but most seem to expect one thing and they get another. i dont know if thats "bad" but it does put off a few people.

i hope that helped/hurt
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    hey...

• Options
    PuroFreak:
    The one smoke I don't remember hearing anything bad about is the Fuente Hemmingway. That is one of the most dependable solid smokes on the market in my mind.
    i dont like it that much... but i havent had one in a few years so maybe its time to try it again.
  • Options
    Garen B:
    smbrink:
    Think I remember someone saying that they didn't like the red label, and I know someone didn't like whichever label has the Brazilian wrapper. Let's see, don't recall anyone saying they didn't like 5 Vegas Classic or Nub Cammie.
    as a line of cigars they have a mixed filler. Im ok with that but the ash will get ya if you dont pay attention. they also have little to offer in the way of complexity but at that price point, how can i ***?
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    smbrink:
    I have. I just didn't care for the blue and purple labels. I just didn't like the flavors. All the rest are really good though.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    PuroFreak:
    i dont like it that much... but i havent had one in a few years so maybe its time to try it again.
    Well you are just a picky b***h Kuz! haha kidding, but I'm with ya, I'm not a fan of the 5 Vegas Gold, but I do enjoy the Classic. I am curious what was it about the Hemmingway you didn't like though.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Jetmech_63:
    hey...

Hey what :) You just blasted half the cigars we named. Nothing wrong with som opposing opinion, it sparks thought provoking debate, you just seem to dislike more cigars than you like. No harm no foul ;)
  • Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    Ok i read kuzi's critique very carefully, and im going to say these passed muster: Ashton VSG 5 vegas classic GOF Padron 1926 Com Trip Maduro 5 Vegas Miami CAO Black And i wouldve put this in list format if i could, but, my enter key doesnt give me a line break anymore, and it all turns into one big box of text, and i dont know why.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Vid, do this for a line break >br> >br< That sticks a blank line in between your paragraphs. Just flip the signs so that the openings point in towards br. And Kuzi, you made me cry a little inside. I liked or want to try most of the cigars you just lambasted.
  • Options
    you guys just said to critique them... and given the nature of this thread it was supposed to be in a negative way. so...
    let me go back and be positive about those very same cigars.

the Ashton VSG is great. I havent put it in my catalog yet but if i were to do so im guessing i would give it a 92-93

5 Vegas Gold is mild but if you like mild cigars this is a good one for you. the taste is a bit light, but as far as mild cigars go, you wont get too much better

5 Vegas Classic is uncomplex but like i said, its a GOOD uncomplex. yeah, the flavor doesnt change, but the flavor that is there is good.
    mmmm sumatra

Opus X overrated? maybe. still my favorite cigar.

Gurkha Centurian... still my favorite gurkha. very close to the Opus.

Gurkha Beast i said my negative about this one like i didnt have 2 of them sitting in my humidor. its a good smoke. i just think it could be better with a better wrapper to filler ratio.

God of Fire.... $30 of YUM!

Monte Whites you will never have construction issues with this cigar. ever

the power that this cigar has is great. its nice to have a strong cigar that will make you want to sit but is still enjoyable. its a good cigar to give to your golf buddies if they dont smoke cigars. itll throw off their game.

5 vegas miami havent had it

CAO america again, havent had it

CAO black ditto

Padron 1926 ditto

Triple maduro... to many its a very different cigar. i wouldnt know... but i like maduro and i like camacho.

do we all feel better now?

• Options
    kuzi16:
    you guys just said to critique them... and given the nature of this thread it was supposed to be in a negative way. so...
    let me go back and be positive about those very same cigars.

the Ashton VSG is great. I havent put it in my catalog yet but if i were to do so im guessing i would give it a 92-93

5 Vegas Gold is mild but if you like mild cigars this is a good one for you. the taste is a bit light, but as far as mild cigars go, you wont get too much better

5 Vegas Classic is uncomplex but like i said, its a GOOD uncomplex. yeah, the flavor doesnt change, but the flavor that is there is good.
    mmmm sumatra

Opus X overrated? maybe. still my favorite cigar.

Gurkha Centurian... still my favorite gurkha. very close to the Opus.

Gurkha Beast i said my negative about this one like i didnt have 2 of them sitting in my humidor. its a good smoke. i just think it could be better with a better wrapper to filler ratio.

God of Fire.... $30 of YUM!

Monte Whites you will never have construction issues with this cigar. ever

the power that this cigar has is great. its nice to have a strong cigar that will make you want to sit but is still enjoyable. its a good cigar to give to your golf buddies if they dont smoke cigars. itll throw off their game.

5 vegas miami havent had it

CAO america again, havent had it

CAO black ditto

Padron 1926 ditto

Triple maduro... to many its a very different cigar. i wouldnt know... but i like maduro and i like camacho.

do we all feel better now?

LOL
  • Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    im doing this for a line break Im taking out the peroids.