Home Cigar 101
Options

Diesel D7

cmartincmartin Posts: 130
Just had my first one and had a question. Have any of you guys had any burn issues with it? It burned real uneven and the wrapper began to crack about 1/2 way through. It was a great smoke. I'll be getting more without a doubt. Just curious about it. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    How long had you had it? What is the Rh of your humi? These problems may be due to those two issues and over humidity in my experience, but sometimes you never know with hand rolled. I had a MOWPA this morning...one of my favorites hands down. The first one i had was a straight up POS though...sometimes it happens. I had a couple Liga FF pigs this weekend and one was in a humi that was aruond 70, the other around 65-66 and the 70 had wrapper issues. I would consult "The Kuz"
  • Options
    I've had it for about 2 months. My desktop humi is between 68-70. I've haven't had any issues with any of my other sticks in there. I guess when they are hand rolled they are all going to be different. I have another that I'll let rest for a while longer. Just thought it was a lttle weird.
  • Options
    I got a box from cigarsprintsale a few weeks ago, and when I opened the box they were definitely moist. When i pinched the cigars, they seemed very soft. I planned on letting them rest for at least 3 months before I had one. Maybe yours were the same way, and they just need to dry off a little more.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    cmartin:
    I've had it for about 2 months. My desktop humi is between 68-70. I've haven't had any issues with any of my other sticks in there. I guess when they are hand rolled they are all going to be different. I have another that I'll let rest for a while longer. Just thought it was a lttle weird.
    Typically an overly humidified with have burn issues or wrapper cracking. If Unthought Known has the same batch like you and they are spongy, they may need time to rest or you might dry box it before smoking. Good Luck brother they are great, don't give up on the stick you will finally get one to smoke as intended and will sit back and truly enjoy it.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Ive found that if you cut the D7 in half that it's pretty boss. It's like having a Diesel Nub and you get 2 sticks out of 1 lol I'd recommend dry boxing the next one and see if that helps. It could just be really fresh from Nicaragua still.
  • Options
    That's probably what it was. I have another that I'll try and forget about it. Cutting it in half sounds like a good idea. But which end do you light in the piece you cut? Lol. As far as dry boxing. How long should I do that for? Is a few hours process or days? Thanks again.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    cmartin:
    That's probably what it was. I have another that I'll try and forget about it. Cutting it in half sounds like a good idea. But which end do you light in the piece you cut? Lol. As far as dry boxing. How long should I do that for? Is a few hours process or days? Thanks again.
    Honestly I still light the original foot when I do that but I don't think it really matters. Usually a few hours or overnight is plenty. I've heard overnight can be too much but I did that with one that was way over humidified that I got and it smoked great the next morning
  • Options
    KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    yep, over humidified, and needs more rest. could also try letting it sit out for a few hours before smoking another. This allows it to dry out a bit more, so it should smoke better.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Oddly enough....had a year old MOWPA yesterday morning that was fantastic...so good, it made me break out my box of MOWPAM that I got on Sat...and that one had a tight draw and blew up... Moral of the story, it happens with handmade...the most rest the better.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Something else to consider - what was it like outside when you smoked it? Ive found that sometimes if the RH is super high outside vs what you store your cigars at in the humi, you can have some burn and splitting issues, particularly in larger sticks where the smoke time allows that humidity difference more time to work its evil magic.

• Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    Something else to consider - what was it like outside when you smoked it? Ive found that sometimes if the RH is super high outside vs what you store your cigars at in the humi, you can have some burn and splitting issues, particularly in larger sticks where the smoke time allows that humidity difference more time to work its evil magic.

+1
  • Options
    Great point Sniper. I never thought of that. It was a little more humid than usual. I'm in Florida so it's always pretty humid.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Considering the area you live in, been there a bunch, you might want to try dropping the humidity in your box due to the amount of ambient moisture that seems to linger in the Florida air. Let them rest for a while longer then maybe dry box them before smoking, as was already mentioned. Something else previously said, these are hand-rolled so they're not gonna be perfect no matter how much the torceador wants them to be. Each box will have some bad sticks.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Try hanging upside down when you smoke your next one. This lets the humidity drop away from the cigar, lessening the impact of humidity on the wrapper. Remember that gravity affects everything including humidity.

:-)