Home Cigar 101
Options

Random Sticks

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
Curious, do you all buy random sticks that you know nothing about?

Comments

• Options
    ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    sorta i do some research try to find a few reviews. Honestly though reviews dont always help because every ones taste are different.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Imgembo:
    sorta i do some research try to find a few reviews. Honestly though reviews dont always help because every ones taste are different.

+1. I try to do some research and question forum members with similar tastes as mine. I have bought some sticks on a whim and been pleasantly surprised, though.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Hell yeah...smoking one now and loving it!
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    very rarely do i buy random sticks, the random ones i do get are usually in samplers, and I always try to research thoroughly before i buy to make sure i will like them, then again sometimes its good to let go and try something unexpected!
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Only if I am somewhat familiar with the manufacturer or it is a limited edition.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    haha i totally do this. i have so many randoms that i have no idea how to approach them. i was thinking about starting an excel sheet (nerdy i know).
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Only if it is recommended to me by a trusted BOTL. I only purchase stuff for myself if I know (or have a good inclination) that I am going to enjoy it.

that being said, I have bought lots of stuff for the sole purpose of bombing somebody with it...
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I use to get a lot of random sticks when I was starting out, but over the years as I started smoking more I take recommendations from BOTLs and of course I always listen to "The Beard". I pretty much know what I will like and dislike based on tobacco orgin and wrapper and even brand.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    ShotgunJohn:
    I use to get a lot of random sticks when I was starting out, but over the years as I started smoking more I take recommendations from BOTLs and of course I always listen to "The Beard". I pretty much know what I will like and dislike based on tobacco orgin and wrapper and even brand.
    +1
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i only buy cigars that i love. i trade for cigars i want to try.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anytime I check out a new B&M I always look for something I've never heard of. I recently had a "Cuban Counterfeit" that I saw in Vegas. Fired it up on the spot while checking out the Freemont expierence and it was great. Wish I knew where to get a 5 pack of them.
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    check your pms rhamlin
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    +1....too many cigars are out there now a days. If there is a good new cigar, eventually become notable. I do not mind to wait little longer to try a good cigar.
    kuzi16:
    i only buy cigars that i love. i trade for cigars i want to try.
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    I did the other day on a recommendation from the shop owner, glad I did it was a good cigar
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In general, no. If I haven't read up on reviews or heard about it from another BOTL then I will not spend my $$ on it.

IMO there's too many good cigars out there that I know I like (or have read/heard about and think I'll like) to take a gamble on something I know nothing about.
    On rare occasions, I will pick up a "brand new to me" cigar at the recommendation of the B&M owner - but I still usually like to talk with him about it for a few minutes before grabbing it.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes. If I see a cigar in a shop that catches my eye, for what ever reason, I might purchase one to check it out. All depends on the costs.

I've researched a few and bought some only to find out that my taste was a little different than the information I found.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.