Home Cigar 101
Options

Need some ideas for getting beads to top of humi

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
So I have a wineador, and the amount of water it produces is enough to keep the RH around 70% - I don't even need a humidifier. Problem is, I want the RH to drop down to around 65%.

Now, I have about 2 lbs of beads in the bottom, but they don't seem to be doing the job; what I'd like to do is space them throughout the humi, especially on top, to absorb that excess humidity.

Anyone have any ideas how to gerry rig something to spread the beads out? I'd like something a little classier than a pair of panty hose though :p

Comments

• Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    You could use some small Tupperware containers, maybe some really cool glassware such as antique shot glasses. I'm going to put mine in the MOW PA box I've got sitting on my counter. I also have an extra Punisher tube that I'm going to drill small holes in and fill so I can lay it in my top tray of the trunkidor. Just a few thoughts...
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Use their circular containers, or grab an old humi and pull that green crud out of it. I have these placed in several spots throughout my humis with beads in them...perfect
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I use an old box from a sampler. It was a 6 stick sampler so it isn't too big and flat enough not to take up too much headspace. It just work like an open tray and I leave it on the top shelf.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    You could use some small Tupperware containers, maybe some really cool glassware such as antique shot glasses. I'm going to put mine in the MOW PA box I've got sitting on my counter. I also have an extra Punisher tube that I'm going to drill small holes in and fill so I can lay it in my top tray of the trunkidor. Just a few thoughts...
    Dan, I do the same thing with my MOWPA boxes, just drill some holes in the top and they are good to go. Do need to drill into the Pvnisher tube, just use a nail, much faster.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    Toombes:
    Dan, I do the same thing with my MOWPA boxes, just drill some holes in the top and they are good to go. Do need to drill into the Pvnisher tube, just use a nail, much faster.

Thanks for the info, Todd. I was gonna use a small hobby drill bit in an exacto handle, but I do have some small nails I can use.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    xmacro:
    So I have a wineador, and the amount of water it produces is enough to keep the RH around 70% - I don't even need a humidifier. Problem is, I want the RH to drop down to around 65%.

Now, I have about 2 lbs of beads in the bottom, but they don't seem to be doing the job; what I'd like to do is space them throughout the humi, especially on top, to absorb that excess humidity.

Anyone have any ideas how to gerry rig something to spread the beads out? I'd like something a little classier than a pair of panty hose though :p
    Rice will absorb humidity. Maybe you could put some in a couple of shot glasses and place them inside; that should lower it down to where you want it.
  • Options
    MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    I just went to hobby lobby and got some of clear plastic boxes and drilled holes in the lids. The boxes I got are 3x1.5x1.5. They have all different sizesJust drill as many 1/16" holes as you can put in the lids. I think the boxes came in a 4 pack for like $3.00.
  • Options
    st advice I can give is to watch those drippings like a hawk. They will splash and cause mold my friend. I had the same set up and I tore my down because of the water splashing. Make a slide with plastic into the drip pan and DO NOT cover the hole! You must account for your errant splashes or you will open a box of lovely to discover mold! It will, unless you have a slide, drop droplets and they will _uck up your cigars. Trust me. I found out the hard way! I now have a sterlight container and water pillows with a single PG soaked piece of foam and it is the most solid set up after trial and error. Just my $0.02 take it as you will. 
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Cigarnewbie007:
    st advice I can give is to watch those drippings like a hawk. They will splash and cause mold my friend. I had the same set up and I tore my down because of the water splashing. Make a slide with plastic into the drip pan and DO NOT cover the hole! You must account for your errant splashes or you will open a box of lovely to discover mold! It will, unless you have a slide, drop droplets and they will _uck up your cigars. Trust me. I found out the hard way! I now have a sterlight container and water pillows with a single PG soaked piece of foam and it is the most solid set up after trial and error. Just my $0.02 take it as you will. 
    I have been having mold problems, but only in the top drawer where it's most humid; the set up I have now is that the drain hole is plugged, and I made a little ramp so the water dribbles down into the beads.

No mold so far on the bottom, just the top, and even then, I only get mold on the cigars out of cello. The ones in cello, even though they were completely surrounded by moldy cigars that had to be thrown out, were totally untouched by the mold thanks to the cello
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Another testimonial for cello ON.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Here's an idea I tried that worked pretty well for me.

Take one or two of the rectangular humidifiers that come with the humidor when you purchase it... YES, the ones with the crappy green mold magnet foam inside... and bust it open. This can be accomplished usually by grabbing it in both hands and using a twisting motion. Dont just hulk up on the thing or it may break!

Remove the foam and wash the humidifier body with warm water and dish soap. Dry thoroughly.

Fill the humidifier body up with beads, and use some aquarium glue to re-seal it.

These things usually come with magnets, but the part that "stickies" to the lid usually falls off pretty easily. I suggest using a dab of the aquarium glue on the sticky side of the magnet and attaching it to the lid of your humidor / coolidor. Make sure to give the glue plenty of time to set up before you magnet the humidifier body to it.

Voila! You're finished. In your case, since you're trying to soak up humidity instead of producing it, this should be maintenance free and work very well for you I would think.

Dont have any of the humidifier bodies since, like most of us, you probably pitched that mold growing piece of crap along with the un-calibrate-able analog hygrometer that came with the humidor when you purchased it? No problem - just post a thread asking for them and I bet some folks around here have some laying around that they would be happy to donate or trade with you for. :-)

Hope this helped, and good luck!

• Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    I think if it was me I would use something with a lid that screws on. When you are absorbing humidity, you would want to be able to pull the beads out and dry them, so that they can reabsorb water. I would look for a plastic container that functions like a mason jar. I would drill a bunch of holes in the container. You can screw the lid into the top of your humi, and then screw the mason jar in and unscrew it for maintenance.
  • Options
    I use a plastic soap dish. It came with a top with holes in it, so I didn't need to drill anything. It works well. But I also realized that I have an empty R&J Habana Reserve tin (it used to fit 10 small cigars). I'm going to drill some holes in the top and use that instead. It's thin, doesn't take up much space, but fits a good amount of beads for my desktop humidor. I have 3 desktops and that'll fit the right amount of beads for each of them.

For my coolerdor and big humidor, I just use pantyhoes.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Unthought_Known:
    For my coolerdor and big humidor, I just use pantyhoes.
    This comment has inspired me! Im going to figure out a way to attach some pantyhose full of beads to the lid of Coolidorasaurus so when I open it, it will look like Coolidorasaurus' ball sack is hanging down!!! BRILLIANT! LMAO!!!

Will be sure to post pics when I git er done! :-)

• Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    The Sniper:
    Here's an idea I tried that worked pretty well for me.

Take one or two of the rectangular humidifiers that come with the humidor when you purchase it... YES, the ones with the crappy green mold magnet foam inside... and bust it open. This can be accomplished usually by grabbing it in both hands and using a twisting motion. Dont just hulk up on the thing or it may break!

Remove the foam and wash the humidifier body with warm water and dish soap. Dry thoroughly.

Fill the humidifier body up with beads, and use some aquarium glue to re-seal it.

These things usually come with magnets, but the part that "stickies" to the lid usually falls off pretty easily. I suggest using a dab of the aquarium glue on the sticky side of the magnet and attaching it to the lid of your humidor / coolidor. Make sure to give the glue plenty of time to set up before you magnet the humidifier body to it.

Voila! You're finished. In your case, since you're trying to soak up humidity instead of producing it, this should be maintenance free and work very well for you I would think.

Dont have any of the humidifier bodies since, like most of us, you probably pitched that mold growing piece of crap along with the un-calibrate-able analog hygrometer that came with the humidor when you purchased it? No problem - just post a thread asking for them and I bet some folks around here have some laying around that they would be happy to donate or trade with you for. :-)

Hope this helped, and good luck!

+1 I used Copenhagen cans with panty hose glued over a hole in the lid. You can open the cans to add or subtract/ maintain the beads.
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Im planning on making a contraption out of window screen like material. I think I'll be able to attach it to the underside of the lid or possibly use it as a divider.