Home General Discussion

tar build up and aged cigaers

I have seen on other threads the mention of tar buildup. How do you identify when your cigar has this during smoking? How do you keep from getting tar build up? I try to blow thru my cigar about every inch or so and let the cherry die down before my next puff. Will this help keep from getting buildup? Next question, has anyone bought from the aging room? Was the cigar worth the asking price ? How was it compared to a "fresh" version of same cigar if you had both versions?

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I have no idea how I "keep from getting tar build up," but I do. It's never happened to me. Just lucky, I guess.

I've bought from the aging room. I bought Gran Habano VLs and Graycliff Originals. The GHs aren't available anymore, so I haven't had a non-aged version. I have had fresh Graycliff Originals, though, and the aged ones are definitely better.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Don't hex yourself ubrs, I was happy to have never gotten tar build up and low and behold I've been stricken with it too many times for comfort in the past week. Nasty nasty stuff.

As far as I know, you can't prevent the build up, but you can take measure to prevent the nastiness from getting into your mouth. First of all, don't get the cigar too wet, it will just help to make the tar less viscous. Second, if you notice a gummy, brown residue on the head of the cigar, get a damp paper towel and wipe it away. If you notice a terribly bitter taste, you may have some tar on your lips and some rubbed off on your tongue, wipe your lips on a damp cloth or paper towel to get the tar off. And the most useful thing I can think of to prevent/deal with tar build up is to make sure and get a good cut on your cigar, I get the worst tar build up when my cut is slight and leaves a small opening...I haven't decided yet if that last part actually helps, but it can't hurt.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    You keep those tar cooties over there on your side of the Mississippi.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    a larger cut may help also. if you punch, then use a larger punch. If you clip.... well, i guess you should clip a tiny bit more.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    You can try a V cut too. So far I haven't had ay tar buildup with a v cut.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    urbino:
    You keep those tar cooties over there on your side of the Mississippi.

Ha