Home Cigar 101
Options

Not sure I understand some cigar shops.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
A friend of mine called me that was getting into cigars.
He purchased a nice humidor and a bunch of cigars to keep at his house.
He was having a problem with his humidor humidity being too high.

He lives in an area where the humidity is already 80%+. I asked him what all he has done to it and he said the shop he bought it at told him to wet down the inside, fill the humidifier with distilled water and close it up for a few days.
So it's been a week and the humidity won't come down below 90%. Ya think?.

Told him to take the humidifier out, open it up and let it come down to 70% and close it up and see what happens. A week later, it is still sitting at 70%.

So here's my problem. Why are these shops telling people to put a full humidifier in an new humidor that they just wiped down, in a high humidity area?
Do they all have some general how to sheet that they go by?
I could see it if the thing was dropping below 65% in a low humidity area, but don't these places know the area they are in?

OK, that's my rant. LOL!
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    The humidor needs to be seasoned no matter where it is....outside humidity levels really have no impact on an air tight humi...Sounds like they told him how to season it, this can take a week or 2 to accomplish properly...
  • Options
    I guess I'm odd then. Cause I wet it down, put the humidifier in it for about a week and then check it. If the humidity is high, I pull the humidifier and see if it comes down after a while. If a week goes by and it's still way high, I open it and let it breath. But I live in a very high humidity area, so it isn't uncommon for the humidor to want to go to 80%, if not paid attention to. Especially if it's been gotten into a lot. So often times, I may have to put a cracker or dry gel crystals in to keep it in check.

Then again, for all I know, I could have been doing it wrong all these years.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    Check out boveda.com. They have all the stuff you need with easy complete instructions. No guesswork.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I would suggest using a regulating gel, beads, or boveda. I have had humi'**** 90 upon seasoning for days and while he may need to let it air out, it is not uncommon to see this if he used entirely too much water. Either way, I would suggest him taking his time.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Boveda is the way to go IMHO . No hassell , fool proof ( why I use it :-) ) and constant -reliable every time .
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Oregon coast? You don't need a humidor. You need a dry box. I'm down here in the deep, deep south (N.O.) and my humidors stays above 65%, when open all day. Your problem in Oregon is preventing "mold"(too humid). Use the products that both put out, and take in, humidity (beads, gell, etc.). But, for the most part, you don't even need a humidor. Good air flow is what you need. Put a hygrometer out in your house and follow it. I suspect it stays in the range of what you need.
  • Options
    beatnic:
    Oregon coast? You don't need a humidor. You need a dry box. I'm down here in the deep, deep south (N.O.) and my humidors stays above 65%, when open all day. Your problem in Oregon is preventing "mold"(too humid). Use the products that both put out, and take in, humidity (beads, gell, etc.). But, for the most part, you don't even need a humidor. Good air flow is what you need. Put a hygrometer out in your house and follow it. I suspect it stays in the range of what you need.
    Yep. I put beads in mine. It seems to allow it to stay where I like it.
    Right now, the humidity outside is 83%, house is 70%. Humidor is 66%.
    If I put shipped cigars in it, it will climb to 74+% in no time at all, so I put them in a separate dry, empty humi for a bit, to bring them down.

Anyone like us in high humidity areas has a bit of a tough time, because we fight the moisture.
    I've tried dozens of different things, but the beads seem to work the most reliable for me.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Beads are the best for the PNW.. I use the Boveda packs because I dont like giving up the space for the Beads,,I also use a dehumidifier in the more humid months to help with the RH of the room..that really helps...
    http://www.amazon.com/ADER65LP-Pint-Dehumidifier-Speeds-Circulation/dp/B004U503ZS
  • Options
    I have heard about Karma Cigar it is a very customer friendly place with the largest selection of cigars in Northwest Indiana.  They also have a superior selection of cigar accessories
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    KarmaCigar:
    I have heard about Karma Cigar it is a very customer friendly place with the largest selection of cigars in Northwest Indiana.  They also have a superior selection of cigar accessories
    Hello Karma Cigar, nice to meet you.....LOL...
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    KarmaCigar:
    I have heard about Karma Cigar it is a very customer friendly place with the largest selection of cigars in Northwest Indiana.  They also have a superior selection of
    ya don't say? You should probably post that on the Karma cigar forums, posting here is bad cigar karma.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    KarmaCigar:
    Now we all have... and Dewd... this is NOT going to help your business. Using a competitors site for advertizing your own site is classless and cheesy.
  • Options
    KarmaCigar:
    Nope, no self serving spam post there at all.
    image&nbsp &nbsp image
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    KarmaCigar:
    Booooooooooooo!!!!!!
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Dear Karma Cigar...

Recently my sister was accosted by a distant, but blood relative. She has been in rehab for several months and the damage, unfortunately, seems permanent. She has cold shakes at night, day tremors and she can no longer trust men. This last part is quite unfortunate for she is married to a wonderful and supporting man, but his touch now turns to stone around her. They have three kids, two of which are boys and, sadly, the eldest who is turning 17 next month is growing more and more distant from his mother. It seems that as he ages, and certain adult male characteristics come forth, she is now not even loving towards her own son. Truly a tragedy has happened to my family.

I hate you more than the man that raped my sister...
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KarmaCigar:

I, too, have heard about Karma Cigar. I heard that they have no class at all and try to advertise on a competitor's forum to, hopefully, steal away some of their business. Well, it ain't gonna happen, Dood. As you can probably tell, we kinda frown on that cheap sh it around here. I recommend you spend your time elsewhere. You can leave, like, NOW!
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Klassless Cigar opened a new shop?
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They got balls. Just no brains.
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    I have heard about Cigar.com it is a very customer friendly place with the largest selection of cigars in Northwest Earth. They also have a superior selection of cigar accessories and the occasional useless spammer cigar spammer
  • Options
    KarmaCigar:
    Actually, I gotta say that I wouldn't buy or ever do business of any kind with Karma Cigar because you used a thread started by ME to post your crap on. That is disrespectful to this forum, the members of it and to me. I take that personal. So you, sir, can kiss my derriere.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    KarmaCigar:
    Now we all have... and Dewd... this is NOT going to help your business. Using a competitors site for advertizing your own site is classless and cheesy.
    exactly. ill never shop there now. not ever.
    not that i woulda before...
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    The shop's called karma... oh, the irony.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's hilarious.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    BigT06:
    The shop's called karma... oh, the irony.

I'm surprised no one pointed that out before haha!