Home General Discussion

Forum Blend Vote - Filler #3

Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
Okay guys, we are well on our way to quite a cigar. Wrapper Sumatra Ecaudor Oscuro, fillers so far are Nicaraguan Condega and Nicaraguan Ometepe. Time to vote on the third filler. Like last time, below are my recommendations but feel free to vote for whatever you want. With the base of Copan, we have more options. Everyone vote for one. Voting closes midnight EST Wednesday

STRONGLY RECOMMENDED

Habano Copan Honduras - also referred to as "La Entrada", this is a particularly unique wrapper that has become popular in the past 24 months. Grown by Oliva Tampa one of Honduras' oldest growing regions, this wrapper has all the elegance of Habano Ecuador yet teams with flavor and complexity as well as strength. Examples include Diesel Unlimited and Man O War Puro Authentico.

Jalapa Habano - Nicaraguas northern most growing region, its red soils and shade growing produce a very sweet habano seed leaf that is thin for ideal combustion and shows notes of cedar and hints of red pepper. Also available in limited quantities of sun grown for an even richer experience. Examples include Padron natural, gran habano corojo, cuba libre one, cu avana intensus and many others. Nicaraguas most popular wrapper growing region.

Esteli Habano - this wrapper has a very, very small yield. So small in fact that I can't name a single cigar on the market that uses it on account on how limited it is. Esteli is known for growing nicaraguas most robust fillers, every year, 1 to 2% of the crop is over wrapper grade and could be used as wrapper. A forum blend with this would be the first blend I know if in the industry actively using Esteli Sun Grown.

San Andres maduro - found on cigars like Padron Maduro, Nica Libre and Liga Privada Under Crown, this wrapper is very popular among maduro fans but its appearance is not the rich, espresso brown most maduros may present. Grown in Mexico from proprietary seeds planted in San Andres for nearly 150 years, this wrapper has excellent combustion with a pleasant sweetness and is ideal for medium bodied maduros which don't lake anything in flavor department.

Mexican Maroon- Steming from the same plant as the San Andres, these lower priming leaves take on more of a reddish hugh than its darker counterpart. The flavor is somewhat bitter yet carrys undertones of sweetness and spice. It is most noted for having a long and distinct, bitter finish.

Dominican Criollo - most coveted as a filler, there is a small wrapper yield of this tobacco making it somewhat limited. While it is not much to look at, it is a rich leaf with a distinct bitter spiciness that delivers in both flavor and body. Many cigars from Pinar del Rio as well as Vegas Relic use a wrapper such as this.

COULD BE USED

Mata Fina - Found on cigars like CAO Brazilia for example. Brazilian wrapper with a nice light sweetness but a core of chewy, leathery flavors and light spiciness.

Pennsylvania Broadleaf Maduro - large leaves grown in Pennsylvania and cured over hickory fires. This leaf is as sweet as it is spicy with definable woody, hickory notes. Examples include Diesel Unholy Cocktail, Rocky Patel Winter Blend and 5 Vegas Gold Maduro.

Panamanian - an exotic and sweet tobacco. Thick smoke with notes of maple and a light peatiness.,br>
NOT RECOMMENDED Arapiraca - Found on CAO Black VR and Cigar.com Brazilian Label. Sweet maduro grown in brazil. Sugary qualities and an oily wrapper. Sweet with notes of wood and and a light peat and maple.

Indonesia - Thin and somewhat blotchy wrapper. It is slightly sweet yet bitter also with a sharp finish. Found mainly on cheap cigars. IE Flor de Oliva.

Cameroon - Sumatra seeds planted in Africa and harvested by a network of small independent farmers, Cameroon wrapper can be found on a host of cigars including Cohiba Red Dot, Fuente and Partagas. Cameroon wrapper is toothy and oily yet very thin and delicate making if flavorful with ideal combustion. Most popular in the late 1990's, this wrapper today still remains a popular choice for master blenders, favored for its sweet cedary notes and long finish.

Peruvian - an exotic and toasty tobacco with some sweet cedary notes and floral tones.

Columbian Cubita - an exotic leaf that is toasty and bready with slight pepper tones.

Comments

• RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Dominican Criollo, I'll keep trying, lol.

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Habano Copan Honduras
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I'm with Rick on this one. Dominican Criollo
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    My vote's for Habano Copan Honduras

We've already voted in 2 of the 3 fillers from the 2009 cigar; if we go with San Andreas, it'll be 3 out of 3, an almost identical re-make

• JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Habano Copan Honduras
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    San Andres maduro
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    San andreas maduro
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    JDH:
    Habano Copan Honduras

Hear, hear! Copan, if you please.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    jalapa habano
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Dominican Criollo
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    RCY Cigars:

hahaha, I hear you on this one Rick, I wanted this in the blend as well but I want Copan honduras more.

So my vote is Habano Copan Honduras.
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    San Andres Maduro
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jalapa Habano Sungrown.
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    boydmcgowan:
    RCY Cigars:

hahaha, I hear you on this one Rick, I wanted this in the blend as well but I want Copan honduras more.

So my vote is Habano Copan Honduras.

Hey I understand.....

• bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Tough choice, but i'll go with San Andres maduro.
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    San Andreas Maduro
  • rburke1129rburke1129 Posts: 386
    Habano Copan Honduras
    Sorry I'm late, but a manure spreader jack-knifed on the Santa Anna.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Esteli Habano.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    JHewey:
    San Andreas Maduro
    +1
  • martymcg43martymcg43 Posts: 396
    Jalapa!
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Habano Copan Honduras
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    The inside of a tangerine white owl.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    San Andreas Maduro
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Habano Copan Honduras
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Habano Copan Honduras
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Going for Habano Copan Honduras again!
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    Habana Copan Honduras
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    San Andreas maduro
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmm.. Not sure I should put in my two cents here, being new to this forum, but..

Being a cameroon fiend, I'd love to say I would vote for the cameroon, but not sure how well it would be as a filler or in that combination.

Habano Copan Honduras, would be the next choice.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Jalapa Habano