Home General Discussion

CCOM Replica Series

scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
Saw these in the new magazine. Talk about a good 3 cigars to replicate! For those of you who haven't seen it well here it is

Replica A. Fuente Hemingway Mazo 10 for $24.95
Replica LFD Mazo 10 for $24.95
Replica Padron Anniversary Mazo 10 for $34.95

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Yeah, I saw those too. I'd like to try them, but don't really have the room to commit to 30 sticks atm.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    ok newb question. what does "replica" exactly mean? Did for example Padron actually make it but theyre "seconds?" etc?
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    No these are not seconds they are reverse engineered blend made to replicate the afore mentioned blends. AJ is doin the work with these so they should be good.
  • jliu:
    ok newb question. what does "replica" exactly mean? Did for example Padron actually make it but theyre "seconds?" etc?
    Based on the description it looks like they're made to replicate/copy the Padron Anniversary, but they're not actually made by Padron. I've never had a replica/alternative cigar that tasted like the real deal, so I wouldn't expect these to be like a Padron Anniversary, but they might be good on their own merit.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    No these are not seconds they are reverse engineered blend made to replicate the afore mentioned blends. AJ is doin the work with these so they should be good.
    Crap, more AJ stuff i cant afford...
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    Good God, man, does AJ even sleep? Or is he actually triplets that act as the same dude?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    As much as I love most of the stuff AJ makes, and as much as I love a lot of the stuff CCom has made for them... these don't sit right with me.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    As much as I love most of the stuff AJ makes, and as much as I love a lot of the stuff CCom has made for them... these don't sit right with me.
    +1
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Simply marketing term. JR cigar also has a huge production line as J.R. Alternative. It is not possible to make a replica without same kinds of tobacco. If someone want to make better or similier quality cigar then just make a good cigar and let the smokers decide which one is better then Padron, Fuente or LFD. A good cigar will always be regarded as a good cigar.
    jliu:
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    reverse engineered...
    im not sure that people understand just how difficult this task is.

i would venture to say that there are only a few people on the planet that can actually do what was done here.

not only does each seed in each blend have to be identified, but the growing region, priming, curing process, fermentation process, rolling style and aging room time. though all the guys in the cigar business are friends and have respect for each other, there is a competition here. Blends have secret elements. if these secrets get out then anyone can make the blends that have made entire companies.

this is one of those moments that makes me realize that i know absolutely nothing about cigars.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Ill be interested to give these a try. I'm a fan of AJ and anyone who also is a fan and isn't biased has to admit the man has been making simply awesome leaps forward. That said, duplicating smokes is always going to be a split decision on personal opinions and people are very opinionated so we can guess who will be for or against them. I'll be anxious to see some reviews from the guys I know are no nonsense no bias just enjoy any good smokes.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Our replica line is something new. We took a few of our best selling skis and got the think tank over at CCOM together to match the flavor. They are no all AJ made so please do not be mislead and if our copy has done such, I will will rewrite it. We are starting with three or so lines. I will say, the Padron is a damn good copy of the genuine article but to exact the hemming way, we had to go to the Dominican Republic. If these are lines you are accustomed to, this is a great, low cost alternative. We set out to match the flavor and size. Nothing more. There are great cigar makers out there who make great product and we are merely emulating their efforts. We have a talented team here that invested a lot of time in this project and if our customers see the value we will continue our efforts to deliver some super premium cigars with exacting flavor at cut rate prices. I hope you guys enjoy and look forward to your feedback.
    Thanks for clarifying Alex. Now I am really interested to try. is there a way to get three of each line rather then ten? One question, you mentioned that for the Hemminway line the blender used Dominican tobacco and assume also used Cameroon wrapper. What about the LFD? What about the Padron Family Reserve. Please correct me if I am wrong, Padron FR 45th use San Andres Maduro wrapper though they do not say that. is this information true? I tried the Nica Libre 1990 and got some close taste of regular Padron but with less complexity. Apperently, cigar.com did considerable amount of work with these three blends. I am always open and curious. Could you please tell us exactly what LFD and Padron line you are comparing with? Thanks!
    Alex Svenson:
    Our replica line is something new. We took a few of our best selling skis and got the think tank over at CCOM together to match the flavor. They are no all AJ made so please do not be mislead and if our copy has done such, I will will rewrite it. We are starting with three or so lines. I will say, the Padron is a damn good copy of the genuine article but to exact the hemming way, we had to go to the Dominican Republic. If these are lines you are accustomed to, this is a great, low cost alternative. We set out to match the flavor and size. Nothing more. There are great cigar makers out there who make great product and we are merely emulating their efforts. We have a talented team here that invested a lot of time in this project and if our customers see the value we will continue our efforts to deliver some super premium cigars with exacting flavor at cut rate prices. I hope you guys enjoy and look forward to your feedback.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I'm a bit with Doc on this but at the same time it is intriguing.
  • mannishmannish Posts: 6
    I ordered some Padron replicas should be here tommorrow - I have tried another companies alternative to Padron not bad but not there of course

Let us know what you think. I still dot not believe it is easy to copy a Padron Family Reserve, 1926 or even 1964 as well as Fuente. They both are overpriced cigar but comes with very unique flavor and construction.
    mannish:
    I ordered some Padron replicas should be here tommorrow - I have tried another companies alternative to Padron not bad but not there of course

• chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    Updates?
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definately got to give these a try!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man the Hemingway ones are all ready sold out. Not that I can buy yet but just looking. Hope to see some reviews in a week or two.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I'm excited to give these a try. I don't really care if they are an exact match or not, as long as they are tasty that's all that really matters. At this price if they deliver on taste they'll find a way into my humidor. Ccom never ceases to amaze me with their efforts to deliver great cigars at affordable prices.
    I tried the Padron replica right off the truck Friday night - outstanding but don't think of it as a Padron  replica cause it is not - it has hints but not even close to replicating the Padron. It is outstanding on it's own.  Highly recommended much better than cigars that are more hyped and more priced.  If you like Padron type body then you will like these- buy them now. I smoked a Padron Anni the next night, Saturday and it was obscenely excellent

I really liked the Padron Replica - wish they had named it something else(especially since it is not box pressed) because people will try it expecting it to be a Padron replica and it is simply an excellent, rich cigar.

definitely buying more 
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Thanks for the notes mannish, and welcome to the forum. Seeing these in the mag raised my interest as well.
    I thought so, it is not easy to make something like Padron or Fuente. Thanks for sharing Mannish.
    mannish:
    I tried the Padron replica right off the truck Friday night - outstanding but don't think of it as a Padron  replica cause it is not - it has hints but not even close to replicating the Padron. It is outstanding on it's own.  Highly recommended much better than cigars that are more hyped and more priced.  If you like Padron type body then you will like these- buy them now. I smoked a Padron Anni the next night, Saturday and it was obscenely excellent

I really liked the Padron Replica - wish they had named it something else(especially since it is not box pressed) because people will try it expecting it to be a Padron replica and it is simply an excellent, rich cigar.

definitely buying more 
    the bad thing is I only bought one 10 pack and I should have bought several. These 10 will go quick, I think I'll have another tonight.