Home Cigar 101
Options

A question about little cigars in tins

JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
I have been looking around for some small cigars, like cigarillo sized, for when I am in the mood for a cigar but don't have a lot of time or whatever. I know there are little cigars in tins, I've seen macanudos and CAO, among others, in them. If I got some of those, would I need to keep them in the humidor or could I just stick the tin in a desk drawer and keep them there? I've been looking around on here and am having a hard time finding a definitive answer.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    humidor all the way. the tins are not air tight.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If they are dry cured, you don't have to humidor them. How you'd determine if they're dry cured is beyond me though, perhaps the tin will say.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy the Rocky Patel 1990 Junior tins, Arturo Fuente Cubanito tins and H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon Pequenos tins. I throw them in the humidor, more out of habit than anything else.

The wife keeps a tin of the Rocky Patels in her purse for me, for when we are out and I don't bring something with me and I've never had a problem with any of them.

Most of the tins I usually buy are 4x38 or 4 1/2x38. I don't know the answer to that. It will be interesting to see what anyone finds.

If you like criollo cigars, CAO has a dandy little tin cigar in the Criollo Pampas. They are usually about $10-$12 for a tin of 5.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! That helps a lot. Along the same lines, do you think a pipe tobacco cigar would need to be kept in a humidor since pipe tobacco is cured differently than cigar tobacco, or at least that is my understanding?
  • Options
    OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    A humidor of sorts (like a mason jar or a tupperware container) is a good idea, but NEVER store it in the same humidor as your stogies. You don't want to ruin your premium cigars by laying an aromatic bomb in there with them.
  • Options
    So, I picked up a tin of Romeo Y Juliet the other day, and they weren't kept in any kind of humidified storage. I've noticed this pretty well everywhere. They seemed a bit dry to me, so I tossed them in my humi, but do these need to be or are these particular ones made differently than the larger ones that I've picked up at the B & M before? My other question is should I take the wrapper off? They have those kind of wrappers with the little pull tab that takes off a little cap at the top like the foil wrap on a gas station cigarillo, only it is clear plastic. Are these actually sealed or is it just a different way of wrapping the cigar since it is stored as it is in a little tin and is more of a space-saving technique?
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    JZerby:
    So, I picked up a tin of Romeo Y Juliet the other day, and they weren't kept in any kind of humidified storage. I've noticed this pretty well everywhere. They seemed a bit dry to me, so I tossed them in my humi, but do these need to be or are these particular ones made differently than the larger ones that I've picked up at the B & M before? My other question is should I take the wrapper off? They have those kind of wrappers with the little pull tab that takes off a little cap at the top like the foil wrap on a gas station cigarillo, only it is clear plastic. Are these actually sealed or is it just a different way of wrapping the cigar since it is stored as it is in a little tin and is more of a space-saving technique?

Those actually should be in a humidity controlled environment. The RyJ cigarillos are not cured tobacco and are exactly like the larger ones. That little plastic wrap around it is not air tight and doesn't do a thing to preserve humidity. It doesn't matter if you store the tin with or without the cello around the cigarillos.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    The wife keeps a tin of the Rocky Patels in her purse for me, for when we are out and I don't bring something with me and I've never had a problem with any of them

Wish i had it like that :), i need to teach my wife that trick!
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    0patience:
    The wife keeps a tin of the Rocky Patels in her purse for me, for when we are out and I don't bring something with me and I've never had a problem with any of them

Wish i had it like that :), i need to teach my wife that trick!
    Actually I think she has me trained.

We've been together for close to 30 years. She takes care of me. I keep telling my boys that if they find a gal like their mom they'd better make them happy. That's the key. She makes me happy, I make her happy. Well she let's me think I do. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.