Home Ratings & Reviews

One of the Worst....

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
Expensive Beers I've ever had!!!! Firestone sucaba...

http://www.firestonebeer.com/beers/products/sucaba-spring-2012

So anyone who has had Firestone Beers may know that they do offer a wide range of things. I've had some great beers from them as well as some really, almost the thickest beers ever. However I bought this Sucaba at a beer shop for around 14 bucks maybe higher, anyway it was awful. WAY to sweet and was loaded with HONEY. Like overboard.

The description of this beer is no where near close, too bad too because it sounded yummy. Anyway, just wanted to let you who like their beers aware. And sadly I got all settled in for a nice session with a padron too!

Comments

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Sucaba is their take on an English barleywine aged in American bourbon barrels. It's a remake of Abacus which was the 2011 English barleywine they did. Though barleywine styles usually run on the sweeter side(most anyway), sounds like yours was way out in left field. Barleywine ages very well but it would take a looooong time to tame that much sweetness. If the beer shop has parabola, I highly reccommend that. A small batch almost double imperial stout. If you like imperial stout this is the way to go. If you can't find any let me know, Firestone is about a hair under 2 hours from me.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I think they did, I didn't get it but I need to go back and see. Thing is on the sucaba is that it was way off the chart. I love barleywines, in fact one of my fav's is from Rogue. I go to newport quite often and every time they are out of them to buy. You can still get one off tap, but I wanted to get some bottles to store. However our Saturday/Sunday markets downtown have a tent from Rogue and I get a bottle every time I'm down there. Have two so far! Just noticed they were down there a couple of weeks ago and that they have it there at times. The guy is stingy as all get out and it's not cheap, 16 bucks for a pint.
    16 a pint, jeezus!. Had Sierra Nevada Bigfoot or their anniversary barleywines? Other ones I've had that I love are stone old Gaurdian, shipyard and Avery, too bad more breweries don't make them...
    Stone makes one aye.. Nice I like a lot of their beers. I'll have to try that.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear you didn't like this one. I honestly love this brew. I think Suaba is a phenomenal example of a barrel aged barley wine. It is definitely on the sweet side but well balanced and has very distinct cherry and almond notes on it. I just did a beer tasting recently and this was one of the favorites among some serious beer collectors. Could be just the style.

Rogue makes some good stuff but these are very different brews. While I agree that barley wines generally stand up to age well, this one may be at its peak and with too much time might start to show metallic, oxidized notes. I have 3 in the Firestone aging box just to find out.

Parabola is set to release again in June, so that's right around the corner. A bottle of that was opened at the tasting as well (2011 release) and it's settling nicely but still very young. That one should age very well. I personally think it will stand up to 5+ years very easily.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    16 a pint, jeezus!. Had Sierra Nevada Bigfoot or their anniversary barleywines? Other ones I've had that I love are stone old Gaurdian, shipyard and Avery, too bad more breweries don't make them...
    Have you had anything from the Great Divide brewery Vinny? They make an oak aged imperial stout that I was increasingly impressed with as it neared room temp. Anyway, they also make a barley wine, haven't tried it yet.
    j0z3r:
    Jetmech_63:
    Have you had anything from the Great Divide brewery Vinny? They make an oak aged imperial stout that I was increasingly impressed with as it neared room temp. Anyway, they also make a barley wine, haven't tried it yet.

I haven't but you had me at imperial stout! I'm digging on bourbon barrel imp stouts at the moment but I wanna try them all! In 2 weeks I'll be at north coast, home of Old Rasputin...will need a cab that night. On a side note if anoyone needs anything from Firestone let me know, I go to the brewery about once a month.
    Rob1110:
    Sorry to hear you didn't like this one. I honestly love this brew. I think Suaba is a phenomenal example of a barrel aged barley wine. It is definitely on the sweet side but well balanced and has very distinct cherry and almond notes on it. I just did a beer tasting recently and this was one of the favorites among some serious beer collectors. Could be just the style.

Rogue makes some good stuff but these are very different brews. While I agree that barley wines generally stand up to age well, this one may be at its peak and with too much time might start to show metallic, oxidized notes. I have 3 in the Firestone aging box just to find out.

Parabola is set to release again in June, so that's right around the corner. A bottle of that was opened at the tasting as well (2011 release) and it's settling nicely but still very young. That one should age very well. I personally think it will stand up to 5+ years very easily.
    wow, this surprises me actually. We have similar tastes many times however this time .. no. My buddy who also loves beer wasn't a fan of it either. I even gave it a few more goes. I really need to try the Parabola though.
    Jetmech_63:
    j0z3r:
    Jetmech_63:

I haven't but you had me at imperial stout! I'm digging on bourbon barrel imp stouts at the moment but I wanna try them all! In 2 weeks I'll be at north coast, home of Old Rasputin...will need a cab that night. On a side note if anoyone needs anything from Firestone let me know, I go to the brewery about once a month.
    I'm sorry it's 18! I bought two more over the weekend along with a limited edition brown ale from the "rogue creamery" Guess it was a one time run. I'm quite jealous really, I'd love to go to the firestone brewery, they have some really yummy beers I'd love to try. I would love to try their 14th (special or limited run).