Home General Discussion

Best Beer?

I saw phobicsquirrel had posted about a disappointing beer he had, and I was wondering what everyone else considers the *best beer they have ever had. I'll go first:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/215/2512

Found a bar down in Alabama that happened to serve these, and at about $12 (for the 11.2oz), it blew my mind. Those Monks sure know what the heck they are doing...

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moylan's Imperial Stout. Ca.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Way too many for me to pick one. If you point a gun at my head I'd have to say natty light
  • I'm quite fond of Russian Imperial stouts. Avery's Czar is good, as is North Coast's Old Rasputin. Of course my home brewed beer ranks highly too.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Direwolf:
    Way too many for me to pick one. If you point a gun at my head I'd have to say natty light
    Lol....what about natty ice?

Dogfish 90 min ipa

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Corona with a lime followed by natty light. I'm not a huge fan of beer so I don't drink it much.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    It would be a tie dogfishhead 120 minute IPA, and Old Peculier....both completely different, and delicious.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Direwolf:
    +100,000,000. I think my body is 87% Natty
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    recently my favorite beers have been (in no particular order): Founders double trouble IPA, Southern Tier 2x IPA, Brother David's Triple Abby Ale, Thirsty Dog Brewing Co Cerberus Belgian Tripel, Lion Stout, Great Lakes Brewery Edmund Fitzgerald (porter)

• big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Stone Brewery
    My real favs are Left hand milk stout , Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout , or SixPoint's Sweet Action
  • kuzi16:
    recently my favorite beers have been (in no particular order): Founders double trouble IPA, Southern Tier 2x IPA, Brother David's Triple Abby Ale, Thirsty Dog Brewing Co Cerberus Belgian Tripel, Lion Stout, Great Lakes Brewery Edmund Fitzgerald (porter)

+1 to anything from Great Lakes. I always try to pick up at least the sampler box and a Christmas sixer whenever I can make it home for the holidays.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Tooth's Sheaf Stout (now owned by Foster's and called simply Sheaf Stout)

• SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    The best beer I ever had was a Bishop's Finger at a pub in Canterbury, England. Back home I spoil myself with a Hacker-Pschorr occasionally.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • cmartincmartin Posts: 130
    That Chimay is a great beer. Costco here by new has the 750ml bottle for $10. If you like that try celebrator. I can't remember the brewery. It starts w an "A". Also try St. Bernardus Apt12. All great dark Belgium beers.
  • I hate IPA, and I hate most micro-brews that I've tried. Can't stand Sierra Nevada, Anchor Steam, etc. My favorites are probably Fat Tire and Guinness, although I recently tried another amber ale (Alleycat Amber) and it was phenomenal.
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    I really enjoy IPA's and have to say it a 3 way tie between Dogfish Head 90 min, Dogfish Head Squall IPA & Southern Tier 2x IPA.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    If I'm not pounding them. I like to sit and enjoy a Newcastle Brown Ale. Funny thing is, I'm really not an "Ale Guy". Not convinced I've found an absolute favorite. Hmmm. Kinda like cigars......
  • jesenstenjesensten Posts: 36
    Favorite "everyday" beer... Surly Furious or Fulton Sweet Child of Vine

Favorite "one time" beer... Bell's Hopslam

Yep, I like hops... it seems to be a Twin Cities thing.

BTW, I'm new here... love the forums as a lurker but figured it's time to start posting!
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    For me it's a tie between Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale and Fuller's London Pride. Guiness comes in a very very close third.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    cmartin:
    Also try St. Bernardus Apt12. All great dark Belgium beers.
    Was going to mention that one myself, if I had to pick a favorite beer that one would be pretty high up on the list. Also the St Bernardus Wit is very nice, they make a quality beer. I'm not a hop-head, so I really appreciate a full flavored beer that's not too bitter. Have been enjoying the brews from Hangar 24 quite a bit, they're a local brewery about 40 mins away from me.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat, Holy Mackerel Panic Attack, Innis & Gunn Rum Cask
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In this order:

1)Cold

2)Open

3)In front of me.
  • jesenstenjesensten Posts: 36
    Vulchor:
    Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat, Holy Mackerel Panic Attack, Innis & Gunn Rum Cask

+1 on the Sunset Wheat. The Summer Shandy is also good on a 90+ degree day.
    JDH:
    For me it's a tie between Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale and Fuller's London Pride. Guiness comes in a very very close third.
    Love Samuel Smith's oatmeal stout and their organic cider
  • stowggiestowggie Posts: 399
    Pyramid apricot ale and add a orange slice it's great and or Drop Top with a lemon. Yes I fruit certain beers sorry but try them.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Unthought_Known:
    I hate IPA, and I hate most micro-brews that I've tried. Can't stand Sierra Nevada, Anchor Steam, etc. My favorites are probably Fat Tire and Guinness, although I recently tried another amber ale (Alleycat Amber) and it was phenomenal.
    Anchor? - not too bad
    Sierra Nevada - meh - I'm with you on that
    Fat Tire?? - Dude!!! - that's worse than BOTH Anchor or Sierra ....imho of course!
    Guinness - winnaahhh!! - one of my favorites
    From 2000 to mid 2003 I spent 50 to 70+ days/year in London (worked for an English company)
    2 Guinness for lunch and 4 after work was pretty much par for most of the guys who worked with me, Mon - thru Thurs.......Friday's were much worse............I developed a pretty serious Guinness habit which stayed with me for a year or two after working that job...........whew!

• big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    bandyt09:
    In this order:

1)Cold

2)Open

3)In front of me.
    I think we can all agree with that, and +1 chimay is a great beer
  • GrazuhGrazuh Posts: 164
    I can't pick one specific beer, but imperial IPA is my favorite type of beer right now. I can't wait for Great Lakes to release Lake Erie Monster again.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I'm an imperial stout ****. My long time favorite was North Coast Old Rasputin, followed closely by Drakes and Ten Fiddy RIS. Sierra Nevada 10th anniversary Barleywine is mind blowing, but i only have t bottles left. IPA's is Lagunitas or Stone Ruination. Amber/Brown would be Lost Coast Downtown Brown and a local microwbrew here in town called Sequoia Red. Too damn many to pick an overall winner but if you held a gun to my head it would be 21st Amendment Monks Blood which is damn near impossible to find, im don to my last 4 cans :(.
  • SporusSporus Posts: 236
    Lagunitas IPA is my go-to. I love me some Pliny the Elder when I can get my hands on it (or get my ace up to Santa Rosa).

All in all, though, I like trying new stuff. Kind of like how I am with cigars. Have ones I like, but don't drink them because I've had them before.