Home Cigar 101
Options

Shelving

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
My cooler has notches where I could put shelves in it. I use all cedar boxes in it. Can I us a non particle board like pine? I have many sheets of pine.

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I would not.....pine has such a strong scent that I'd fear it would be absorbed by, and tarnish the cigars.
    If you had a couple layers of cedar separating the cigars from the pine, idk maybe.

But with that being said, I'd like to add that my "coolidor" has a wood exterior which is pine - and I've never had an issue with the smell "leaking" into the coolidor. But then again there's a lot of "stuff" separating the pine and my cigars - 1/2 in. foam insert, steel/tin insert, and then that's lined with 1/4 in sp. cedar. & all of the cigars are stored in sp. cedar boxes...

So while I've not had a problem with it, keep in mind that I have multiple layers separating the pine from the cigars. Hope that helps.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    I would not. I think it would mess with the taste, and also it would dry them out.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Maybe you could use lacquer on the pine to keep the scent away from the cigars? I don't know if that would work or not.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Maybe you could use lacquer on the pine to keep the scent away from the cigars? I don't know if that would work or not.
    that was going to be my next question.
  • Options
    deejmemixx:
    j0z3r:
    You might pm bigharpoon, iirc he's a carpenter and might have some insight on this.
  • Options
    Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    I think Rockler wood working stores sale sheets of spanish ceader....
  • Options
    Rail Jockey:
    I think Rockler wood working stores sale sheets of spanish ceader....
    Ya i have found it online, was just hoping to be able to figure out a use for the stuff I have and not spend more of that proverbial $$
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    j0z3r:
    My guess would be polyurethane. Laquer is susceptible to weather conditions and I do not think it woudl do well in 70rh. This is coming from a guitar players perspective...where laquer is known to crack, peel, melt, etc... Poly on the other hand is rock solid and thick. However, then you get into spending $$$ and time....when you could just buy cedar.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    deejmemixx:
    j0z3r:
    My guess would be polyurethane. Laquer is susceptible to weather conditions and I do not think it woudl do well in 70rh. This is coming from a guitar players perspective...where laquer is known to crack, peel, melt, etc... Poly on the other hand is rock solid and thick. However, then you get into spending $$$ and time....when you could just buy cedar.
    I have nothing but time :D.. and I have everything I would need if it would work... would just hate to do it and ruin my sticks, not that they are anything like everyone elses, but non the less it would suck
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Well I know oil+weather+laquer is not a good combo, so i woudl suggest poly. Judging by how friggin thick that stuff lays on....I'd imagine it would not hurt a cigar. I do not know if it would have a negative impact on the rh though....I am thinking Kuzi needs to be involved in this discussion.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    I would go with Acrylic sheets - 3/8 inch, drill them out yourself for airflow (save a few bucks), round off the corners a bit, smooth out the edges, etc.
    Clean, strong, thin, elegant, simple, CHEAP.
    You can order them pre-cut to your exact specs - out here it's Tap Plastics, and others.
    Likely to be similar shops where you're at.

• Options
    KingoftheCove:
    I would go with Acrylic sheets - 3/8 inch, drill them out yourself for airflow (save a few bucks), round off the corners a bit, smooth out the edges, etc.
    You can order them pre-cut to your exact specs - out here it's Tap Plastics, and others.

Is that what you use??
    I like that idea - that's pretty smart. Less $$ and if you got the clear sheets you'd be able to see through to bottom of the humi (depending on how everythings arranged) ....

When I run out of room with cedar boxes I'll have to consider this

• Options
    jgibv:
    KingoftheCove:

Is that what you use??
    I like that idea - that's pretty smart. Less $$ and if you got the clear sheets you'd be able to see through to bottom of the humi (depending on how everythings arranged) ....

When I run out of room with cedar boxes I'll have to consider this
    would have never thought of this.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Is that what you use??
    I have acrylic in my traditional 150ct G. Watts humi - and it's where I got the idea. Not sure if it came that way, or the previous owner made the modification.

My current coolidor is in traditional orientation, and using ventilated plastic trays, cigar boxes and my modified plastic trays, I don't need dividers.

But, I already have my second coolidor designed, and it will be in vertical orientation (mounted in a wood frame), and I'll be using drilled out acrylic sheets for the shelves. I might even use colored acrylic.

(the second coolidor will have to wait............I'm on a self imposed spending freeze......)
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Well I know oil+weather+laquer is not a good combo, so i woudl suggest poly. Judging by how friggin thick that stuff lays on....I'd imagine it would not hurt a cigar. I do not know if it would have a negative impact on the rh though....I am thinking Kuzi needs to be involved in this discussion.
    anyone else think that poly would work?
  • Options
    That's actually a really good idea. A 3/8 or 1/2 inch thick sheet would make for a sturdy shelf and humidity won't bother it.
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Polyurethane can sometime go into reversion, hard state to soft when susceptible to long periods of moisture, but the new products like gorilla glues are poly based and requires surfaces to be moist? Acrylic is a nice idea, I have bought metal shelving/ wire shelving from hardware stores, cut to fit and put rubber ends on and all good, and the other one I have nothing but cedar boxes!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    KingoftheCove:
    jgibv:
    Is that what you use??
    I have acrylic in my traditional 150ct G. Watts humi - and it's where I got the idea. Not sure if it came that way, or the previous owner made the modification.

My current coolidor is in traditional orientation, and using ventilated plastic trays, cigar boxes and my modified plastic trays, I don't need dividers.

But, I already have my second coolidor designed, and it will be in vertical orientation (mounted in a wood frame), and I'll be using drilled out acrylic sheets for the shelves. I might even use colored acrylic.

(the second coolidor will have to wait............I'm on a self imposed spending freeze......)
    Good to know you have first hand experience with this and that it's working well for you.
    And I second what deejmemixx said - I never would have thought of this either.

• Options
    SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    Another option for you would be metal wire closet racks. You can find it at lowes cheap. It can be cut to fit, slides in and out with ease and is perfect for circulation. Just wanted to give you something else to think about.
  • Options
    Smokindaddy:
    Another option for you would be metal wire closet racks. You can find it at lowes cheap. It can be cut to fit, slides in and out with ease and is perfect for circulation. Just wanted to give you something else to think about.
    thanks man, will check into that
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    KingoftheCove:
    That always sucks!