Home Cigar 101

wet weather smoking

bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
How much does the weather affect the humidity and burn of a cigar? I ask this because I tried smoking a Gurkha rare breed tonight and it really burned like crap. There is the very real possibility that it could be from a number of things, like: the humidity in my local shop where I bought it only a few days ago is too high; keeping it in MY humidor for 30 minutes wasn't long enough (yuk-yuk-yuk); it was a bum cigar,etc.

The terribly uneven burn took me by surprise and I had to nurse the cigar the whole time. I could find very little literature about these cigars but it seemed to have a nice flavor (when I wasn't outright struggling with it). I have some other Rare Breeds which will stay a while in my humi before I try again. For $3/each why not?

It is very moist in Maine right now and will continue to be for many days. I don't want to continue to ruin other cigars if wet weather really plays that large a role in the smoke. If not, I guess it just needs more time in my humidor???

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I would advise against smoking in windy weather, rainy weather. If you can move into a garage or anywhere inside. Rain can put out a cigar or even worse get it wet which well if it gets wet your going to have problems. Wind will blow it out and even make it burn very uneven. More than likely it will go out. Also if it's too humid and your cigars are use to a low RH such as 65 or 63 they can split, not burn well, or even burn too much. Some of the things I have had happen to me. If you feel the humidity is too high outside, I usually leave the cigar(s) out of the humi for an hour or two before smoking it.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Last summer, I noticed that on really humid days (like the day after a big rain) my cigar could put itself out and I'd have to smoke more quickly. Conversely, this winter, when it was warm enough to smoke outside, I noticed the cigars would burn much faster. In both cases, the quality of the burn was rather poor. I think this year I'm going to try to keep summer smokes in the 63-65% range, where in the winter, I'll bump them up to 70%
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    phobicsquirrel:
    I would advise against smoking in windy weather, rainy weather. If you can move into a garage or anywhere inside. Rain can put out a cigar or even worse get it wet which well if it gets wet your going to have problems. Wind will blow it out and even make it burn very uneven. More than likely it will go out. Also if it's too humid and your cigars are use to a low RH such as 65 or 63 they can split, not burn well, or even burn too much. Some of the things I have had happen to me. If you feel the humidity is too high outside, I usually leave the cigar(s) out of the humi for an hour or two before smoking it.

THATS why I've been having such a time snorkeling and smoking my cigar ;) ( just bustin' yer furry balls pheebs ROFL)
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    dutyje:
    Last summer, I noticed that on really humid days (like the day after a big rain) my cigar could put itself out and I'd have to smoke more quickly. Conversely, this winter, when it was warm enough to smoke outside, I noticed the cigars would burn much faster. In both cases, the quality of the burn was rather poor. I think this year I'm going to try to keep summer smokes in the 63-65% range, where in the winter, I'll bump them up to 70%
    I believe in a beads post a few weeks back i suggested this idea exactly based on my own experience. 70% in summer causes burn problems, i swear it.
  • TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    gmill880:
    phobicsquirrel:

THATS why I've been having such a time snorkeling and smoking my cigar ;) ( just bustin' yer furry balls pheebs ROFL)

You are keeping your cigar in the snorkel aren't you Gene? That usually works fine for me.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I notice my cigars behave differently during the summer here, because of the high humidity, but I can't say it's caused me to do anything differently.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Tumbler:
    gmill880:
    phobicsquirrel:

You are keeping your cigar in the snorkel aren't you Gene? That usually works fine for me.
    lol, I'll show you some furry balls!!! =p
    Tumbler:
    gmill880:
    phobicsquirrel:

HA!
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    gmill880:
    Tumbler:
    gmill880:
    phobicsquirrel:

HA!
    This has the makings of a classic photo to swirl around the internet... some guy snorkeling in beautiful water in the Caribbean, with a cigar sticking out the top. Any snorkelers around here with a good camera wanna jump on that bad boy?
    dutyje:
    gmill880:
    Tumbler:
    gmill880:
    phobicsquirrel:

HA!
    This has the makings of a classic photo to swirl around the internet... some guy snorkeling in beautiful water in the Caribbean, with a cigar sticking out the top. Any snorkelers around here with a good camera wanna jump on that bad boy?

That would be great!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Not to diverge off the excellent idea of smoking a cigar while snorkeling...I thought I'd give an update on my wet weather smoking:

I tried again last night and smoked a Hoyo Excalibur while walking around the shore at night through absolute pea-soup fog. It was not raining but fog saturates the air and is as wet as wet can be without actually raining, and the cigar smoked beautifully!!! It was my first Excalibur and I really enjoyed the flavor of it. The warm, dry spice really went well with the slight misting breeze, little visibility, listening to the waves wash up on shore, the fog horns from our many lighthouses and unseen vessel's underway blasts...just a great environment and a great smoke to boot.

I had no problems with the burn or draw, it all went perfectly. I guess my bad experience with the Gurkha was based on the cigar itself and I'm gonna give the remaining ones more time before going back to them. I'm psyched the incident was cigar related as we have our fair share of wet weather here. Thanks for the RH suggestions, I'll try that as well. Now, back to snorkeling...
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    The excalibur is a pretty decent stick, ill give you that. To be honest, i rarely ever hear hoyo's spoken about around here.
  • smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Wow sounds like a really relaxing time. Ill have to try that while walking my dog.
    Looks like a wet cold day up on the mountain today ...that sucks after being in low 80's at my house yesterday...