Home Cigar 101

cigar color. Are you drawn to certain shades?

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, so I'm really bored tonight, so I'm doing something I normally don't do a lot and that is post.

Do you find yourself being drawn to certain shades of cigars?
Like Dark maduros, mediums, like cameroons or lights, like connecticuts? Just examples, as not all those types are light dark or medium, but you get the idea.

I find myself being drawn to the medium to dark shades. Mostly because I seem to have a mindset on the cameroons. I can't seem to get away from them, no matter how hard I try. And I do like a lot of the maduros.

No question that it can sometimes bite me in the backside.
But I was just curious as to if you are drawn visually to certain shades and what those are?
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh absolutely. Because I know next to nothing, I buy a lot of sticks just based on whether I think the wrapper looks pretty. Too many sticks in the store are wrapped. If they were naked, I could sniff them. Instead, I go for a shiny marbled beautiful leaf. So I do buy a fair number of darker cigars. But the ones I enjoy most are always lighter. My daily go-to stick is pale pale green. My ambrosia stick is a Connecticut wrap.

I figure it's just because I am a raw newb. Naturally, a beginner ought to be drawn to a creamier, milder smoke. Five years from now, I may have the tongue for a tarry black maduro. Right now, my tongue is less than a year old. I'm at pablum stage.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used to at the beginning, almost exclusively maduros. But now I like to have a wide range sometimes you want sweet sometimes you want spicy.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Oily reddish wrappers are my jam.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    +1
    docbp87:
    Oily reddish wrappers are my jam.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I can taste the color by looking at it. YES.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    A bit of a candela fetish here. If I see a green wrapper in a B&M & I havent had it, I literally cannot walk out of the place without buying one!

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The Sniper:
    A bit of a candela fetish here. If I see a green wrapper in a B&M & I havent had it, I literally cannot walk out of the place without buying one!

If you see the Viaje White Label Project candela, keep on walking. Jmo, but what a boring cigar...the Fuente 858 candela runs circles around it for a much nicer price.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's darker and toothier than most of the raisin's that my dog drops, I know it's going to be a kick-azz stick for my palate. Extra-bold and full flavored with mile-deep complexity is my bag and I get that 8/10 times with those wrappers.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    Ok, so I'm really bored tonight, so I'm doing something I normally don't do a lot and that is post.

Like Dark maduros, mediums, like cameroons or lights, like connecticuts? Just examples, as not all those types are light dark or medium, but you get the idea.

I find myself being drawn to the medium to dark shades. Mostly because I seem to have a mindset on the cameroons. I can't seem to get away from them, no matter how hard I try. And I do like a lot of the maduros.

But I was just curious as to if you are drawn visually to certain shades and what those are?

So far I am in agreeabce with you as a Newb I am really enjoying the darker wraps they seem more flavorful. It could just be where I'm trying to develop my pallet. Just my 2 cents..
  • Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    0patience:

So far I am in agreeabce with you as a Newb I am really enjoying the darker wraps they seem more flavorful. It could just be where I'm trying to develop my pallet. Just my 2 cents..
    Medic45:
    0patience:

Nothing wrong with that. Something you'll find out the more you smoke many different cigars is that wrapper shade has very little bearing on the amount of flavor, but rather it predicts the flavors you're likely to experience. What I look for always is an oily wrapper, that's heaven to me.
    j0z3r:
    The Sniper:

If you see the Viaje White Label Project candela, keep on walking. Jmo, but what a boring cigar...the Fuente 858 candela runs circles around it for a much nicer price.
    Appreciate the tip Joe. The 858's are a favorite and my humidor's are never without them. :-)

• allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    While we're on the topic of candelas, what are good candela wrapper cigars to seek out? I have some of the Fuente Floor Fina 858 Candela in my humi, but I haven't tried them yet.

I'm looking for suggestions... besides the Vijae White Label Project candela, lol!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Medic45:
    0patience:

Do not count out lighter smokes my friend. Avo, Diamond Crown, and many habano wrappers do not have the darkness, yet can be flavor bombs. Personally, I have found color does not matter at all as I have found dark wrappers that are light on the palate, and light wrappers that are heavy. I am with Jozer, I am looking for oily wrappers. And to the OP, personally.....I love the dark oily reddish brown hue and am drawn to it every time.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I am usually on opposite ends of the spectrum. I'm visually drawn to dark OILY wrappers or smooth silky looking connecticuts.
    allsmokedup:
    While we're on the topic of candelas, what are good candela wrapper cigars to seek out? I have some of the Fuente Floor Fina 858 Candela in my humi, but I haven't tried them yet.

I'm looking for suggestions... besides the Vijae White Label Project candela, lol!
    Of course the 858 candela, I would call that cigar the standard by which all candelas should be measured. LFD has a candela now that is quite good. Illusione makes some vitolas in the original line with a candela wrapper, the HL candela is a must. Camacho also makes a candela.
  • oilburneroilburner Posts: 91
    j0z3r:
    allsmokedup:

Of course the 858 candela, I would call that cigar the standard by which all candelas should be measured. LFD has a candela now that is quite good. Illusione makes some vitolas in the original line with a candela wrapper, the HL candela is a must. Camacho also makes a candela.

Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of the hl candela, but maybe I don't like candela wrappers that much. It was very vegetal with a hint of cardboard. The b&m suggested I give the lfd double claro a shot. I picked one up but haven't tried it yet.
    My experience with candelas is that vegetal is a common taste. Try the lfd, see what you think. Sure I think the HL candela is great, but that's me.
    Surprisingly, I picked up a low $$$ box of Puros Indios candelas. They are small, tin-sized cigars and come in a box of 50 if I remember correctly. Took a flier on them as they cost so little and was very pleasantly surprised.

• KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    I can't help but drool when I see a dark, or chocolate cigar with tooth, dripping oils. I'm a sucker for oily and dark stogies.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:

I've never really gotten into candela wrappers. Maybe I haven't had the right one, yet.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    I haven't tried ANY yet! As soon as I stumble upon one I have a $20 in my wallet stashed behind my ID just for the occasion!

To answer the question... My favorite cigar is two toned. Pick the first color, separate it by a thin black line and the other side is grey with flakes of red!
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Dark and oily. That is what draws me to A certain cigar.
  • StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    I'm drawn to a dark, oily maduro.  I just love watching the head changes to a darker, richer color throughout the smoke.  I especially like seeing the wrapper get that shiny, oily sheen while I'm smoking it.  It has a calming affect.
  • FNAFNA Posts: 55
    Candelas do have a very distinctive taste and aroma. Some call it vegetal, I think of it as grassy.

When you try be ready for a different expeerience - it is akin to the difference between flavored and natural.

I think among the reasons so many do not care for candela wrappers is that they are not prepared for the big difference.

I was a wine hobbyist before becoming a cigar hobbyist as well. Those of you with that background will comprehend when I say that I look at candela wrappers as the Gewurtztraminer of cigars. Generally no neutral position - you like 'em or you can't stand them.

Me, i like 'em.

I have some Indian tabac Churchills that are nice, Camacho has been mentioned, Baccarat, I like TCC Iguana perfectos, palma real torpedoes at $1.50 each... .

One last on candela - try one with a martini (a real martini not a vodka martini). Cool.