Home Cigar 101
Options

Vitola Size/construction issues

beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
Is it just me? I seem to experience construction issues with coronas and lanceros more often that other gauge sizes. I suspect that rolling a long skinny cigar is different than larger gauges. I often get a soft spot., or a plug. And with the narrow size, it ruins the rest of the cigar. I've found that I can get past construction problems with robustos and toros, but the problems with the narrow gauges generally ruin the stick. JMO. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Comments

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    How fast do you smoke? I puff significantly different with these sizes than the larger smokes and smoke very slow.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    From what I've heard, the best rollers roll the lanceros as they are much tougher to roll
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    From what I've heard, the best rollers roll the lanceros as they are much tougher to roll
    this is very true.

i nthe narrow rings there is less "forgiveness" in the filler. a minor twist or too much pressure or an uneven bunch will show up as a plug in a smaller cigar before it would in a larger one. the larger on has more filler around it for air/smoke to get by.

it is much harder to roll a 7x 38 than a 6 x 60
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I have always found the same thing. The smaller the ring gauge the more likley that I am going to experience a draw problem with a stick.

I also find that the Torps. have a higher then normal draw problem as well, that is why I like to stick to Toro's most of the time, and ALWAYS when trying a new stick. I do like some smaller gauge sticks and the Torps sometimes too, but I do have more problems with them then larger ring gauge sticks.